Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. I <3 Ludwigs.

I have no qualms using my through shell mounts on any of my drums that have them. In fact, I've only had 1 drum out of the dozens I've owned with any kind of suspension system, and I don't even use it! (ISS)
    I have found that the drums sing more if I can get the tom arm to only stick in the drum far enough so the clamp can grab it tightly. Try it out sometime. Then compare to how it sounds when there's 4-8" of tom arm going into the drum. I've noticed a big difference.
    I could see how that would be difficult to accomplish with a rack, though.

2. Registered User

I've just removed the whole mount from my 13" big R tom as I'm using it in a snare stand. I'll be really honest, i wanted the badge facing outwards, and if i did this it meant the mount was up against my snare which i didn't like. Surprisingly hasn't effected the sound much.

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by motopsycho View Post
    I've just removed the whole mount from my 13" big R tom as I'm using it in a snare stand. I'll be really honest, i wanted the badge facing outwards, and if i did this it meant the mount was up against my snare which i didn't like. Surprisingly hasn't effected the sound much.

One of the cosmetic issues Rogers corrected in the early XP8 production period was to move the Badge and grommet from its original Big R positions to a new position 180 degrees opposite the mount. This made it so that no matter how a drum was suspended, there would be a uniform face seen by the audience. This made the drums look better away from the set. These positions were in use on XP8 drums from 1980-1984, when Rogers USA ceased to exist.

4. Registered User

It's this "correction" that has caused the problem haha! It would be ok if it was 45 degrees, but now it creates a good 2" gap between the tom and snare, and if you see how i set my kit up i have them very close so needed it removed!

I'm actually feeling rather guilty now and I'm considering putting it back on turning the tom round and stop being so vain!!!

5. Rogers Drums Rule!

The completed kit. I may have gone overboard Lol!

6. Rogers Drums Rule!

As of about a month ago I do have an 18" floor tom!

7. Registered User

Jazzcat,

Beautiful. Nice and clean "big kit"!

MM
    2019 Masterworks / Matte Black

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT