Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. I'm actually sane

2 POS Nady Wireless mics
    SAManiac's kit is really freaking cool If I do say so myself...
    Quote Originally Posted by nik12 View Post
    Any posts that need to declare themselves as "full of win" are clearly devoid of win.

2. Registered User

MXL 990 (x2)
    MXL 991 (x2)
    Studio Projects B1
    Studio Projects C1
    Shure PG58 (x2)
    Shure SM57 (x6)
    Shure SM58 (x2)
    Shure Beta52
    Peavey PVM520i

(Old Peavey Drum Mic Pack)
    Peavey PVM321
    Peavey PVM325
    Peavey PVM328 (x3)

I think that's it
    Pacific MXR 24-8-10-12-14-16 in Ebony Oil

Paiste Cymbals- 15, 20, 24" Giant Beats, 20" Signature Traditional Prototype Crash, 20" 2000 Mellow China

Check out my band: Last Year's Winners

3. Drumoholic

Update:

I just added 2 Audix D2's to my collection.

EDIT: I also made my own SubKick.
    Last edited by pearlreference7101; 05-27-2012 at 09:27 AM.
    Church Drummers Army
    Pearl Reference in Scarlet Fade
    Tama Superstar in White Satin Haze
    Pearl - Tama - Zildjian - Vater

4. Professional Slacker

Audio Technica AT 2021 pair
    Audix D2, D2, D4, D4, D6, D6, i5,
    MXL 990
    Sony ECM DS70P Camera Condenser

5. Registered User

4x Shure SM57
    1x Shure Beta52
    4x Apex 185
    3x Apex 435
    1x Apex 460
    1x Rode NT1A
    1x AKG C2000B
    2x Sennheiser MD421
    1x Electro-Voice RE10
    1x Onkyo Subkick

and I'm forgetting one.... because I know I have a flat 20....

next on my list are a couple of Sennheiser e609s or a couple of midrange ribbons... haven't decided yet.
    Last edited by Chief Pronto; 04-27-2012 at 10:41 PM.
    I've left the PDF. Email me at mjdurante (at) gmail (dot com).

Drums: Pearl SMX & Dream Bliss | Ludwig/Canwood & Sabian | Roland TD-12
    Restorations: Black '70s Slingerland | '66 Slingerland | White '70s Slingerland | '90s Sonor Force | CP Snares
    Bands: Captain Starr | stereoINs

6. Registered User

New additions to the family! I guess I have a thing for dynamic mics...

AKG D222E
    AKG D3600
    Beyerdynamic M101N(C)
    Beyerdynamic M201N(C)
    Beyerdynamic M69N(C) (x2)
    Beyerdynamic M69 TG
    Beyerdynamic TG-X50 (x2)
    Electro Voice 635A/B
    Electro Voice PL-10
    Electro Voice RE27 N/D
    Electro Voice RE320

Sennheiser e906
    Sennheiser MD441U

The D3600 is a cardioid dynamic dual-element mic. It has seperate high-end and low-end elements crossed over at 500hz. Like with my AKG D222E, this is used to offer a very wide and flat frequency response (for a dynamic mic especially) eliminate proximity effect and also causes the mic to have a very flat off-axis response and thus a very uniform pattern over all frequencies. This mic takes EQ like a champ and so lends itself very nicely to 'sculpting'. Useful around lots of sources, especially kicks, toms, guitar cabs, horns and leslie cabinets.

The EV 635A/B is the industry standard news-gathering microphone. Omnidirectional dynamic mic. Tough as nails, multiple-layer pop filters and a very cool mid-rangey vibe. Cool on guitar cabs, room/ambiance and special effects.

The EV RE27 N/D is a modern take on the classic RE20 broadcast dynamic microphone. It's comparably brighter, but also has a good choice of filters to change its response to your liking. Great inside a kick, bass cabs, toms, snare, snare bottom, hand percussion spoken word, screaming or rap vocals.

The EV RE320 is the modern evolution of the RE20. Not as bright as the RE27, and it has a switch with a 'normal' mode and 'kick drum' mode, which changes the response to be more suitable for miking the inside of a kick drum. Killer bass cab mic too, and sweet on toms and hand percussion.
    Last edited by thismercifulfate; 05-19-2012 at 01:55 AM.

