Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 211 of 214 FirstFirst ... 111161201207208209210211212213214 LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,532 of 2563
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    I forgot to mention, the other problem is the finish. Vukan will not clearcoat the shells (most likely because of the time and trouble involved with doing it well). I had Vukan ship my shell to Chris at Drums on Sale... and he clearcoated the outside of the shell only. The inside was too difficult due to the shell sticker. So the inside is natural, and the outside is coated... which is fine with me.
    I've done about a dozen bell bronze snare drums with the raw Oriollo shells and there hasn't been any issue with tarnishing during shipping. It's also very easy to spray several coats of brass lacquer on the inside and outside of the shells when they arrive.

If there is a sticker on the inside, I'd recommend just using a hair dryer to heat the sticker (without burning it) so that it peels off. After lacquering the shell, it can be stuck back on.

MM
    2019 Masterworks / Matte Black

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by hipodilski View Post
    What are the specs of your shell, 3mm? What shape are the bearing edges and snare beds? Did he drill it for you? And finally does it have any kind of coating? Thanks in advance.
    Hi,

I've done both 13x5 and 13x6.5 bell bronze snare drums using the Oriollo shells in 3mm thickness (heavy enough). Oriollo includes the sharp 45 degree edges on top and bottom but it costs extra for them to drill the shell and do the snare beds. I prefer to do them myself (since I use Pearl hardware with the shells).

If you have a drill and a file, the bell bronze is very easy (soft) material to work with. So far, I haven't had any issues with doing the drilling myself or doing the snare beds myself. The most important thing is to carefully measure everything before you start drilling or filing. Just wrap the shell with a thin layer of cellophane and use masking tape to mark over the plastic.

Also, be sure to lacquer the shell (inside and outside) before you put the drum together. The raw bell bronze is very prone to organic marks and smudges that can't be wiped off (as well as tarnishing). You probably will need to use some Brasso cleaner to get a few fingerprints off of the raw shell before you lacquer it too.

MM

3. Registered User

Tribute to the great Simon Phillips. Nice tone but VERY controlled. The three air vents seem to work counter to the flanged hoops, which should open up the drum. You’d never need to dampen this drum. Birdseye maple veneer, with the shell consisting of maple and walnut.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Guru Tour padauk segmented
    Tama Star walnut kit in Japenese sen indigo burst
    Tama Starclassic Bubinga Select (marbled green metallic)
    Tama Starclassic maple (Caribbean blue fade) and Starclassic walnut/birch (jade silk)
    Sonor Pro Lite blue sparkle

4. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by steadypocket View Post
    Tribute to the great Simon Phillips. Nice tone but VERY controlled. The three air vents seem to work counter to the flanged hoops, which should open up the drum. You’d never need to dampen this drum. Birdseye maple veneer, with the shell consisting of maple and walnut.
    That’s a beautiful instrument steady!
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

5. Registered User

I love the look of the maple veneer, but the Tama hardware looks like the entry level hardware that Pearl uses on their cheapest snare drums. I just don't care for it.

6. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by MusicMan View Post
    I love the look of the maple veneer, but the Tama hardware looks like the entry level hardware that Pearl uses on their cheapest snare drums. I just don't care for it.
    Agree.

7. a.k.a. YtseJam

8. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by hipodilski View Post
    Agree.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

9. Registered User

Lol, I can understand how the Tama Star lugs may not appeal to everyone aesthetically, though they’re visually appealing to me. Taste is subjective. With that said, I have more than a few Star drums with these lugs. It’s been my experience that the lugs are made out of higher quality metal than much of the competition. Their low mass undoubtedly contributes towards a very resonant shell. Those who’ve played Star drums can relate.
    Guru Tour padauk segmented
    Tama Star walnut kit in Japenese sen indigo burst
    Tama Starclassic Bubinga Select (marbled green metallic)
    Tama Starclassic maple (Caribbean blue fade) and Starclassic walnut/birch (jade silk)
    Sonor Pro Lite blue sparkle

10. Playing since 1976

Lol, I can understand how the Tama Star lugs may not appeal to everyone aesthetically, though they’re visually appealing to me. Taste is subjective. With that said, I have more than a few Star drums with these lugs. It’s been my experience that the lugs are made out of higher quality metal than much of the competition. Their low mass undoubtedly contributes towards a very resonant shell. Those who’ve played Star drums can relate.
    You have to consider the forum and the sources of the negative comments.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

11. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    You have to consider the forum and the sources of the negative comments.
    Are you insinuating that I have no taste because I disagree with yours?

12. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    Are you insinuating that I have no taste because I disagree with yours?
    The initial negative comment was made by a biased Pearl fan, who is so devoted to the Pearl brand, he actually creates misrepresented and counterfeit Pearl drums. I don't think you would have initiated the negative comment without his prompting. But of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion, as I can disagree with yours. As far as taste, I don't know your taste, other than you don't like the Simon Phillips drum hardware.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE