Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Looking to learn about drumcorps and stuff

Hi guys!
    I'm new to drum corps and wonder if someone can recommend any place to learn about it, forums, sites etc?

Right now I'm looking for info regarding multi toms/timp toms, the trio ones, how to play, how to tune, mallets, heads etc.

Would be glad for some help.

/Fred

2. Curmudgeon

These days, the popular tenor rigs use at least four and often as many as six drums rather than the trios that were popular years ago. That being said, the technique of playing the drums is essentially the same. You want to use the most efficient motion that you can without employing any extra arm swings to move from drum to drum. As far as tuning goes, a good starting point is usually an interval of a minor third between the first and second drum then the same between the second and third. Using this interval will keep you from establishing a tonal center that conflicts with the key that the horns are playing in, whatever key that may be. I hope that this limited information will prove helpful to you.
    "Amateurs practice till they get it right. Professionals practice till they can't get it wrong."

Support the artists, buy music.

Member:
    Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
    American Federation of Musicians
    Percussive Arts Society
    Vic Firth Education Team

3. Registered User

Yes it is very helpful indeed! I also noticed that the timp toms are tuned rather high in pitch. The ones I have at work are more like a seventies concert tom drumkit :P Think I'll tune them up a bit.

4. Curmudgeon

Many drum corps and high school/college drumlines have jacked the tuning range of their "tenor" drums far above where that voice was once placed. Many today are pitched as a multi-drum set of bongoes. The same has happened with the snare and bass segments as well. If tuning for your own taste, put the pitch range where it suits you.
    "Amateurs practice till they get it right. Professionals practice till they can't get it wrong."

Support the artists, buy music.

Member:
    Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
    American Federation of Musicians
    Percussive Arts Society
    Vic Firth Education Team

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Metzik View Post
    Hi guys!
    I'm new to drum corps and wonder if someone can recommend any place to learn about it, forums, sites etc?

Right now I'm looking for info regarding multi toms/timp toms, the trio ones, how to play, how to tune, mallets, heads etc.

Would be glad for some help.

/Fred
    Everything you would want to know about Drum Corps is on Drum Corps Planet. They even have a Percussion sub-forum. Check it out at www.drumcorpsplanet.com..............................................

6. Registered User

Check out Quad Logic by bill Bachman.

Bill Bachman is a phenom and his logic series of books are great. They cover everything from grips to hybrid rudiments in a clear and easy to understand manner.

http://www.amazon.com/Quad-Logic-Bil...7347351&sr=8-1

Check out the skills...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga_9J...eature=related

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by yoder View Post
    Check out Quad Logic by bill Bachman.

Bill Bachman is a phenom and his logic series of books are great. They cover everything from grips to hybrid rudiments in a clear and easy to understand manner.

http://www.amazon.com/Quad-Logic-Bil...7347351&sr=8-1

Check out the skills...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga_9J...eature=related
    I'll second this post! Bill is amazing!

8. Registered User

Everything in marching corps is about what you can bring to the line. Re-learning the fundamentals is a must do. Every single season I march I always sit down and learn the rudiments. The rudiments can be applied to every single instrument in the line and pit. Learn all the rudiments but learn it at a slow tempo (maybe 120 bpm) and get faster. Get the chops to the point it burns your wrists a tad. Not a searing pain of course. The techs for the lines (pit included) will be impressed if you can do these rudiments with no trouble. Vic firth has videos and posters for free online or even at marching band/corps shows.