7 43.75%
  • No

6 37.50%
  • Don't care

3 18.75%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. PDF resident cynic

Default A petition for Pearl

I've been thinking a bout this for a while, so please bear with me.
    I believe, that demon drive is one of the 3 best DD pedals - axis, trick and demon.
    However they are very expensive and very adjustible. Of course, there are lower end dd's - gibraltar, yamaha and so on, but they all have their own design flaws, mostly in connection rods, which have a lot of play in them and only gets worse in the years of pedal use. And double pedal is as good as it's connection rod is.
    There is no middle ground DD pedal.
    I believe there are many people who would love to have a cheaper DD pedal with a proper connection rod (z link for example). Of course, you could always buy one and attach to your existing pedal, but in many cases that's not an option, because you don't need a spare flimsy stock rod and so on. you also don't need seventeen billion adjustments on demon drive or axis, because when your feet dials in to the pedal you realize that you infinite adjustment's is a bit of a gimmick and you payed for abilities you will never use.
    So this is the problem - we need a simple DD pedal with proper connection rod and basic adjustments only, so we would only have to pay for what we really need.
    We need beater angle adjustment, foot board hight adjustment and spring tension. That's it.
    I don't think this is difficult adn expensive to achieve - use the parts you already have from other pedals, to decrease the manufacturing costs, use simple beaters, because most people will change them anyways.
    Your ideas and feedback is most welcome.

Sharing is caring
    Under the sign of D-beat

Un-ban nik12!

2. I hit stuff!

I don't think it's the adjustment options that make the DD so expensive, it's simply the quality of the parts, the increased quality control, etc (plus the usual markup, of course).

I'm sure Pearl could sell a cheap direct drive pedal, but it wouldn't have the quality of the DD.

3. PDF resident cynic

agreed about the quality, however throwing away unnecessary adjustments, option, super advanced beaters and using existing parts you could drop the price somewhat noticebly. it's possible to take most parts from P-902 and eliminator, and because they're already made in quantity they would be much cheaper
    Under the sign of D-beat

Un-ban nik12!

4. that one guy

Quote Originally Posted by beermaniac View Post
    there are lower end dd's - yamaha
    I beg to differ.
    These things are tanks.
    Gamertag: DarkEdgeX5
    Facebook

5. I hit stuff!

it's possible to take most parts from P-902 and eliminator
    Is this something you've actually checked, or are you just guessing?

If what you want is basically a p-902 with direct drive, there are conversion kits available that will do that. Then there's the double pedal connecting rod, which might just be the most expensive part of the whole setup. If you moved that to the "cheap" pedal, I'm guessing you'd see a hefty price increase right away.

In any case, I'd wager that Pearl is very aware that many people would love a cheap version of the DD though (like the 902 is a cheap version of the Eliminator). I'm guessing they're either working on the problem, or they've got various reasons as to why it won't happen.

6. Moderator

A "petition" for a company to make something custom because you want less features? What next.
    FDNY Members murdered on 9/11/01
    http://nyfd.com/9_11_wtc.html

7. PDF resident cynic

Quote Originally Posted by DarkEdgeX5 View Post
    I beg to differ.
    These things are tanks.
    they are well built, bet their connection rod is pretty bad, has tns of play
    Under the sign of D-beat

Un-ban nik12!

8. PDF resident cynic

[QUOTE=Naigewron;1853737088]Is this something you've actually checked, or are you just guessing?
    If what you want is basically a p-902 with direct drive, there are conversion kits available that will do that. Then there's the double pedal connecting rod, which might just be the most expensive part of the whole setup. If you moved that to the "cheap" pedal, I'm guessing you'd see a hefty price increase right away.
    QUOTE]

I'm assuming. what i have in mind is basicly a p-902 with z-link and dd. yes it would increase the price, but it would be well worth it, and still cheaper then a top of the line pedal
    Under the sign of D-beat

Un-ban nik12!

9. PDF resident cynic

Quote Originally Posted by SLIPKNOT1 View Post
    A "petition" for a company to make something custom because you want less features? What next.
    if i'm the only one who needs this - then it's a custom. if there are a hundreds of such pedals needed - it's an unused niche in the market
    Under the sign of D-beat

Un-ban nik12!

10. Registered User

because when your feet dials in to the pedal you realize that you infinite adjustment's is a bit of a gimmick and you payed for abilities you will never use.
    And how can you know what adjustments you will use and which you won't?

agreed about the quality, however throwing away unnecessary adjustments,
    What exact adjustment you think is not necessary? Light and heavy feel on direct drive? I like the light feeling someone other likes heavy. Which one exactly is unnecessary? To me it's the heavy feeling, to other it's light. It's the same with other adjustments. Catching my drift? That's the reason DD has so many adjustments. To fit most drummers needs, not to be expensive.

11. PDF resident cynic

Quote Originally Posted by Grof Drobikus View Post
    And how can you know what adjustments you will use and which you won't?

What exact adjustment you think is not necessary? Light and heavy feel on direct drive? I like the light feeling someone other likes heavy. Which one exactly is unnecessary? To me it's the heavy feeling, to other it's light. It's the same with other adjustments. Catching my drift? That's the reason DD has so many adjustments. To fit most drummers needs, not to be expensive.
    I know a lot of drummers with elims who had problems with gazillion adjustments. They spent more time looking for the perfect settings rather then playing. Eventualy most of them just stuck to the some setting not because they felt it was the best, but because they we're too tired of looking for perfection. I'm not saying that you should have no settings what so ever. Let your feet adjust to the settings and stick to them, rather then rape your pedal forever
    Under the sign of D-beat

Un-ban nik12!

12. Registered User

I don't rape my pedal forever, I found my settings after a few weeks with the pedal and still stick to it. If I wanted my feet to adjust to the settings I wouldn't changed my old Iron Cobras for Demon Drives. Following that logic, why would you want a Pearl to make you a cheaper version of Demon Drives? Just buy whatever pedal and let your feet adjust to it.
    It's not a pedals fault cause a drummer doesn't know how to adjust it to his own preferences. And I know from experience, in 95% of the time whenever a drummer is not satisfied with his playing he would rather look at his pedals instead at his feet.