Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Does your Bass Drum Have to be Virgin? Why?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mounts

15 21.74%
  • Virgin

54 78.26%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Bad Girlfriend

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Flacche View Post
    I totally agree with Will and Justin. The only thing I wanted to add is... when you have a virgin kick. It is a LITTLE easier to work on it (if you want to change a head, or play with the mic set-up). Not much, just a little (because you can move the kick drum more easily, and not have to worry about removing the toms first).
    I'm hearing a lot of aesthetics; "It looks better," and this; easier to work on at home or in the studio.

I love the look of Chrome and Red Glass!
    PEARL DRUMS
    MCX RED GLASS 22" X 18," 14" x 6.5", 10" X 8", 12" X 9", 14" x 11", 16" X 14", 18" x 16", and Sabians
    My Kit; http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/at...8&d=1290113760

MASTERS ARMY

2. Chomp, Chomp

I chose a virgin kick with my new drums for several reasons. I think that a virgin kick allows more of the drum's beauty to show. I also like my ride cymbal to be where your 12" tom is. I'm using a Pearl T2000 tom stand which is one incredible, rock solid piece of hardware with memory locks on everything, even the tripod. The T2000 allows me to place my 12" tom a little further to the right (when viewed from the playing position) than a BB3 would, so my 10" tom is further to the right as well. I'm also using an 8" tom to the left of my hi hat. My first Slingerland kit in 1961 had a virgin kick, as my parents purchased my drums one at a time. I deflowered the kit when I got my 12" tom. Styles change and it does seem like more high end kits are coming with virgin kicks these days. I'm sure this will cycle again and I can always get out the drill and rob yet another kick of it's virginity.

3. *not Steve Carell

all this talk about virginity is making me want to go plug

....my tom mounts.
    -~=Joey=~-
    ---------------
    '99 MRX Naturals, Sabian cymbals, Starclassic Birch Snare

4. should be drumming

i totally don't mind mounts on kicks, but i like it because the drum is a good deal lighter without it, and thus easier to travel with. and, i also like the adjustability mounting off of a boom, or on a snare stand or something. you can only mount it in so many positions off the kick.

5. Rockin' the Cosmos..

I prefer virgins .. but I won't complain if I have to use mounted bass.

6. C'mon now.

I personally prefer mounting my toms off stands for better positioning. I actually prefer to do it that way when there is a tom mount in the bass drum, and using that mount for a cimbal stand instead. I find it keeps the floor space in front of my kit a little more clear.

7. Drummin' slut & lovin' it

I made my own BB3 replacement cover (before Pearl relented and made one) for when I was using a 2 sided rack with 2 front, 2 side toms. That kit now has it's BB3 back on, now my practice kit. When I ordered my current gig kick, I ordered with a BB3 for smaller simpler setups but was sent a virgin bass. Too much hassle to return it and replace. I toy with adding a BB3 now and again but do like the looks without BB3 a lot. Plus, I tried using a snare stand for a smaller set, and cymbal stand mounting front toms. Just doesn't work for me. Went back to a front rack, even for a 4pc setup. The rack is ultra sturdy and replaces a tom mount and 2 cymbal stands. Ever had a guitarist knock your stand mounted tom into your less than a month old $400 bass drum? NOT GOOD!!! And surprisingly a virgin bass drum has higher "curb appeal" in the used market. I keep my eyes out for a decent matching used 22" kick with a BB3 to have the best of both worlds but no luck, at least at a decent price ;>(

to the OP:
    You really should have added a "doesn't matter to me" option in the poll.

weps
    Pearl Masters piano black: MRX 8x8, 10x8, 12x8, MMX 15x14, 18x16, MRX 20x16 bass
    Snares: 14x5 Blacrolite w/S-hoop, 14x5 SX jazz special pimped w/Mastercast.
    Cymbals: ALL PAISTE: 3000 heavy hats, Signature 16", 18" fast crash, 17" mellow crash, 20" heavy dry ride, 18" thin China

8. I play with myself.

It does not matter to me. I go virgin for looks. I have had both, but if I have the choice, I go virgin. I actually believe I notice a slight difference in low end thump WITH a BB3, but that could just be me.

Pearl - Paiste - Aquarian - Trick Pedals - Pro Mark - Gibraltar - Tama Throne

9. Chomp, Chomp

I keep forgetting we're talking about bass drums. Now, the bass drum clutter award would have to go to the Yamaha Hip Gig. Two toms, two cymbals, and a snare all flying off of the kick. Cluttered yes, but I'd like to own one of them.

10. Bad Girlfriend

Quote Originally Posted by weps View Post
    I made my own BB3 replacement cover (before Pearl relented and made one) for when I was using a 2 sided rack with 2 front, 2 side toms. That kit now has it's BB3 back on, now my practice kit. When I ordered my current gig kick, I ordered with a BB3 for smaller simpler setups but was sent a virgin bass. Too much hassle to return it and replace. I toy with adding a BB3 now and again but do like the looks without BB3 a lot. Plus, I tried using a snare stand for a smaller set, and cymbal stand mounting front toms. Just doesn't work for me. Went back to a front rack, even for a 4pc setup. The rack is ultra sturdy and replaces a tom mount and 2 cymbal stands. Ever had a guitarist knock your stand mounted tom into your less than a month old $400 bass drum? NOT GOOD!!! And surprisingly a virgin bass drum has higher "curb appeal" in the used market. I keep my eyes out for a decent matching used 22" kick with a BB3 to have the best of both worlds but no luck, at least at a decent price ;>(

to the OP:
    You really should have added a "doesn't matter to me" option in the poll.

weps
    I didn't realize that some people really don't care. Most people either have to have a Virgin; or they have to have their mounts!
    PEARL DRUMS
    MCX RED GLASS 22" X 18," 14" x 6.5", 10" X 8", 12" X 9", 14" x 11", 16" X 14", 18" x 16", and Sabians

MASTERS ARMY

11. Bad Girlfriend

I can see that some finishes are so nice that the drummer only wants the vent hole(s) and the badge.
    PEARL DRUMS

MASTERS ARMY

12. Registered User

I think it looks better (& the replacement cover looks lame IMO). I use an AX20 to clamp my 12" tom to a cymbal stand & it's no faster setting up having a BB3, the clamp stays on the stand permanently so all I need to do is hang the tom in place. Just as quick as placing it on a tom mount. Personal opinion I guess....
    Check out my sig!
    It will soon have all the details about my drums, hardware, cymbals, band name, purchases, future purchases, possible future purchases I could very well be easily talked into, a *URL*, my dreams, my aspirations, what food I like and my favourite colour. Watch this space!