Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 90 of 90 FirstFirst ... 40808687888990
Results 1,069 to 1,078 of 1078
  1. Registered User

My special order star walnut from Japan.
    I wanted a Starclassic but they started producing them in China when I was making the order, so I got the star since they're Japanese made.
    Still using my pearl 3002c double pedal, its the best chain drive, and the H1050 hihat stand which I love. I have a RH-2000 and still no problems other than the drop clutch sucks. The 80s version was the best and still my primary drop clutch i use still after 35 years.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Interesting setup. Strange that they chose to make their higher model in China.

3. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by fusseltier View Post
    My special order star walnut from Japan.
    I wanted a Starclassic but they started producing them in China when I was making the order, so I got the star since they're Japanese made.
    Still using my pearl 3002c double pedal, its the best chain drive, and the H1050 hihat stand which I love. I have a RH-2000 and still no problems other than the drop clutch sucks. The 80s version was the best and still my primary drop clutch i use still after 35 years.
    You can order Starclassic drums to be made in Japan. The price is the same, but the exotic veneers you see on the website may or may not be available in Japanese-made Starclassics.

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    It's really not strange at all. Starclassics are currently Tama's 2nd highest line of drums. Star is their current flagship line, which is made in Japan. When you have brands like Pearl, who make their flagship models in Taiwan, and Yamaha, who make their top-of-the-line drums in China, it's nice that there's still a major company out there manufacturing drums in Japan. Canopus is making drums in Japan, but they are hardly major.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

4. Starclassic Guy

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    I own a Japanese made all birch starclassic, and a chinese made starclassic birch bubinga. I can tell you there is no difference in quality at all. Both of my kits are top notch for more mid grade. The biggest difference is honestly the birch bubinga has more low end than my all birch kit. Which is perfect as i use the Birch kit for live and working use, and the birch bubinga kit in my home studio.
    http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/al...p?albumid=1153 <---- My Drums

Formerly TreCoolFool

5. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB1029 View Post
    I own a Japanese made all birch starclassic, and a chinese made starclassic birch bubinga. I can tell you there is no difference in quality at all. Both of my kits are top notch for more mid grade. The biggest difference is honestly the birch bubinga has more low end than my all birch kit. Which is perfect as i use the Birch kit for live and working use, and the birch bubinga kit in my home studio.
    I have a bunch of MIJ Starclassic Bubinga drums, which I can compare to a MIC Starclassic Birch/Bubinga and a similar Birch/Walnut (both snare drums). The hardware is, of course, the same. The only difference I can see is in the finish. On the MIJ SCB, the finish on the interiors and bearing edges is much finer. There is much more finish applied, and the shells are more sealed. On the MIC Starclassics, the interiors and bearing edges are smooth, but basically dry. The wood is very smooth, but it looks like it could use some tung oil or other appropriate finish. This is very similar to comparing a Pearl Masterworks drum to a Masters (like MCX) drum. Al could explain better, but there is more time and materials put into the Masterworks finishes.

Tama is not making SCB/B in China anymore... they're done. Last time I checked, you can special order individual drums to match your kit, but they will be made in Japan. Regardless, when you could buy SCB/B, the interiors were nice, but never quite as fine as this.

Name:  concertsandpercussion.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  116.7 KB
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

6. Starclassic Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    I have a bunch of MIJ Starclassic Bubinga drums, which I can compare to a MIC Starclassic Birch/Bubinga and a similar Birch/Walnut (both snare drums). The hardware is, of course, the same. The only difference I can see is in the finish. On the MIJ SCB, the finish on the interiors and bearing edges is much finer. There is much more finish applied, and the shells are more sealed. On the MIC Starclassics, the interiors and bearing edges are smooth, but basically dry. The wood is very smooth, but it looks like it could use some tung oil or other appropriate finish. This is very similar to comparing a Pearl Masterworks drum to a Masters (like MCX) drum. Al could explain better, but there is more time and materials put into the Masterworks finishes.

Tama is not making SCB/B in China anymore... they're done. Last time I checked, you can special order individual drums to match your kit, but they will be made in Japan. Regardless, when you could buy SCB/B, the interiors were nice, but never quite as fine as this.

Name:  concertsandpercussion.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  116.7 KB
    The B/Bs are completely done. I tried to get another 8" (8x6" so i could mount both 8" toms over my hi hats) and a 13" rack tom earlier this year made, and since they couldnt do it, thats why i ordered my masterworks snare drum. at this point all of the bubinga left in stock is for star drums. But having an older made in japan kit, made with different woods from my made in china, they are so similar i cant even compare them. Both of thems finish stops before getting to the bearing edge. I cant compare the bearing edges themselves as i bought the MIJ kit used and it had some bumps and bruises even then. The edges on my B/B are nice and straight and sharp. One of the tama starclassic facebook pages im on wont even allow posts about the differences between both regions. Also both of my kits have a wildly different type of finish, so again i cant actually compare them apples to apples. I love both finishes though. Dark Cherry Fade is still one of my favorite finishes tama has ever put out.

