Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Pearl does it for me

Default Restoration of my Pearl G314LXDC Snare

The History:
    This snare is a "G" series snare from 1980 to 1983. It's a 6 1/2 x 14 8 ply Maple shell.
    It's my go to snare for playing live and in the studio...

With it's usual sticker:

I bought it second hand in 1985, I wanted a wood shell snare to use rather than the steel shell snare that came with my DX kit that I bought at the same time.
    The previous owner decided he wanted a different action on it, but kept the original S-017 parallel action, so I got that with it when I bought it...

The replaced action might look a little familiar:

Here's the S-017 action:

The S-013 wires for the S-017 action are no longer produced, what to do?
    I measured up the snare length and this fitted, but required modification:

Does this look familiar too?

I tried to drill out the rivets, but they were loose and spun, so out with the angle grinder.
    Here's the end plates afterwards:

I had already wrapped the lug springs and put hand cut rubber gaskets under the lugs some time ago, so that I could leave alone.

Removed the Luddy action and butt plate, re installed the S-017, fitted the modified wires and here we are:

It took a bit of messing around to get it all sorted, but it is a total breeze to use as the tension is already in the wires, you are just using the parallel action to lift the wires onto the reso.
    Like this the snares are so much more sensitive and infinitely more adjustable.

A worthwhile resto!
    The snare is now back to it's former glory...

2. Registered User

Great job you have done! I have the same snare in 14*5 1/2. Do you know if that one had the same strainer as yours?

3. Pearl does it for me

I think from memory the other type of strainer that was used during that period was the S-015 gladstone type strainer, but I don't recall there being a 5 1/2" deep shell available, only a 5", 6 1/2" and 8"...

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 3pearlkits View Post
    I think from memory the other type of strainer that was used during that period was the S-015 gladstone type strainer, but I don't recall there being a 5 1/2" deep shell available, only a 5", 6 1/2" and 8"...
    Then it is 5" deep..i have never measured it

5. My Concord Faded

Wow... what a snare
    VBX Concord Fade 7 Piece
    Kick Sub Mod
    How to: Split your double (P2002) Eliminator into singles (P2000)

dFd Black Chrome 2.3mm hoops for sale, single 6", 8, 10, 12, 14(8 hole), 16, 18 (pairs)

6. Pearl does it for me

Quote Originally Posted by TalonTsi90 View Post
    Wow... what a snare
    Thanks Talon

I used it almost exclusively for over 20 years. Since the restoration it spends more time in its case now, gets a look in for special occassions lol.

I'm now routinely using this snare:
    http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...pired-by-Pearl

7. My Concord Faded

Nice one too
    VBX Concord Fade 7 Piece
    Kick Sub Mod
    How to: Split your double (P2002) Eliminator into singles (P2000)

dFd Black Chrome 2.3mm hoops for sale, single 6", 8, 10, 12, 14(8 hole), 16, 18 (pairs)

8. Rockin' the Cosmos..

Wow .. this thread is old but I'm just now seeing it ... nice snare 3pk! .. Looks very clean and well kept

9. Pearl does it for me

Quote Originally Posted by BadAstronaut View Post
    Wow .. this thread is old but I'm just now seeing it ... nice snare 3pk! .. Looks very clean and well kept
    Cheers BA

The original owner was my drum teacher and also the store owner where I bought my DX. He put the luddy action on and only used the snare in studio for recording. He looked after it.
    He was a Pearl endorsee and at that time was using GLX.

I don't find it hard to look after gear. Everything gets a good cleaning whenever required, and travels in cases.
    Reminds me, time to buff some hardware soon.

10. Registered User

Nice snare...you really need to sell it to me...look deep into my eyes....you really need to sell the sanre to OBH...you really need to sell the snare to OBH....repeat to yourself until you agree!
    My wife says I am no longer permitted to buy any more drums...I said okay you cant buy any more shoes...we are presently at an impasse! I see drums...she sees shoes!

11. Pearl does it for me

The mantra to reject hypnotic suggestion....

I love this snare, it won't be sold, I might just consider it when I'm really really old...

12. Registered User

don't mind me but please have a drink of this Kool-aid...you will feel so much better after you ship that drum to my house...trust me...you will regret holding on to it in your old age!
    My wife says I am no longer permitted to buy any more drums...I said okay you cant buy any more shoes...we are presently at an impasse! I see drums...she sees shoes!