Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by otb View Post
    You, sir, are super-awesome for posting all that information!

This was a great and very informative read and the blind mic shootout was actually very entertaining - I did exactly as you suggested and wrote down my thoughts as I was listening to the files. As for the stereo techniques, I was blown away by how natural the Recorderman technique sounded - the sound was really realistic and the all the instruments from the kit had a pretty full, natural sound. I'm really curious about your own observations and hope to read them soon.
    Hey thanks! I was hoping more users would share their observations first. I'm reluctant to post my own observations and opinions, because I don't want to create expectations or cause prejudice for anyone before they have a listen and have formed their own opinions.

I will say though that I'm also a huge fan of Recorderman! I got turned on to it by forum member drumbug (great guy and drummer!), who used to post a lot of home recordings of him playing, recorded with just a couple of mics.

2. Is this Illidan?

Notes for Mics:

Snare 1 - I won't mention the mic name here so as to spoil the surprise; but obviously the mic type that it is. It seems to be missing a lot of mids in general, with bottom and high end. I can see why people like this mic, as it has that 'classic' 70's snare voice. This mic is heavily coloured.

Snare 2 - This one is a little more interesting. Some clues in the frequency response elude to what mic type it is. I would take this one over snare mic 1 because it has a much more natural sound. The frequency balance is much better without too much bottom like snare mic 1. This mic has very much less colouration of the sound.

Snare 3 - This mic is a shocker for what it is. My impression of this mic: I'd never use it, ever. It is missing frequencies all over the place and has a bump in the lower mids making it sound nasal-y. It has a lot of much higher frequencies, and not enough high frequencies to make it sound natural. My biggest problem with this mic is that you are blatantly listening to a snare that is mic'd. If this mic was less coloured it would be useful, but I am not a fan at all.

Snare 4 - This mic is fairly predictable if you have used it before. It colours the sound a bit, but is still cleaner than mics 1 and 3.

My choices for mics I would use based on sound only: mics 2 and 4. Considering I have only ever used mic 4 out of the mics listed, this isn't surprising. The other mics are just too coloured for me, given what the drum would sound like if you were in the room with it.

3. There can be only 1

Most the links in this thread are gone, so are most the pics.....is it just me or did something happen?

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by FL Drummer View Post
    Most the links in this thread are gone, so are most the pics.....is it just me or did something happen?
    I recently lost access to some server space that I used to have available to me free of charge.

5. There can be only 1

bummer, I've been reading though the thread here and there trying to figure out what i need to start some basic home recording......Your thread and knowledge have been helpful. I hope your able to fix the links eventually. Maybe pearl could help out with that?