Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Does your Bass Drum Have to be Virgin? Why?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mounts

15 21.74%
  • Virgin

54 78.26%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Pearl Lifer

In my case the bass drum is the 4 ply 5mm birch shell, I would worry about 17+ years of toms weighing down on that thin shell. Another thing that bothers me is that lack of closer/farther adjustment on most kick mounts. Give me an ax-20 and a th 100 off a boom stand and I can put that tom anywhere

Since I’m pretty set on only using one rack tom, I would consider that new version of rail consolette that Gibraltar makes on a new kit.

2. Bad Girlfriend

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_D View Post
    I think it looks better (& the replacement cover looks lame IMO). I use an AX20 to clamp my 12" tom to a cymbal stand & it's no faster setting up having a BB3, the clamp stays on the stand permanently so all I need to do is hang the tom in place. Just as quick as placing it on a tom mount. Personal opinion I guess....
    It's quick but you always forget a tom at home lol!!!!!!
    PEARL DRUMS
    MCX RED GLASS 22" X 18," 14" x 6.5", 10" X 8", 12" X 9", 14" x 11", 16" X 14", 18" x 16", and Sabians
    My Kit; http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/at...8&d=1290113760

MASTERS ARMY

3. Bring the funk

The Export kit I used to have had a mount in the bass drum, and my toms always sounded awful with them attached to the bass drum. For some reason, they sounded more open and full when mounted to a stand or rack.

My MCX is a virgin bass and I intend to keep it that way.

4. Masterworks

I prefer the look of a virgin bass drum. I also use only one rack tom & that's mounted on a snare stand & my ride is on a boom stand over the bass drum.
    Masterworks - Purple Sparkle Burst
    Masters MCX - Cranberry Fade
    DW Collector's Maple/Mahogany - Blue Glass

Masters Army

5. Spirit WARS inside..

I have had kits with and without. I personally prefer with the bass drum mount for reasons already stated.
    MAPEX l PEARL l SABIAN

BOOM DA DA BAP DA BOOM BOOM DA BAP
    CDA MEMBER since 2006

6. My Concord Faded

With my current kit, i dont need a mount, but wouldnt have thought i could get a virgin kick. IF, and probably a big if, i ever go dual 24's, ill get them virgin.
    VBX Concord Fade 7 Piece
    Kick Sub Mod
    How to: Split your double (P2002) Eliminator into singles (P2000)

dFd Black Chrome 2.3mm hoops for sale, single 6", 8, 10, 12, 14(8 hole), 16, 18 (pairs)

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by nova View Post
    It's quick but you always forget a tom at home lol!!!!!!
    haha... it's left home on purpose mate!! I was thinking of you when I was setting up at our gig last weekend, thinking "if Lonny was here he'd be questioning my 4 piece" LOL.
    Check out my sig!
    It will soon have all the details about my drums, hardware, cymbals, band name, purchases, future purchases, possible future purchases I could very well be easily talked into, a *URL*, my dreams, my aspirations, what food I like and my favourite colour. Watch this space!

8. Secret Agent 007.5

I never liked the limited tom placement (for my taste) with the Bass mount, never could get the toms angled JUST right and them sit over the Bass the way I like at the same time. On my first kit the darn thing would "Walk" away from me and take the toms with it! lol So aggrivating. I like to adjust my bass without re-adjusting the toms, and vice versa. It looks cleaner, and allows more versatility IMO. Thats why I prefer a virgin kick
    Last edited by DrummerFlick; 01-29-2011 at 10:35 PM.
    Pearl
    MCX- Diamond Glitter 10,12,14,16,22 & 14x6.5 Natural Maple Snare

*FOR SALE* ~ DW Collector Series- Blue Glass 10,12,14,16,& 23

Zildjian
    K Light Hats, K Custom Session & Dark Crash, K Dark Medium Thin Crash, & K Ride

9. My Concord Faded

Yea, i hate walking kick drums....
    VBX Concord Fade 7 Piece
    Kick Sub Mod
    How to: Split your double (P2002) Eliminator into singles (P2000)

dFd Black Chrome 2.3mm hoops for sale, single 6", 8, 10, 12, 14(8 hole), 16, 18 (pairs)

10. Bad Girlfriend

Quote Originally Posted by drummerflick View Post
    I never liked the limited tom placement (for my taste) with the Bass mount, never could get the toms angled JUST right and them sit over the Bass the way I like at the same time. On my first kit the darn thing would "Walk" away from me and take the toms with it! lol So aggrivating. I like to adjust my bass without re-adjusting the toms, and vice versa. It looks cleaner, and allows more versatility IMO. Thats why I prefer a virgin kick
    A good drum rug and good bass drum spurs will stop the walking. We all had that problem when we were new I would speculate.
    PEARL DRUMS
    MCX RED GLASS 22" X 18," 14" x 6.5", 10" X 8", 12" X 9", 14" x 11", 16" X 14", 18" x 16", and Sabians
    My Kit; http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/at...8&d=1290113760

MASTERS ARMY

11. kottonmouth king

virgin, giggidy

"Smudge got her stitches out and so had to have a collar attached tofday." -Maark

12. Chomp, Chomp

Quote Originally Posted by nova View Post
    A good drum rug and good bass drum spurs will stop the walking. We all had that problem when we were new I would speculate.
    I put up with bass drum walking forever back in the 60's. My Slingerlands only had spikes on their spurs, so if the bass was on any hard surface, it walked. Then I bought one of those bass drum anchors that attaches to the bottom reso hoop with the two reversible spikes or rubber tips. The drum still walked. Then I got a rug and my problems were solved.