Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

• Home
  1. Registered User

Default Would you pay $340 for a Roc N Soc Nitro + Back Rest?

I am in the market for a new throne, preferably with a back rest and I seem to be getting caught up in everything I'm reading about this throne. I'm after something that leans more towards the softer end of the spectrum as opposed to the firmer style of seat and this throne seems like the go. I am also a fairly decent size, about 175cm/5' 10", 90~kg/200lbs.

Back rest is necessary as it is one of the main reasons I'm making the move to a newer throne. I'm currently using some piece of **** cheap Yamaha one and am not liking the fatigue and pressure it puts on my back.

Basically, I can't find a Roc N Soc dealer in Aus (if you know one, please let me know) so the throne + back rest + shipping from Musician's Friend is about $340AU/US - same thing now anyway.

Would you pay this price for the Nitro or would it be better to go with something like a Tama Ergo/Wide Rider with Back Rest for roughly the same price from an Aus dealer? The Pearl D2000 seems like a distant option based on a fair few negative reviews.

My local dealer tends to be a Pearl whore with their throne selection so I may not be able to find the Tama.

Cheers

2. Registered User

the Tama ErgoRider FTW!
    For Sale on Ebay
    For Sale on DrumForum.org
    Gretsch Drums | DW Hardware | Sabian | Pro-Mark | Remo

3. Pearl-Zildjian

I have the Roc-n-Soc nitro with a backrest. It is simply amazing. I have only owned the roc n soc and no-namers so i cant compare it to much but it is definitly comfy. I got mine for about $210 from Guitar Center. Sounds like shipping is gonna be expensive. If you dont like it i think GC has a 30day money back garentee, not sure about musicians friend though.
    Proud owner of a Pearl EXR with Zildjian cymbals
    http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=246383
    Wanna see somthing cool? Click on the link above and comment!

4. Moderator

I am not a fan of Nitro Thones for three reasons.

1. They will always have bounce. There is no way to lock them. Fineif you like bounce. But most drummers want a firm platform to play off of.

2. They will always swivel. There is no way to lock them in place. Again, many drummers prefer a locking throne for stability.

3. They will lose pressure in time. Maybe not for 8-10 years, but the pressure will slowly degrade.

Just keep those things in mind.
    FDNY Members murdered on 9/11/01
    http://nyfd.com/9_11_wtc.html

5. I bang...

Quote Originally Posted by SLIPKNOT1 View Post

1. They will always have bounce. There is no way to lock them. Fineif you like bounce. But most drummers want a firm platform to play off of.

2. They will always swivel. There is no way to lock them in place. Again, many drummers prefer a locking throne for stability.

3. They will lose pressure in time. Maybe not for 8-10 years, but the pressure will slowly degrade.

IMO these are all the things that make the roc n soc so much better than any of the competition. It's nice to have a little give under ur arse. Oh and they are guaranteed for life, so while they do lose pressure eventually they should be replaced free of charge.
    10-Piece Custom Pearl Masters MCX Chestnut Fade

8x8, 10x10, 12x10, 14x12, 16x16, 18x16, 22x18 (X2), 14x5.5 matching snare, Remo Rotos 6", 8", 10"

Quote Originally Posted by KickassDrummer
    Like chestnuts roasting over an open fire
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewGuy
    You ARE the Chestnut Fade Jedi Master
    CF ARMY GENERAL

6. I bang...

forgot to answer your question...340 is def way over the top for any throne period. But if dropping that much cash is your only option then the roc n soc is def the way to go.
    10-Piece Custom Pearl Masters MCX Chestnut Fade

8x8, 10x10, 12x10, 14x12, 16x16, 18x16, 22x18 (X2), 14x5.5 matching snare, Remo Rotos 6", 8", 10"

Quote Originally Posted by KickassDrummer
    Like chestnuts roasting over an open fire
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewGuy
    You ARE the Chestnut Fade Jedi Master
    CF ARMY GENERAL

7. Registered User

I also have a Roc-n-Soc (with the backrest) and I really like it. Yes it does swivel and bounce a bit but I find it very comfortable. I'm quite happy with mine.

Pearl Masterworks Kit - Tamo Tangerine fade to Natural with Satin
    (22x18(2), 8x7, 10x8, 12x9, 14x11, 16x16, 18x16, 14x6.5 20ply snare)

Pearl Masters Kit - Vintage Wine
    (20x16, 10x8, 12x9, 14x14)

8. life start at 125bpm

They will always have bounce.

They will always swivel.

They will lose pressure in time

exactly the reasons as why i can't stand them. playing on a throne who bounces all the time.....eeew, very annoying. never ever.
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

9. Registered User

You guys are all forgetting that all prices are higher in Australia. $340 could be a deal. IMO the Nitro is amazing. I love the bounce, and love the swivel too. All my drummer friends are jealous of it.
    Last edited by paistepower92; 02-24-2011 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Check out my studio project - Elephant In the Room

Also selling an 18" Meinl Soundcaster Fusion china PM for more info

10. Less is more

check aus ebay, fwiw....i assume there is one ....

ive had this ludiwg w back for 5 years and it holds up like a tank...

http://www.music123.com/product/LM44...446327.product

11. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by SLIPKNOT1 View Post

Try before you buy if you can. All the reasons Slip mentioned (except the pressure loss over time) are the very reasons that make me love my ROc-n-soc Nitro. I played it for years with out a backrest and then finally bought a backrest from a member off the PDF when he switched to a different throne. If you also have tight living quarters it doubles great as a computer desk chair and you get more bang for the buck as I did in college.
    Export 10", 12", 22" x 18"
    MMX 13"x11" #189 orange burnish
    MMX 12"x9" midnight fade
    Pearl (Not Gretsch) Steve Ferrone signature snare.
    Pearl M-80 Firecracker

For Sale:One Gibraltar L-Rod tom arm for DW/Pacific; One RIMS 13" tom mount original steel alloy;. PM me!