Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Taking Back Sunday Snare Drum Sound

I was listening to some of their songs - namely MakeDamnSure and Liar, and I was wondering what tuning/heads/drum I would need to get that sound. It's like a tight crack with a quick decay. Right now I have a 14x5.5 Mapex Pro M snare that I'm probably going to trade in for something. I also have a 12x5.5 Black Panther but I use that mainly for metal.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

2. Registered User

That sound is studio magic at work, so you're going to have a hell of a time trying to replicate it. I read an interview with O'Connell, and he said the kit used for "Louder Now" was actually the producer's (Eric Valentine) kit, which was the same one that Dave Grohl used for the Queens Of The Stone Age album he did. I'm guessing it's a vintage kit of some sort.

--->DJ

3. My Concord Faded

These threads need to be banned. YOU CANNOT DUPLICATE RECORDED SOUNDS IN REAL LIFE. There. Done. Next thread?
    VBX Concord Fade 7 Piece
    Kick Sub Mod
    How to: Split your double (P2002) Eliminator into singles (P2000)

dFd Black Chrome 2.3mm hoops for sale, single 6", 8, 10, 12, 14(8 hole), 16, 18 (pairs)

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TalonTsi90 View Post
    These threads need to be banned. YOU CANNOT DUPLICATE RECORDED SOUNDS IN REAL LIFE. There. Done. Next thread?
    +1.....you know if you took your snare to a studio it would magically sound like that.
    |Vision VBX|Prestige Session Select|Sabian|Remo|Pro-Mark|
    I have a few things for sale HERE, PM me if interested.

5. MARK NUUUUUTT

Quote Originally Posted by rebelquints1 View Post
    +1.....you know if you took your snare to a studio it would magically sound like that.
    hehe

6. ...mini-van. maxi-love.

Quote Originally Posted by drummerkid905 View Post
    I was listening to some of their songs - namely MakeDamnSure and Liar, and I was wondering what tuning/heads/drum I would need to get that sound. It's like a tight crack with a quick decay. Right now I have a 14x5.5 Mapex Pro M snare that I'm probably going to trade in for something. I also have a 12x5.5 Black Panther but I use that mainly for metal.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
    I listened to those two songs.. at least, enough of them.. the tone you've described is pretty general. be sure the snare's reso head is tight enough, without choking the drum.. And, especially with the Liar song, be sure to stuff a giant blanket into your bass drum, to kill all the tone, so it sounds like the record..

have fun.
    Drumsjoe:
    AHA Custom Drums, usually a 4-pc for my bands

8x14 brass free-floater, FOR SALE

a bunch of snares
    a bunch of Zildjians
    Vater, mostly Aquarian