Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default RH-2000 much heavier than the H-2000

Hi I am new to the forum. Been playing drums for a couple of years now. Gotta say it is one of the most addicting and fun hobbies that I have ever had. Just something about beating on those drums alleviates all stress.

I have all Eliminator pedals (dual-bass) and an H-2000. I recently also purchased an RH-2000 pedal but I can't seem to adjust the feel to be as light as I would like. It is extremely heavy. I estimate it to be as much as 4x heavier than my regular H-2000 (which I have dialed up to about half-way on its spring-tension adjust). On the RH I have installed the largest "white" cam and the spring tension adjust is all the way down, finally I tried pulling the pedal forward which the manual says provides more power.

I am wondering if anyone has any secrets to adjusting the RH-2000 that I didn't see in the manual. I can feel the static resistance in the Bowden cable but I think my issue has more to do with the spring simply being too strong. Don't know if this will loosen up after playing it in for a while or if I simply purchased a bad unit? Unfortunately, the place that I got it doesn't have enough business selling these so they don't put examples on the floor (so I have nothing to compare mine against).

If this is a defective unit I only have about 10 days left to get it back for a replacement so any help folks can provide is much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Ryan
    Setup: Gretsch Renown, Zildjian A Customs, Gibraltar and Pearl hardware (eliminator pedals)

2. Registered User

I dont have much experience with Remotes, but it seems like you have to many corners or sharp turns, so that the wire in the cable is rubbing against the actual rubber of the cable, creating friction and making heavier for you to push down.

Id say to try and create more of a smoother way from the pedal to the hats, to alleviate the friction.

Hope that helps.

3. Registered User

Thanks Metallic_AFan.

Yeah, I have tested it with the cable practically straight up in the air. The only other way of me possibly making the cable straighter is to remove one of the bends by hanging the hats upside down!! This occurred to me the other day but didn't try b/c I realized that I would be adding the weight of the top hat to the tension and pedal downforce.

I am bringing it back to the store tomorrow for a possible exchange. I may go with DW 9000 remote hat or the DW 9550 Universal Remote Hi-Hat System. I don't really want to go that route though for silly OCD reasons. I like the aesthetics of all my pedals looking and feeling the same.

Something else occurred to me though. Could I take an H2000 regular hi-hat stand and use a P-121TW Double Pedal Conversion Kit to implement something close to the DW 9550 Universal Remote Hi-Hat System?

This would work great for me b/c I am putting the pedal to the right of my primary bass drum pedal. Essentially, I am trying to make a setup in which my entire body can play "switch" (to borrow a snowboard term). I already play open-handed so can keep time with my left or right hand. With a double bass pedal setup and 2 hat pedals far left and right, I plan on learning everything on both sides of my body. Note, in this configuration it is also too tight to have a hi hat stand right next to the right bass pedal - I could maybe get it close but it would be in the way of my floor toms.

Thanks for any suggestions,
    Ryan
    Setup: Gretsch Renown, Zildjian A Customs, Gibraltar and Pearl hardware (eliminator pedals)

4. Registered User

So I came home tonight and I thought I would do some experimenting with my setup since I have an H2000 and the P2002 double bass pedal in addition to the new RH2000. So I unhooked the left bass pedal and was able to easily hook the drive shaft up to the H2000. However, immediate I realized that there is a problem. The bass pedal as configured rotates the shaft in the wrong direction. It was easy enough to unscrew the shaft and flip the Cam around. However, a couple of issues presented themselves. Firstly, (as far as I know) the chain cannot be flipped around so that it is in the ideal position. As a result as the image shows below, the chain has to be screwed down onto the cam upside down. That's not a huge issue but the resulting chain length is shortened quite a bit (I think even to the point where the plastic insert cams are practically useless). Additionally, this I imagine could damage the chain since it is folded over on itself. The good news is that I think I could easily order CCA-5H "Double Chain Assy. Complete" from page 12 of Pearl's parts catalog to replace the chain with the one used on the H2000 itself.

I think the more serious problem is that the way the cam is oriented when switched around there is a high degree of angle from the pedal to the cam as can be seen from the photo below. There doesn't appear to be any way to rectify this other than permanent modifications to the bass drum pedal; I am pretty sure I can drill new holes in the bass plate to push the pedal frame (part DC-513A) back and inch or so. Ideally, a second base that is used on the H2000 and RH2000 would be the best choice. However, it doesn't seem like that is available as a separate part from Pearl and I would hate to have to sacrifice an entire H2000 or RH2000 for that privilege (though that of course is another option).

So here is the bass pedal extension (again with the chain in a less than ideal configuration) shown connected to the H2000.

Also, I took a quick video on my phone to show that this does in fact work. In fact, I would say it works amazingly well. Much much better than the RH2000, though, of course it is somewhat limited in its setup possibilities. Some folks in the thread discussing electronic/remote hats are calling this type of configuration "offset" as opposed to "remote". Thus I'll unofficially dub this the OH2000.

Youtube Video of the OH2000 in action

Now what sucks is that the cost of this configuration would be:

1x H2000 ~$230
    1x P-121 TW $210
    1x CCA-5H (replacement chain in correct orientation) $20-$30? (guessing really I have no idea)

All in: $460-$470 bucks!!!

As a result of all this investigation I think I have decided on the following:
    1. The RH2000 is going back, defective or not I just don't feel like it is going to have the feel I want.
    2a. Suppress thoughts of OCD and have a mixed pedal setup with the Remote Speedy Hat which I never heard of today when I saw it on the other parallel thread on remote hats. And for just $250!
    2b. Hope that Pearl realizes that they could push to market in about 2 seconds a useful OH2000 from parts already in their parts bin and hope that it could be had for somewhere in the $250 dollar range.

Hope others find this info helpful,
    Ryan
    Last edited by OpenHands; 02-24-2011 at 05:56 AM.