Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Removing finish from a Session kit

Hey Guys,

I bought this Prestige Session kit about two years ago and wanted to sell it, but couldn't get a decent offer. So I decided to keep it as my "Fusion" set. Though I really loved the Teal Blue finish, it's gotten old for me and some of the toms have some dings. I would really love to bring it down to the bare wood and do an oil finish on it. My question is, have any of you done this with a stained lacquer set and does it work?? If afraid that the stain will be very hard to get out of the wood grain.
    How does one go about this??
    Any thoughts???

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  

1978 Pearl Jazz/Rock Deluxe
    2008 Pearl Masters Premium
    2015 Pearl Crystal Beat
    2016 Pearl Roadshow Jazz
    2017 Pearl Session Studio Classic

2. kottonmouth king

my method(may not be the best) is to get a sander, electric or air. take a fine grit at first and *evenly* sand down the shell, as soon as all that shiny is gone move to a finer grit and get ready for a ride because that stain has "stained" the shell so it is going to be pretty touchy as far as getting it off without going through your first ply, take a look at the ply's just so you know how much sanding you can do before you go through the ply, it isnt alot. after this i would cut the edges assuming you have just learned how badly the shell has been damaged after taking it down. different companies ply's are different thickness's too and honestly im nervous even suggesting this to you because i dont want to ruin that kit. explore your options

"Smudge got her stitches out and so had to have a collar attached tofday." -Maark

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Brain View Post
    my method(may not be the best) is to get a sander, electric or air. take a fine grit at first and *evenly* sand down the shell, as soon as all that shiny is gone move to a finer grit and get ready for a ride because that stain has "stained" the shell so it is going to be pretty touchy as far as getting it off without going through your first ply, take a look at the ply's just so you know how much sanding you can do before you go through the ply, it isnt alot. after this i would cut the edges assuming you have just learned how badly the shell has been damaged after taking it down. different companies ply's are different thickness's too and honestly im nervous even suggesting this to you because i dont want to ruin that kit. explore your options
    Thats really the only good way to get a stain off a drum. Im sure there are other ways (strippers of some sort to get the clear coats off).. even if you do that you would still have to sand the stain off of the drum.

As Bass Brain said you will have to be very careful when sanding because you don't want to sand through a ply.
    |Vision VBX|Prestige Session Select|Sabian|Remo|Pro-Mark|
    I have a few things for sale HERE, PM me if interested.