Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 205 of 214 FirstFirst ... 105155195201202203204205206207208209 ... LastLast
Results 2,449 to 2,460 of 2563
  1. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

I have mixed feelings on those lugs. In one way I like how original looking they are, but at the same time that look is the look of a handle.

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    I have mixed feelings on those lugs. In one way I like how original looking they are, but at the same time that look is the look of a handle.
    Dale,

I agree in the sense that I do think the ARL- style of lug looks better on the metal snare drums. However, they do currently use them on the Sensitone wood snares.

My intent over the next year is to make a series of these matching Sensitone sets using all different kinds of woods (not officially available from Pearl). I don't mind the look of these lugs and just want to stay consistent with Pearl specifications. Otherwise, I would use the STL- hardware instead.

I cut down one of the Pearl mahogany Free Floating shells to make this custom Masterworks snare earlier this year. Since it is a 10mm shell (and not 5.4mm like Sensitone) I did it with the STL- lugs and the Masterworks badge.

Name:  MW Mahogany.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  73.0 KB

MM
    Last edited by MusicMan; 10-19-2019 at 08:23 PM.
    2019 Masterworks / Matte Black

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

3. Registered User

Another thing I like about using the ARL- series lugs is that they have standard Pearl mounting screw spacing. Thus, everything can be changed later (if preferred). Using the STL- series lugs requires using different hole spacing that isn't compatible with anything else.

4. Registered User

I found this Ludwig snare drum at a local music store and cleaned it up almost a month ago.

http://imgur.com/a/45f02Dc

I'm not sure what the shell is made of. I bought it thinking it was a Blacro but both the store owner and my drum teacher have told me the main shell material was steel. On the other hand, I've done some searching for a Ludwig 90s era steel snare (coated in nickel according to my teacher?) in the Black Galaxy finish and have found nothing on such a snare, especially one with the same bead this snare has.

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 51st_Alley View Post
    I found this Ludwig snare drum at a local music store and cleaned it up almost a month ago.

http://imgur.com/a/45f02Dc

I'm not sure what the shell is made of. I bought it thinking it was a Blacro but both the store owner and my drum teacher have told me the main shell material was steel. On the other hand, I've done some searching for a Ludwig 90s era steel snare (coated in nickel according to my teacher?) in the Black Galaxy finish and have found nothing on such a snare, especially one with the same bead this snare has.
    That is a Black Galaxy Acrolite with and upgraded P88AC throw off and P33 butt plate. It is a powder coated aluminum shell. A magnet should/will not stick to that shell. If it does, then it could only be a prototype.
    There were some anomalies made that were 10 lug with a silver keystone badge, I own one of them, but none were ever steel shelled drums.
    Last edited by Rotarded; 10-31-2019 at 05:42 PM.
    1964 Ludwig Downbeat 6pc
    1976 Ludwig Stainless Steel 4pc
    DW Performance 7pc
    Ludwigs: '59 Auditorium,'59 Jazz Festival, '64 Supra (x2) ,'76 Supra,
    '78 6.5x14 Acrolite w/factory Imperial Lugs,
    "Black Beauty"

DW Maple, Gretsch Free Floating 5.5 x10
    Zildjians: A Customs and Vintage As

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rotarded View Post
    That is a Black Galaxy Acrolite with and upgraded P88AC throw off and P33 butt plate. It is a powder coated aluminum shell. A magnet should/will not stick to that shell. If it does, then it could only be a prototype.
    There were some anomalies made that were 10 lug with a silver keystone badge, I own one of them, but none were ever steel shelled drums.
    I like that powder coated finish.

7. Enjoy Every Sandwich

Yeah, I agree. They look like something I'd pick up at the local big box home improvement store to mount on a kitchen cabinet or drawer. But, if the owner likes them, that's really all that matters.

8. Registered User

Hi,

Here's a new snare drum I added to my Pearl Sensitone "custom" collection. This one has a 1.2mm chrome plated hammered steel shell. The Pearl hardware is the ARL-65 lugs with SR-150 strainer, along with Super Hoops and Ultracast 1420I snare wires.

I love the sound of this drum because the large hammering pattern dries it out a bit more than other steel drums.

Name:  STA1465HS-1.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  104.1 KB

Name:  STA1465HS-2.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  103.9 KB

Name:  STA1465HS-3.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  104.2 KB
    Last edited by MusicMan; 11-22-2019 at 04:03 PM.

9. Registered User

New Beastie Black Panther 14x6.5 Brass Sledgehammer What a beast of a snare.
    IMG_0896 by Kevin Frost, on Flickr
    Yamaha Recording Custom 10,12,13,16,22 in Cherry Red
    Pearl Masters Premium Maple "Redline" in 12, 16, 22. Black on Black.
    Premier Projector MK1. 12,13,16,22 in Piano Black
    Endorser for Scymtek Cymbals & The London Drumstick Company.

10. Drummer since 1963

Last week I was killin' time surfing general listings on FB Marketplace and stumbled on a listing for a Ludwig Supraphonic I was not shopping for. I thought $200 was a cheap asking price and unlike Ebay it wouldn't go up. I clicked on the listing to see what was wrong with the drum and why they were only asking 2 bills.
    Long story short it ended up being a 1998 COB. Now the deal got borderline stupid. I quickly gave the seller the cash and was gone like a cool breeze!
    I replaced the P85 with a P88, installed new heads- UV1 batter and a snare side 300, replaced the bottom hoop, installed 20 strand Puresound Custom wires, and gave it a good cleaning. So glad I did this! Great sounding snare.

Before

After

11. Skeld-the -wicked

Great score Ron! Did you wear a mask? Sometimes deals like this are too good to pass up!
    Pearl Masters Premium Diamond Burst 6pc
    Pearl Masters Red Mahogany Classic 6pc
    14 x 6.5 Phosphor Bronze FF Snare + Red Wine Shell.
    Zildjian Cymbals
    Vic Firth sticks

12. Drummer since 1963

Quote Originally Posted by skeld-the-wicked View Post
    Great score Ron! Did you wear a mask? Sometimes deals like this are too good to pass up!
    I'd have secured a "schmuck of the year" nomination for sure had I not pounced on it.
    Gave both heads some slight crankage this morning. O-M-G-! This drum is too sick!
    Last edited by Ron Gerber; 11-25-2019 at 09:26 PM.