Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
  1. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by Tasty808 View Post
    So, Majicdrum, who's been on here since 2010 but has only posted 6 times, had asked a question about 8-lug free floaters. I knew Gretsch had made their own version of the free floaters so I pointed that out. Then, a few days ago, I'm on Facebook when a guy posts a picture of a rare 14x10 (or 12) free floater with a Pearl shell.

Could be the original maker of the free floater though... I forget what company Pearl took the design from, CB maybe? Anyway, I know pearl made free floating marching snares but I believe the strainer was attached to the shell and the chassis was at the top of the drum... this could be a modified version of that(?).
    I don't know which company originated the free-floating snare drum, but it appears that Sleishman makes an 8-lug snare drum, in both 13" and 14", and with all sorts of options in shell and hardware finish. http://www.sleishman.com/sleishman-custom-snare-drum/

Name:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  38.0 KB

Name:  unnamed-1.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  30.2 KB
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Reverb Listings ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay Auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE

2. Chomp, Chomp

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    I don't know which company originated the free-floating snare drum, but it appears that Sleishman makes an 8-lug snare drum, in both 13" and 14", and with all sorts of options in shell and hardware finish. http://www.sleishman.com/sleishman-custom-snare-drum/

Name:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  38.0 KB

Name:  unnamed-1.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  30.2 KB
    The ring doesn’t seem to be attached to the shell. How is this really different from a single tension drum?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

3. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by quicksticks View Post
    The ring doesn’t seem to be attached to the shell. How is this really different from a single tension drum?
    The only difference I can see is, it's easier to change heads on a Sleishman, one head at a time, than on a single tension drum. Right around 6:30, you can see him switch shells pretty quickly.

Website ===> CLICK HERE

4. Chomp, Chomp

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    The only difference I can see is, it's easier to change heads on a Sleishman, one head at a time, than on a single tension drum. Right around 6:30, you can see him switch shells pretty quickly.

At 2:50, he explains that it really is a single tension system, so tightening one head does affect the other. I like Pearl’s system much better.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

5. Registered User

It's been forever since I posted, so I wanted to share a pic of a very special free-floater... from WAY back... this piece is in a little museum honoring a multitalented man - 3 guesses, or if anyone's seen it before, say where it is/to whom it belonged!

Name:  20160904_120110.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  48.5 KB

6. Registered User

Name:  20200412_140445.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  63.3 KB

Here's my FF complement - Pearl 3.5" Brass, 5" Copper, 6.5" Maple Stave, 8" Brass, and my Maple Sleishman! I also have steel shell for the 3.5" and the 5.5, a Brass for the 5" and an Aluminum for 8".

Some comments:

3.5" is the PERFECT piccolo and I have never even considered buying another one (I do have a 3x13" pearl brass for my amusement which I had from before the FF).

5" - I wasn't in love with the copper when I first got the shell, but it's grown on me.

8" - I paid dearly for this one, but I wanted to own one since it was (is?) the snare Gene Hoglan preferred and he stated how much he loved it. A tribute to one of my favorite drummers.

Funny Sleishman story - I got this used from ebay. When I received it, the guy had tape ALL OVER the top head. I'm not sure the previous owner understood the strength of the FF... I put all new heads, snares, and it now sings beautifully....

7. Registered User

Hi guys,

Maybe someone can help me out, I'm trying to get parts for my snare for a rebuild, I'm just wondering where I can get the parts? and which would be easier to procure as well.

Posted the pictures here:
    https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...post1854459982

8. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by Mikewebber View Post
    Hi guys,

Maybe someone can help me out, I'm trying to get parts for my snare for a rebuild, I'm just wondering where I can get the parts? and which would be easier to procure as well.

Posted the pictures here:
    https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...post1854459982
    You should measure the distance between the mounting holes for the throw off and butt. I believe the SR1000F strainer will work on that old free-floating chassis, but I'm not sure. You might also get away with the SR160F, but the chassis might need some modification. See this post.

https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...n-Free-Floater
    Website ===> CLICK HERE

9. Registered User

Hi all, just got hold of a 2nd Gen 90's brass 14 x 3.5 free floating snare. It's pretty beaten up but it was cheap so treating it as a project.

I have a question though. The Snare strainer and butt side mechanism (S-010) bolt to the middle arc hoop. Are they supposed to bolt onto it snugly and fixed? The ones I have wobble and have play/movement when screwed on, is that normal?

Thanks, Ben

10. The Hardware Guy

Rare carbon shell FFS for sale on eBay UK, with what looks like worldwide shipping - bargain price too: by the time I imported mine into the UK (from America) it was £500 all said and done

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pearl-Fre...6/224072339961

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

11. Registered User

All cleaned up/fixed and ready to rock. Sounds great!

Name:  Pearl Free Floater afterwards.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  63.5 KB

12. Registered User

Name:  pff3.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  35.4 KB
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]522177[/ATTACH

Hello!
    Need more info about this one,seem like 1st gen but I never see this throw off and the badge looks like a sticker not like a metal badge.
    Thank you!
    Greetings,Viktor
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by tramuntana1975; 11-11-2021 at 02:46 PM.