Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default My Double Bass Pearl Forum Kit (with a bit of back story!)

**Updated with new pictures in post 8**

I thought I'd start at the beginning! (There are quite a few pictures below)

Well, I first got into drumming around 4 years ago when I started university and decided that I wanted to learn to play. After attending jam sessions with the university music society for a while and getting into it, I purchased a cheap Dixon Tempo kit for £100 from a neighbour when I got back home after my first year. It started life as a basic, slightly rusty 5 piece with beginner 'cymbals' which I slowly upgraded with new hardware, a double bass pedal and an AAX ride and crash. Here's a few photos of it outside on a nice day back in 2010:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a38.../drum_10_1.jpg
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a38.../drum_10_2.jpg

I used that kit mainly when I was home from university during easter/christmas/summer and it did the job, but since graduating last summer and being able to play more, I thought it would be a good opportunity to upgrade. I then came across somebody selling two Pearl Forum series shell packs (one rock, one fusion) at a great price, and decided to go for it! I know the Forum series are still low end drums, but they are a massive improvement from the Dixon kit! And from reading around, it seems that they are a similar level to the old Export kits, with the ISS tom mounts.

Here's a couple of pictures of my initial setup (temporarily in the conservatory) with new drum heads, removed bass drum tom mounts (with DIY covers!), newly purchased Iron Cobra pedals, Black Panther snare and throne:

I then got a Pearl Icon rack, some new boom arms and cymbals, and then moved the kit into the garage (where it will now live!) It's not the best place for photos, so I will try and take it outside when it is a nice day, but living in the UK means you don't get many of those! I still am in the process of tweaking positions at the moment, I know a few are slightly off in the photos.

And here's the full specs:

Pearl Forum FZ Series in black with black hardware
    2x 22x18" bass drums
    8x7", 10x8", 12x9", 13x10" mounted toms (the 8x7" is a Millenium branded one, as Pearl don't make 8" Forum series toms!)
    14x14", 16x16" floor toms
    Mapex Black Panther Exotic Burl maple snare

Evans EMAD on bass drums (with Remo Falam Slam patches), Evans G2 Coated on toms and G1 Coated on snare

Tama Iron Cobra Power Glide pedals, with wood beaters
    Pearl Icon rack (currently using two sides due to space restrictions)
    Yamaha CH-755 boom arms (plus a Yamaha 800 series boom stand for the ride)
    Pearl hi hat stand (attached to rack using a tom arm and clamps)
    Millenium throne, X-Hat attachment and boom arms for the Orion splash and cowbell

Cymbals (L-R):
    Orion 8" Splash
    Sabian AAX 14" Stage Hats
    Sabian AAX 16" Dark Crash
    Stagg DH 8" Splash
    Sabian Hand Hammered 12" Splash
    Paiste PST5 18" Rock Crash
    Stagg SH 12" China
    Stagg SH 18" China
    Sabian HHX Evolution 14" Hats
    Sabian AAX 20" Metal Ride

My next plans are to get an RJ-50 connecting bar for the front of the rack, and replace the Paiste crash with some kind of 18" Sabian crash (AAX, HH or HHX) but that requires more saving up! And then in the long term, I plan to add another two crashes and a left hand side china, and that's pretty much it!
    Last edited by wicker_man; 03-06-2012 at 03:57 PM.
    Pearl Forum FZ Series (Black w/ Black Hardware) Double Bass Kit
    14x5.5" Mapex Black Panther Exotic Burl Maple Snare
    Sabian AAX/Paiste PST5/Stagg SH Cymbals

2. PDF's Only Catdog

Great setup man, black on black is always a winner in my books

But If I could offer some advice it would be to lower you crashes a little bit, unless your really tall and sit rather high

And welcome to the PDF man
    Quote Originally Posted by dexplosion View Post
    Soon, there will be no drummers, only a guy standing in the background clapping.

3. The Hardware Guy

Massive improvement - I always liked the Forum drums for one distinct reason; they might be Pearls entry level kits, but with the right heads and a bit of tuning know how, they can sound much much better than you'd expect a kit of that price point to. Add to that the hardware they come with and you've got a real good kit.

I really dig the set up too, nice job bro!

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

4. Pearl & Zildjian

a great kit !!
    Pearl Vision VSX & Zildjian & Paiste Cymbals
    http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=246977Latest pics page 80 !

5. Registered User

woaah I AM AMAZED! i have Forum Series in Jet Black but.. this Set really open up my eyes how far this Forum kit can goes *Thumbs up* i am planning to buy another bass drum and starts to pick some drumhead and take off the original drumhead ^^v anyway Your Kit Looks Really Cool All In Black

6. Music Lover

I like your kit. My Exports have the same shells, and they sound quite good. Enjoy! Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman ><>

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Mapex Saturn (snare, bass drum, and toms); Mapex MPX (snare); Sabian AA, AAX, HHX, and SR2 ; Evans ; LA Backbeat

Church Drummers Army

7. kottonmouth king

Your **** is dope

"Smudge got her stitches out and so had to have a collar attached tofday." -Maark

8. Registered User

Thanks for the compliments, glad people like my kit! I am mostly happy with it, the Millenium 8" tom doesn't have black hardware though but I don't mind!

Quote Originally Posted by FarFromTheTruth View Post
    But If I could offer some advice it would be to lower you crashes a little bit, unless your really tall and sit rather high
    Yep I know they look a bit high in the photos, that was because I had just set it up. They were lowered after the photos were taken (along with some other adjustments like tom/bass drum angles.)

9. Registered User

We have had a few nice days recently so I took my kit into the garden to get some better photos as promised!

10. Pearl & Zildjian

Beautiful !
    Pearl Vision VSX & Zildjian & Paiste Cymbals
    http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=246977Latest pics page 80 !

11. PDF's Only Catdog

Gotta love 9pce setups

Can I make another suggestion tho, sell of your current 8x7 tom and get a VB (from the Vision series) they come black on black that way it would fit in better

Have some more rep man
    Quote Originally Posted by dexplosion View Post
    Soon, there will be no drummers, only a guy standing in the background clapping.

12. The Honey Badger....

Nicely done! My Forum set in Smokey Chrome is the only thing I have seen that is more beautiful