Formerly TreCoolFool

7. Playing since 1976

The B/Bs are completely done. I tried to get another 8" (8x6" so i could mount both 8" toms over my hi hats) and a 13" rack tom earlier this year made, and since they couldnt do it, thats why i ordered my masterworks snare drum. at this point all of the bubinga left in stock is for star drums. But having an older made in japan kit, made with different woods from my made in china, they are so similar i cant even compare them. Both of thems finish stops before getting to the bearing edge. I cant compare the bearing edges themselves as i bought the MIJ kit used and it had some bumps and bruises even then. The edges on my B/B are nice and straight and sharp. One of the tama starclassic facebook pages im on wont even allow posts about the differences between both regions. Also both of my kits have a wildly different type of finish, so again i cant actually compare them apples to apples. I love both finishes though. Dark Cherry Fade is still one of my favorite finishes tama has ever put out.
    If you could compare (really see, feel), you'd see. I'm not splitting hairs; there's a clear difference... and I while I think facebook has a great wealth of accurate, dependable information (that was a joke), I wouldn't heavily weigh anything I saw or read on a facebook page.

DCF was one of the finish options offered to me, along with a slew of other older, timeless, Tama finishes. I was very close to picking "Scorched Copper Burst", but I was afraid I'd get tired of looking at 15-drums-worth of orange sparkle. They may have denied your SC B/B add-on request due to the outer finish... what was it? It may be a wrap, veneer, or lacquer they don't have in Japan. For example, if someone has a MIC SC B/B kit, with one of the exotic tigerwood finishes (there were several), Tama said the Japanese factory didn't have those veneers, so that request would be denied. Also, there are wraps that that they don't have in Japan, and are not going to import to make a couple drums. Regardless, I have been told "no" many times, to requests I've made to Hoshino, so I'm never surprised when someone echos that sentiment. My last "no" was for a bell brass snare with Starclassic hardware, like they used to make back in the 2000's.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

8. Starclassic Guy

If you could compare (really see, feel), you'd see. I'm not splitting hairs; there's a clear difference... and I while I think facebook has a great wealth of accurate, dependable information (that was a joke), I wouldn't heavily weigh anything I saw or read on a facebook page.

DCF was one of the finish options offered to me, along with a slew of other older, timeless, Tama finishes. I was very close to picking "Scorched Copper Burst", but I was afraid I'd get tired of looking at 15-drums-worth of orange sparkle. They may have denied your SC B/B add-on request due to the outer finish... what was it? It may be a wrap, veneer, or lacquer they don't have in Japan. For example, if someone has a MIC SC B/B kit, with one of the exotic tigerwood finishes (there were several), Tama said the Japanese factory didn't have those veneers, so that request would be denied. Also, there are wraps that that they don't have in Japan, and are not going to import to make a couple drums. Regardless, I have been told "no" many times, to requests I've made to Hoshino, so I'm never surprised when someone echos that sentiment. My last "no" was for a bell brass snare with Starclassic hardware, like they used to make back in the 2000's.
    It was pushed out more because the topic had been covered so many times that it became stale to see. Kind of like what used to happen on this forum. One thing to remember too though, is that starclassic bubinga kits were still considered on the high end side even though not flagship, while the birch bubingas were sold and built as intermediate drums. The price difference made that quite clear as well. My kit i bought brand new in 2017 and was a normal stock finish they STILL use on the birch walnut drums. I thought about using the BWs in the sizes, but it would bother me that they werent the same series so ill just keep my search on ebay for them to pop up maybe one day.

Formerly TreCoolFool

9. Playing since 1976

It was pushed out more because the topic had been covered so many times that it became stale to see. Kind of like what used to happen on this forum. One thing to remember too though, is that starclassic bubinga kits were still considered on the high end side even though not flagship, while the birch bubingas were sold and built as intermediate drums. The price difference made that quite clear as well. My kit i bought brand new in 2017 and was a normal stock finish they STILL use on the birch walnut drums. I thought about using the BWs in the sizes, but it would bother me that they werent the same series so ill just keep my search on ebay for them to pop up maybe one day.
    Pretty sure I said this before... your kit is really nice. I think that blue finish is lacquer, not a wrap... right? I flipped a SC B/B snare that had the white version of that finish... marble-like, but lacquer, not a wrap.

They definitely finish the drums differently in Japan than they do in their Chinese factory... different in a very similar way that Masters drums are finished differently than Masterworks drums. Another member on this forum bought some Starclassic B/B in the molten brown burst finish. He ordered some add-on concert toms (which would always be a special order, MIJ) to "match" the kit. He was told up front the finishes would look similar, but would not match... they were right. The add-on drums were a different finish (very different IMO) than the stock MBB SC. Maybe the Japanese factory is not set up to replicate that cool blue marble finish?
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

10. Starclassic Guy

Pretty sure I said this before... your kit is really nice. I think that blue finish is lacquer, not a wrap... right? I flipped a SC B/B snare that had the white version of that finish... marble-like, but lacquer, not a wrap.

They definitely finish the drums differently in Japan than they do in their Chinese factory... different in a very similar way that Masters drums are finished differently than Masterworks drums. Another member on this forum bought some Starclassic B/B in the molten brown burst finish. He ordered some add-on concert toms (which would always be a special order, MIJ) to "match" the kit. He was told up front the finishes would look similar, but would not match... they were right. The add-on drums were a different finish (very different IMO) than the stock MBB SC. Maybe the Japanese factory is not set up to replicate that cool blue marble finish?
    That was my thought too. And yes this is a lacquer. I have two other floor toms that go with it too that im not using for recording purposes. Theres really no point in stressing about more add-ons, because honestly, the three up 1 down is my go to setup. It feels right to me. Not to much, but i can do some bigger fills. This setup im using is JUST like my gig setup, with some extra effects cymbals and an x hat.

Formerly TreCoolFool