Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Jeff Porcaro Is God

Default Sensitone history?

G'day.
    I wonder if anybody can help me with some history on the SensiTone snare drums.
    I have a 14x5.5 Custom Alloy Steel Shell (that's what it says on the badge) like the attached pic.
    I love the drum, which I bought off a friend a few years ago and which I'll never part with.
    However, I never see other SensiTones with the same wording on the badge - they all seem to say 'Elite' on the badge as well.
    And all the catalogs on the website only have the Elite ones as well.
    Hence my search for some history.
    I'm aware that there was some sort of Classic II SensiTones or something way back when, which are now collectors' items, or something, but I'm wanting a whole lot mor info.
    When where the Sensis first introduced, what's the difference between the one I have and the 'Elite' ones available now, etc etc?
    Any details would be greatly appreciated.
    Oh, I've done numerous searches and turned up zip. But if I've missed something, please set me straight.
    Thanx guys.
    Regards,

scoopyx.

Oh, as a second part to my question, if I wanted to swap out the bridge lugs on the SensiTone pictured (which is like mine except for the depth) and replace them with tube lugs, could I do that, and are the tube lugs available as spare parts?
    Thanx again.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. I hit stuff!

It's my understanding that the word "Elite" started turning up on the Sensitone badge once the Pearl Vision line was brought out. The Vision kits come with "Sensitone" snares, but they're not as good as the "real" Sensitones. This led them to start labelling the real Sensitone snares with the word "Elite". They're still the same drums though.

The Classic II were a different story; I believe they were made to be Pearl's version of the Ludwig Black Beauty snares. They were brass shells with a black coating, just like the Black Beauty snares are.

You've got a nice snare there. I used to have a 14x6.5 Sensitone Steel (non-Elite badge), which uses the same shell as the Pearl Ian Paice signature snare.

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Naigewron View Post
    It's my understanding that the word "Elite" started turning up on the Sensitone badge once the Pearl Vision line was brought out. The Vision kits come with "Sensitone" snares, but they're not as good as the "real" Sensitones. This led them to start labelling the real Sensitone snares with the word "Elite". They're still the same drums though.

The Classic II were a different story; I believe they were made to be Pearl's version of the Ludwig Black Beauty snares. They were brass shells with a black coating, just like the Black Beauty snares are.

You've got a nice snare there. I used to have a 14x6.5 Sensitone Steel (non-Elite badge), which uses the same shell as the Pearl Ian Paice signature snare.
    Have the same snare also it seems to have more tone than other steel shells I have heard,really nice snare.

4. Registered User

As far as I know the elites are brass or aluminum. Maybe there is an elite steel..dunno. I have a steel 14 x 5 that came with my 98 sessions kit. Good solid workingmans snare. Never expensive. Always good.
    Jim
    Masters MCA Ruby Black Burst
    Sessions DX Customised
    Roland TD3

Sessions Squadron
    Masters Army
    O.L.D club

5. I hit stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by jgregory View Post
    As far as I know the elites are brass or aluminum.
    The Aluminium Sensitone is discontinued. They only make brass and steel now, and they're both called Elite (as was the aluminium model).
    http://www.pearldrum.com/Products/Sn...ite/Steel.aspx

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Naigewron View Post
    The Aluminium Sensitone is discontinued. They only make brass and steel now, and they're both called Elite (as was the aluminium model).
    http://www.pearldrum.com/Products/Sn...ite/Steel.aspx
    Yes the Aluminium and Stainless Steel models are discontinued in the Elite series.The Sensitones that come with the Vision kits are 8-lug configuration with a basic model strainer as compared to a 10-lug configuation and a SR-017 strainer on Elites.Also interested in any history of these pre-elite badge Sensitones with 10-lugs and SR-017 Strainer,If anyone can add some feedback.Anyone know where the Mirror Chrome steel shell Model came in the scene.

7. Jeff Porcaro Is God

Thanx for the replies so far.
    Pearl guys? Can you helps us out here?
    Gene? Al?

scoopyx.

8. Ew, is that a snake?

The previous posters are correct. The original Sensitone snare was offered with the Session Series, introduced in or around 1994(?) and was only labeled "Sensitone, Custom Alloy Steel Shell". They were a direct replacement for both the 414 series drums (B-414 and S-414), the World Series steel snare, and it's Prestige/Session replacement.

You have the original Sensitone as-described. 2.3mm Superhoops, SR017 strainer, 20 strand snappy, 10 Masters bridge lugs with gaskets. Quickly after the steel and brass Sensitones came the Sensitone Classic which was a copper or brass shell with tube lugs, single flanged hoops, and clawhooks. I'm not sure when the aluminum model was added to the lineup, but I know it was discontinued this year. All models came in 5.5 or 6.5".

The only real difference when the Sensituone became the Sensitone Elite was an upgraded badge with a black plastic gasket behind it.

To swap your bridge lugs for tube lugs, visit www.drumfactorydirect.com. I believe Masters snare lugs were 4.5" c/c, but you'd want to measure. Tube lugs are a bit pricey, but you could probably offset the cost by selling your complete set of Masters bridge lugs on eBay where they should generate some interest.

9. Ew, is that a snake?

Name:  Sensitone.JPG
Views: 2352
Size:  51.4 KB

10. Jeff Porcaro Is God

Great stuff.
    Thanks guys.

scoopyx.

11. Registered User

barjack is mostly correct. To add:

I'm not actually familiar with the SensiTone Classic drums; perhaps they were before my time...

The SensiTone Classic II (offered in steel (triple flange hoops) and brass (MasterCast hoops)) was introduced later than the original SensiTone Custom Alloy drums (and presumably later than the Sensitone Classic), but it was offered alongside the original Custom Alloy types for a few years. The SensiTone Classic II drums were discontinued a few years ago.

The SensiTone Elite drums share the same features as the original SensiTone Custom Alloy drums, as barjack suggested - however - with the exception of the snares, which are UltraSound instead of standard. They were probably introduced in 2007 or 2008 and brass, phosphor bronze, aluminium, stainless steel and steel models were available. As suggested above, the steel and brass models are all that appears on the website for that line.

Swapping out the lugs on your standard snare is easy... If I can do it anyone can!
    Pearl/Dixon/Paiste/LP/Remo/Pro-Mark 5ABN

12. Jeff Porcaro Is God

Hmm, more good info.
    Thanks MattKeaton.

scoopyx.
    :-)