Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Registered User

One of the best reviews I have read explaining the differences between thick and then shells. Sound's like I need to go buy one.
    Sweet kit.
    Action Jackson
    PEARL & PAISTE
    Drums Cymbals Signiture
    12x10T 14" Dark Crisp Hats
    13x11T 17" Full Crash 19" Full Crash
    16x16FT 20" Giant Beat Multi Functional
    24x18BD 21" Dry Heavy Ride
    14x6 TAMA Starphonic B.N. Steel

2. Registered User

I recently bought a Reference Pure kit in midnight blue, it's a monster kit,double bass drum etc. I agree with the revue,because I have experinced that wit my kit.Name:  IMG_0526.jpg
Views: 9805
Size:  90.8 KB

3. Pearl Corporation USA

^ Drop dead gorgeous kit!!! Congratulations.

KISS uses Gibson Guitars and PEARL Drums because They Want The Best!

PEARL | ZILDJIAN | REMO

4. Rhythm Devil

Quote Originally Posted by AL PERCIVAL View Post
    ^ Drop dead gorgeous kit!!! Congratulations.
    x2 I bet they sound amazing.

5. Pearl for Life

All very good points. Although there's a few things additionally to consider when comparing the two. First, yes I play a Reference not a Pure, but I've played the pures before I bought.

While its true that the dynamic range of the Pures offer increased sensitivity, the fundamental tone and pitch of the Reference can be pretty sensitive too. For example, I use PS4's on the toms tuned medium to medium high on the 12". When played fairly hard, they sound like thunder. However you tap them with your finger and they resonate forever. To me, the refs have more bite due to the thicker shells but I can see where the Pures offer a lighter musical tone at various tunings.

I have experimented with several different heads just trying to decide what I like best. What I found was clear ambassadors are the ultimate go between for the two kits. Thin heads on a thick shell with die cast hoops. Incredible. Sensitive and very musical. Projection with a fair amount of sustain but not all day. Very focused.

I guess a great example would be Todd Suchermans kit. Different recipe for the shells as they are Bubinga/Maple. However is shells progress in thickness as the drums get larger with Reference spec bearing edge profile. Although its worth mentioning that he uses triple flange hoops and not die cast. Interesting.

Actually, I would have never thought about PS4 on a Reference kit until I heard them one day at a local music store. They were re- heading a demo kit and used these. I played my kit with the stock emperors for a while before changing but man do they sound great. I will more than likely go back to ambassadors here shortly. I had a defect in one of the ambassadors so I put the PS4's back on.

Both kits offer incredible sound and the only way to really decide is to play for yourself to see which you like the best. All I'm really saying is that by experimenting with different head choices, the sonic possibilities on the thick shells are endless as are no doubt are with the Pures.
    I've got to hand it to Pearl for creating such a diverse series of drums and covering all the basis.
    Pearl Reference #103 Piano Black
    12x9 | 13x10 | 16x16 | 22x18 |
    Paiste
    Signature | Noise Works | 2002 | 3000 |
    Sound Formula | Alpha |
    Looking for 14x14 Reference Floor Tom in 103 Piano Black

6. My Concord Faded

Great review for sure.
    VBX Concord Fade 7 Piece
    Kick Sub Mod
    How to: Split your double (P2002) Eliminator into singles (P2000)

dFd Black Chrome 2.3mm hoops for sale, single 6", 8, 10, 12, 14(8 hole), 16, 18 (pairs)

7. Registered User

OFFICIAL PEARL VIDEO PLEASE!!!

Canīt believe this hadnīt been done.

I own a Reference kit, and I am VERY happy with it. Would like to at least in a video or youtube, see or hear the differences.

What about Reference Pure shells with DieCast? jummm...

8. Registered User

What about mixing and matching? I have a ref kit and am thinking of adding some component drums to the set. I am thinking of having a few pure drums in my kit.

Which bass drum is better? I am looking to get a 20 inch bass drum, not sure if pure or ref is the way to go.

9. Registered User

I have played many Reference kits and used to own several Reference snares. The weight was always an issue, especially with the cast steel and brass snares. The kicks and floors as well. I much prefer the Pure but do not own a kit.

Thanks for the great review.
    Check out my incomplete snare drum collection thread. I like it and think it is quite charming. :)

http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...e-drum-per-day

10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Massive Pearl kit View Post
    I have played many Reference kits and used to own several Reference snares. The weight was always an issue, especially with the cast steel and brass snares. The kicks and floors as well. I much prefer the Pure but do not own a kit.
    I agree. I switched to Reference Pure a few years ago and really appreciate the lighter weight.

MM
    2019 Masterworks / Matte Black

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

11. Registered User

Yea, I have always loved my standard reference toms. They always felt really dynamic and musical to me, I bought my kit 5 years ago and it's still just as awesome to sit behind it and play as it was when I first opened it.

I am really interested in trying this ps4 tuning on toms, I would have never thought of that either but is sounds like a great idea!

12. What's in YOUR stickbag?

It took me months to decide between the Refs and the Pures. I was originally going to go with the Pures, but I landed on the Refs because the purpose was to be a dedicated studio kit. If the kit was going to be pulling dual duty as a gig AND recording, I would have went for the Pures due to the lighter weight and increased resonance that goes with thinner shells/triple-flanged hoops. I honestly believe that you can't go wrong with either kit, though.