Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mavman View Post
    Excellent. Thank you. This is great information for those buying used FF snares and don't know the history. From your pictures, my 6.5" FF snare is a 1st generation FF snare and the 3.5" brass FF is a second generation snare. Thanks again.
    The easiest way to tell the difference between 1st and 2nd gen freefloaters at a glance is to look at the threaded tubes(equivalent to lugs on a non floating drum) that the tension rods screw into 1st gen = hexagonal 2nd gen = round,the shells are interchangeable berween 1st and second gen

2. Drummer since 1963

First gen hexagonal

3. Ginger and Mary Ann

I dislike the whole FF design... I owned 3 of them trying to find a way to like this snare and just could not find the MoJo. Mine were brass, copper and maple. The copper was the best but still not a great snare IMHO. Too many parts and seams, and the pot metal base ring just seemed a tone robber.
    FS: 6.5x14 Craviotto mahogany, 8 lugs, 30deg edges, minty. $500+ship.

4. Registered User

Not to be a kill-joy, but I have similar feelings regarding Free-Floating snares.
    I really like the whole concept and tried like hell to love the drum, but in the end just didn’t.
    The drum was built nicely, everything worked as it should and felt solid, but there was just something about the sound that didn’t jive for me.

The drum had great tone but I could never get a nice snare response. It was sensitive and articulate, but always sounded somewhat flat and dull.
    Perhaps this is due to the shell vibration being dampened by the FF carrier, rather than being transferred directly to the resonant head like on a normal drum.

I was considering experimenting with different snare wires to try and improve the situation, but ultimately decided not to, and instead offloaded the drum for a profit.
    The only replacement wires I could find in the correct length (this was a 2nd gen FF with the extended wires) was the stock replacement Pearl wires (meh) or Puresounds which were going to cost $100+.
    I thought about putting some standard length wires on it, but found that my favourite 42 strands probably wouldn’t work, and that using regular count, standard length wires on it somewhat defeated the purpose.

If I ever have the opportunity to buy a Tico signature at a good price, I’ll probably give the FF’s another shot.
    Tama Starclassic Performer 100% Birch - 22x16, 10x7.5, 12x7.5, 16x16
    Tama Starphonic Aluminum Snare - 14x6
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/HH
    Evans Drumheads, Pro-Mark Drumsticks

5. My Concord Faded

Shell vibration... muffled sounds... no sensitivity... what the heck are you guys on about? The FF is the most sensitive snare ive ever had. I also doubt snare shells vibrate much at all with the lugs and tension...
    VBX Concord Fade 7 Piece
    Kick Sub Mod
    How to: Split your double (P2002) Eliminator into singles (P2000)

dFd Black Chrome 2.3mm hoops for sale, single 6", 8, 10, 12, 14(8 hole), 16, 18 (pairs)

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TalonTsi90 View Post
    Shell vibration... muffled sounds... no sensitivity... what the heck are you guys on about? The FF is the most sensitive snare ive ever had. I also doubt snare shells vibrate much at all with the lugs and tension...
    I don't get it either, I keep getting flack about them in a lot of threads, but I think they are very sensitive, and very lively. You can make them sound pretty dead and boxy with the wrong heads and tuning, but I just don't hear them sounding like that at all.

Sent from my iPad using Pearl Drums

7. My Concord Faded

Yea, i took a cue from the marching snares and cranked the reso allowing me to leave the batter loose or tight and still sound great
    VBX Concord Fade 7 Piece
    Kick Sub Mod

dFd Black Chrome 2.3mm hoops for sale, single 6", 8, 10, 12, 14(8 hole), 16, 18 (pairs)

8. Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lddrummer View Post
    I don't get it either, I keep getting flack about them in a lot of threads, but I think they are very sensitive, and very lively. You can make them sound pretty dead and boxy with the wrong heads and tuning, but I just don't hear them sounding like that at all.
    I find them very forgiving when it comes to tuning. *shrug*

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TalonTsi90 View Post
    Yea, i took a cue from the marching snares and cranked the reso allowing me to leave the batter loose or tight and still sound great
    Yep, exactly how I ended up tuning. I have the reso very tight, and they batter medium tight right now...but like you said , I just vary the top head to get the sound I am looking for!

Sent from my iPad using Pearl Drums

10. Too many drummers

Sold a first gen FF a few years before,but i missed it so much... i got myself another one ! The brass really is great (owner of the brass ones are the lucky ones hey tey don't make em anymore ! )and i'm looking forward to get me a maple shell .
    I play a Ludwig COB snare,but man that brass free floater is a real sensitive snare.And with suited heads and tuning you can use them for anything,from metal to jazz.

If you ever see a FF second hand for a low price,go for it !
    Pearl MLX sequoia red (long lugs)
    Pearl "All maple shell" snare 14x6.5
    Ludwig Supraphonic "Chrome over brass" snare 14x6.5
    Yamaha brass snare 14x5.5
    Pearl free floating brass snare 14x6.5
    Sabian and Zildjian cymbals.

11. My Concord Faded

Are you freaking KIDDING me??? Sometimes it sucks to live in the US

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JKPE-Pearl-C...item4618de5d26
    VBX Concord Fade 7 Piece
    Kick Sub Mod

12. #38 Stainless Steel

Well, it does claim free world-wide shipping…
    1982 Maxwin DLX705 in #55 Silver Flash
    1994 SX "Session Series" in #38 Stainless Steel
    1990 CZX "Custom Z" in #130 Champagne
    1991 SZX "CZX Studio" in #133 Crimson Quartz
    1986 SC "Syncussion X" in black