Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
  1. Comrade Tim

Thanks for the input guys much appreciated....I'm actually going with a VBA, 22, 10, 12, 14, 16 in either the Black Pinstripe or the Ruby Eucalyptus fade...no need for an 8" tom in this band - tho I might add a 20" kick later on...would be my first double kick kit...but gotta see how far this band gets...

@Sparks are you using clear or coated emps? Still using stock resonant?

Kit Pix
    Pearl | Aquarian | Zildjian | Vater | Yamaha

2. Registered User

im using a 24-12-16-18 vbx with a 14X6,5 ultracast, and ive played about 10 gigs with this setup.
    no complaints whatsoever. hardware works fine, got a few loosened lugs now and again, but mainly
    because my tuning is ridiculously low to begin with...
    Gretsch Renown Maple in Satin Black (24-13-16),
    Pearl Ultracast (14x6,5) , Paiste 2oo2 & Giant Beat, Tama Iron Cobra

3. Comrade Tim

I'll be making some slight modifications - removing the tom bracket, changing out the ISS mounts for Optimounts....I'm just getting the shell pack as I'll be using my existing 900 series and 2000 series hardware...no rack on this setup...

Kit Pix

4. 3 up & 1 down

I've been using a VSX 22-8-10-12-16 out for a while now... add me to the list of great kit to play out with! I like Evans EC2 coated over Evans Genera Resonants and GMAD on the kick. Great sound! I think you'll do fine with the VBA!
    Sessions SSC Sheer Blue 8x7, 10x7, 12x8, 16x14, 22x16
    Sensitone Brass 13x5.5
    Zildjian Cymbals 14in K/Z3 Mstrsnd, 19in K Dark [MT], 17in K Dark [MT], 15in A [T], 20in K Cust Dry
    Custom ICON Compact Rack

5. Comrade Tim

Excellent - thanks for the input....not sure when I'll be getting these but my mind is made up...need to get a few shows under our belts and some money put back...I can get a killer deal on one at any time so I'm not in a huge rush....I'm going to use my Session kit until I can get these....

Kit Pix

6. Groove Controller

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah Hex View Post
    @Sparks are you using clear or coated emps? Still using stock resonant?
    Clear emperors on the batters. Stock resos on the toms. I use a coated ambassador on the kick reso with Pearl logo vinyl sticker.

7. Angoose

Yep, they're great kits, although i've only gigged mine two or three times, i've never had anything that could be called a problem. I'm running coated emperors over stock resos on the toms and stock heads on the bass drum, and they sound great! Time for a change now though, the heads are well over a year old. I'm thinking of going to clear emperor route second time round.

8. Registered User

I've just started gigging out with my '07/'08 VSXs. No problems so far. Great sounding set, but maybe could be a little lighter.
    Ken....

9. mean, nasty, & tired

I just played my first gig with my VSX's last Saturday, at a bar I've played many times with my Tama Artstar II's and my Yamaha Stage Customs. Quite frankly, the Pearls outperformed them both, IMO. The kick drum and floor toms in particular just buried the other two, and the Visions seemed to be louder than the other two kits (all 3 kits unmic'd, I held back a bit with the Pearls, something I don't recall doing with the other two). These are great gigging drums; actually, these are great drums, period. I'd put my Visions, with my preferred heads and my tuning, up against a lot of the more more expensive drums I've played. Very happy with these drums.

10. Registered User

I am playing about three weekends a month and using the VSX Ebony Feathered Walnut kit with an added special order amtching 14 floor tom and the limited addition matching 6 snare. I also use Evans EC2s on all toms, Evans ST Dry on the snare and EMAD on kick. These are good sounding drums. We record live some times and they give great tone. The other nice thing about this set is that Pearl only made 200 plus I had custom additions so it is unlikely in the circles that I play in that another drummer will have a kit like it. The unique beauty of this kit sparks comments from the crowd also and as you know in most cases the drummer is not usually noticed over the front man. I will mention that I also play a Reference set with the same configuration on higher paying jobs and in my studio, but for the clubs and smaller venues you cant beat the Visions ruggedness and performance.

Name:  155747_1350109971123_1782570556_657606_128455_n.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  86.6 KB

11. Drummin' Dad

they've worked great for me. Good live sound. If i could just keep a steady crew to help move them from gig to gig...
    VSX Gun Metal Sparkle
    10 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 16 - 22x2 Sensitone Snare

Zildjian
    Remo Pin Stripe
    Vater LA 5A

12. Registered User

I had a set of Slingerlands for years, which I recently sold (call me crazy) because I could not afford the ebay or other custom priced hardware replacements...I bought a VSX set a few years back just to "kick around" .. I love this VSX set. I've been thinking about buying an MCX and I've played a few, but I just keep coming back to my VSX, which I use to gig with 6-8 times a month..I keep thinking something must be wrong with my ears, or maybe I just prefer the sound of birch..I guess its possible that all of those years of maple 'warmth' may be making me lean to the punch of birch today, I don't know..I use a powestroke 3 with an emad reso on the kick, evans ec2 ssts (try them, they will not disappoint) with regular evans black resos on the toms. I have a remo ambassador x on the sensitone snare with a stock snare side. I replaced the snares with pure sound snares. The VSX set sounds great in my opinion.