Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Angoose

Thanks a lot for your reply! Really appreciate it. It's not a bit late at all!

What do you to in music performance at uni then? I need to starting considering options very soon really. Anything you can tell me about it would be useful!

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NuggsTheDrummer View Post
    Thanks a lot for your reply! Really appreciate it. It's not a bit late at all!

What do you to in music performance at uni then? I need to starting considering options very soon really. Anything you can tell me about it would be useful!
    Well I can only really say about Leeds, I've never bothered asking any of my friends about their courses haha. To be honest first year is a bit pointless, you do one performance at the end of each semester and just have lessons for the rest of it, but there's loads of performance opportunities around in orchestras and musicals and things, particularly for percussionists because there aren't many of them second and final year are a bit different, you do performance classes where you do small recitals 2 or 3 times a semester to the rest of the people taking performance in your year and you still do a performance at the end of each semester. If there's a chance to do a year abroad or anything I'd seriously recommend it too, they're pretty awesome.

Only thing about doing performance at uni is it only counts for a maximum of a 3rd of your degree, the rest has to be academic stuff, most of which is awesome, some of which is just long and annoying haha. But then I'm sure wherever you go there's always boring parts to a degree, can't all be fun!

3. Angoose

That's fine, they won't be to dissimilar, i suppose.

And what is the academic stuff then? Theory etc?

4. Rogue Ex-Mod

Excellent posts! I'm happy we're finally having a real Concert Percussion discussion!
    My One-Of-A-Kind Masters Premium BRP in #197: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=216550

Pearl - Ludwig - Zildjian - Sabian - Remo - Evans - Vic Firth

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NuggsTheDrummer View Post
    That's fine, they won't be to dissimilar, i suppose.

And what is the academic stuff then? Theory etc?
    Yeah there's theory like harmony and counterpoint exercises, composition, history (involves essays, only part I didn't like), in the first year you do science of music too. Then in second year you can do all sorts of other things, it's pretty broad, worth looking into, it'll all be on the website I'm sure

6. Angoose

Quote Originally Posted by gaffro View Post
    Yeah there's theory like harmony and counterpoint exercises, composition, history (involves essays, only part I didn't like), in the first year you do science of music too. Then in second year you can do all sorts of other things, it's pretty broad, worth looking into, it'll all be on the website I'm sure
    Thanks a lot. I shall check out the website. That's a really useful insight.

Quote Originally Posted by David Hollywood View Post
    Excellent posts! I'm happy we're finally having a real Concert Percussion discussion!
    Wahay!

7. Funkmeister, M.D.

I love the Pro-Mark Nick Petrella Mallets. They have a felt head on the harder side and an aluminum shaft towards the top for playing triangles, or anything else that requires a harder surface. They sound great on a marimba.

8. Drumaholic

I graduated from music school last May and I quite enjoyed my experience there. I learned lots about theory, practice habits, and performance. I personally took it upon myself to do more drumset and marimba study than anything else. I enjoyed timpani and snare drum, but drumset and marimba interested me the most, so that's what I focused on. I was a drumset person even before college, and my studio professor's telling us that drumset players are pretty much the only performers who can make a living was not lost on me. All of the theory and aural skills training definitely came in handy for doing band rehearsals--with a strong theory and performance background, you can easily find band leader gigs.

For my day job, I'm a band director, and I love it almost as much as I love playing. Teaching is a great option career-wise for a music grad. Plus, it allows you a good bit of time to gig on the side if that's your think.

As for mallets, I am a BIG fan of Marimba One marimba mallets. The weight is perfect, and the sound is superb. Close runners-up are the Nancy Zeltsman mallets from Encore. Plan to spend a little money on your marimba mallets--they'll last you as long as 5 years with proper care. For xylo, the James Ross IP902 mallets from Innovative are very good and very versatile.