Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by StickS707 View Post
    It took me months to decide between the Refs and the Pures. I was originally going to go with the Pures, but I landed on the Refs because the purpose was to be a dedicated studio kit. If the kit was going to be pulling dual duty as a gig AND recording, I would have went for the Pures due to the lighter weight and increased resonance that goes with thinner shells/triple-flanged hoops. I honestly believe that you can't go wrong with either kit, though.
    I completely agree. If you forced me to pick one of the kits at random I would be totally happy either way. I'm not too picky about weight. As someone who plays both guitar and drums, my standard reference 24 kick and 16 floor tom are NOTHING in carry weight compared to 100 pound guitar cabs and 50-70 pound tube amps. Those are back braking-ly difficult to transport. The heaviest thing to carry for drums is the hardware case anyway.

I know there are some players who prefer TF hoops, lighter shells for transport so I can understand why they would offer the option, but to me, its not a big deal. The reference drums record beautifully, especially the bass drum. One of the easiest kick's to record with, just need your ps3's with a port hole and you are good to go without any muffling.

2. Registered User

I used to own an MHX kit and I was wondering about shell thickness between the pure to the MHX or the MMX. Are they the same 5 mm shells?
    Action Jackson
    PEARL & PAISTE
    Drums Cymbals Signiture
    12x10T 14" Dark Crisp Hats
    13x11T 17" Full Crash 19" Full Crash
    16x16FT 20" Giant Beat Multi Functional
    24x18BD 21" Dry Heavy Ride
    14x6 TAMA Starphonic B.N. Steel

3. Registered User

According to the 2004 Catalog, they are both 4 ply, 5mm shells with 4 ply, 5mm Maple reinforcement rings.
    Keller VSS Mahogany 14x6.5, Sensitone Premium Maple 14x5, Kapur/Fiberglass Hybrid Exotic, LE Brass, Sensitone Classic II Brass, Donati, Hakim, Robinson Signature Snares
    RFP Piano Black, MMH Brooklyn Burst, MMX Sunrise Fade, SMX Marine Blue Fade

4. Registered User

Thank you for the reply but I'm asking about the RFP shells compared to the MHX.
    Action Jackson
    PEARL & PAISTE
    Drums Cymbals Signiture

5. Registered User

My mistake, AJ. The RFP shell is 5.4mm. (6ply x 0.9)
    Keller VSS Mahogany 14x6.5, Sensitone Premium Maple 14x5, Kapur/Fiberglass Hybrid Exotic, LE Brass, Sensitone Classic II Brass, Donati, Hakim, Robinson Signature Snares
    RFP Piano Black, MMH Brooklyn Burst, MMX Sunrise Fade, SMX Marine Blue Fade

6. Registered User

A man that's cool, the reason I asked is because I really loved that MHX kit and sense the RFP is also a thin shell, I'm hoping they would sound similar to the MHX kit.
    Action Jackson
    PEARL & PAISTE
    Drums Cymbals Signiture

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
    A man that's cool, the reason I asked is because I really loved that MHX kit and sense the RFP is also a thin shell, I'm hoping they would sound similar to the MHX kit.
    Are there any A/B clips out there. I was really interested to hear about OP's comments on the 16 inch floor tom. My reference 14 and 16 floors are pretty much my favorite floor toms ever, of all the drums in the original reference kit those are the ones they just nailed.

8. Custom User Title™

Thanks for the review.

As former Reference owner, I decided to go with the Reference Pure this go around and your review just reassured me that I made the right purchase. Can't wait to get these drums!
    Reference Pure #377 Scarlet Sparkle Burst Sold....onto the next. :D
    22x18, 10x8, 12x9, 16x16, 14x6˝
    14" A Custom Mastersound, 16" K Custom Fast, 10" HHX Evolution, 10" HHX, 20" K Custom, 17" K Custom Fast, 11" Oriental Trash, 19" Paragon

9. Yes, THAT FlashBazbo!

I just came back to this thread for the first time in years. I'm honored and surprised they made it "sticky."

It's been nearly 4 years since I made that first review post. And today, I'm still convinced there are no better drums to be found at any price. I've looked around. I've tried to find something better. With Pure, Pearl came up with a great design and a great product!
    FlashBazbo

10. Hot **** Tamale!

Great thread! Can one order Refs with fat tone hoops?
    K3ith R

Pearl MCX/280 - 8x7,10x8,12x9, 13x9, 14x14,16x16,18x22
    Zildjian As, Ks, / Vic Firth 5A, Vater Mike Johnston model