7. Miles Gibbons

2x Rode NT5
    2x Shure Beta 52
    Shure SM57
    Beyerdynamic Opus 88
    Apex 65

8. Drumoholic

I just nabbed another SM57 for $5 at a garage sale. It's a little beat up, but I used it on snare at my church, and it sounded great!
    Church Drummers Army
    Pearl Reference in Scarlet Fade
    Tama Superstar in White Satin Haze
    Pearl - Tama - Zildjian - Vater

9. This is just a tribute

Something that I think would be far more useful here would be to not only list the mics you own, but also to describe some particulars about anything that isn't "standard" such as the SM57 or 58. With that said:

~~ 1 - Shure SM57 - standard stuff here
    ~~ 3 - Behringer XM8500s - I got these mics because they review SO well. Think Shure SM58 but a touch hotter but VERY simililar in character. I got 3 for $60 - no regrets. They may not hold up like an SM58, but for the price, you can buy 5 of them for the price of a single SM58, they sound arguably as good, (and some engineers like them better) and they would be a great way to hook up a live band with vocal mics on a budget, and they aren't terrible to use in my home studio - mainly used for doing scratch vocals in the control room though.
    ~~ 1 - MXL V67G - LD condenser, it reviews well and I find it to be a decent vocal mic - smooth highs and mids, but I'd like a little more out of the low side. I've used this quite a bit.
    ~~ 2 - Audix Fusion 15 small diaphragm condensers - I don't have a lot of basis for comparison, but I use these for overheads and I like them a lot - nice highs capturing my cymbals without sounding harsh or brittle
    ~~ 1 - Shure SM7B - right now this is the jewel of my mic locker. Think SM57 but a lot fatter and very clear. My issue is that it's a gain hog and needs almost all of the 60db of available gain from my Focusrite Saffire Pro 40. Fortunately my pre's are pretty quiet. I bought it for a vocal mic, but in a lot of ways I prefer the V67G - mainly because of the differences between condenser and dynamic - the V67G is a hotter, more present mic, but it's not nearly as versatile as the SM7B. I've used the SM7B as a bass drum mic, but I'd like to get a genuine mic designed for bass drum.
    ~~ CAD 7 mic drum pack (KM212 kick, 3 TM211 toms, 1 SN 210 snare, 2 CM 217 SD condenser mics) I got these on an online deal for $99 - they are pretty much what you'd expect. The kick mic is pretty mushy and nondescript, the SN210 snare mic can't hold a candle to an SM57, but the tom mics aren't bad. I have yet to try the condensers from this pack. This is the mic pack I got in a pinch when I was playing at a church in desperate need of some gear. My thought on this pack after having had it for a while is that it will get you by if you need some amplification, but there are probably better budget level sets out there. I almost picked up an EV PL drum mic set once, but I already had these so I passed - in retrospect I wish I wouldn't have.

That's my list of mics.
    Patrick G.

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems could be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." -- Anonymous

"Let's be honest... drummers don't have piles of money laying around, just piles of drums." -- Gord the Drummer

10. Registered User

Shure Beta52
    Shure SM57 (5)
    Audix D2 (3)
    Audix D4
    Sterling ST31 (2)
    Sterling ST51

11. Registered User

I think Trick brings up a valid point. Although I know very little technical jargon I will do my best to briefly describe my mics.

AKG d112- very popular kick mic with a very natural sound which seems to be largely dependent upon placement, when it's right it's great and true

Audix D6- seemingly tailored sound with less demand for placement, easier to work with than the d112 but you have to like it's inherent sound

Shure SM57- workhorse snare mic and also performs well on toms, a first mic for many and very easy to use

AKG d40 x3- rarely use them as the oh's seem to handle the toms just fine, so can't really comment

AKG c430 x2- said to have high self noise but so far have proven to be very easy to work with, somewhat dark, yet clear and articulate sounding

Rode Nt1A- very sensitive and with a wide tonal spectrum, this condenser lets a lot more air,brightness and depth in vs the c430s, just seems more full

I'm actually looking to pick up another set of ohs for a home studio that I am just about moved into. What is the best bang for my buck with a budget of 500 bucks? I likely won't be micing any toms so I will be leaning on the ohs for a really good view of the kit. And I am certainly not opposed to buying used.

Mapex Saturn IV 10 12 14 20 red blue hybrid sparkle for sale pm me.

12. a.k.a. YtseJam

Two complete Audix packs - a DP7 and a DP4a, so mics in them would be:
    4x Audix D2
    2x Audix D4
    1x Audix D6
    2x Audix i5
    2x Audix ADX51