Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Does your Bass Drum Have to be Virgin? Why?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mounts

15 21.74%
  • Virgin

54 78.26%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Bad Girlfriend

Question WHY Do You Need a Virgin Bass Drum?

Everyone seems so interested in keeping a Virgin Bass Drum. I've always had a BB3 Mount for my toms or earlier; a tom mount and a cymbal mount (in the 60's). It saves set up time to just attatch the toms to the mount and requires fewer stands. I find the mounts usefull and I'm glad I have them.

Why do you prefer "Virgins" for bass drums?
    PEARL DRUMS
    MCX RED GLASS 22" X 18," 14" x 6.5", 10" X 8", 12" X 9", 14" x 11", 16" X 14", 18" x 16", and Sabians
    My Kit; http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/at...8&d=1290113760

MASTERS ARMY

2. Registered User

I like virgin bass drums (I have mount in my bass drum, though). They just look way better, IMO.

3. Registered User

I don't use a rack tom, so no need for a hole!
    Storming With Menace...

4. Bad Girlfriend

Quote Originally Posted by george_roper View Post
    I don't use a rack tom, so no need for a hole!
    That's a good reason!
    PEARL DRUMS
    MCX RED GLASS 22" X 18," 14" x 6.5", 10" X 8", 12" X 9", 14" x 11", 16" X 14", 18" x 16", and Sabians

MASTERS ARMY

5. Moderator

More then anything, i prefer the look of a virgin kick. As far as the mount affecting the sound of the kick, this really is only an issue if your playing your kick wide open with no muffling and you have toms mounted on the kick. That is when you will hear a difference in sound. But whether that difference in sound is a problem is subjective.

But the tom holder alone will not affect the sound and if you have a pillow or towel in your kick, then it really does not even matter since that is affecting the sound more then the mount does.
    FDNY Members murdered on 9/11/01
    http://nyfd.com/9_11_wtc.html

6. I <3 Ludwigs.

My only virgin kick is my '69 Slingerland and I just like it because it is pretty rare. (only factory with the double bass setup) Few people off stage is going to notice my bass drum mount or lack thereof.

7. Pearl Masters Drummer

I have no problem with toms mounts related to sound. I have heard so many kicks with tom mounts that sound just fine, no issues. I happen to like the appearance of a virgin kick better and IMO there is more flexibility with setup.

8. Bad Girlfriend

Quote Originally Posted by erwinner View Post
    My only virgin kick is my '69 Slingerland and I just like it because it is pretty rare. (only factory with the double bass setup) Few people off stage is going to notice my bass drum mount or lack thereof.
    That Purple Sparkle Slingerland is the Bomb!
    PEARL DRUMS

MASTERS ARMY

9. Matt Flacche

I totally agree with Will and Justin. The only thing I wanted to add is... when you have a virgin kick. It is a LITTLE easier to work on it (if you want to change a head, or play with the mic set-up). Not much, just a little (because you can move the kick drum more easily, and not have to worry about removing the toms first).

Quote Originally Posted by SLIPKNOT1 View Post
    More then anything, i prefer the look of a virgin kick. As far as the mount affecting the sound of the kick, this really is only an issue if your playing your kick wide open with no muffling and you have toms mounted on the kick. That is when you will hear a difference in sound. But whether that difference in sound is a problem is subjective.

But the tom holder alone will not affect the sound and if you have a pillow or towel in your kick, then it really does not even matter since that is affecting the sound more then the mount does.

10. Matt Flacche

I forgot... did you use the Pearl Plate to cover up your mount hole?

Quote Originally Posted by Roottori View Post
    I like virgin bass drums (I have mount in my bass drum, though). They just look way better, IMO.

11. *not Steve Carell

when i bought my kit, it was suggested to me to get a tom mount because it would help if i wanted to take a small kit later on, i wouldn't have to worry about mounting a tom on a cymbal stand. I'm glad he told me that, cause i use it extensively. In my current setup, i'd have to have an extra cymbal stand to mount my ride if I didn't have the tom mount. A mini gibralter cymbal boom is a lot lighter than another cymbal stand, so i guess it helps my back too..

I dont think i'll ever get a virgin kick unless it was gonna just be for home use... or I had a roadie...
    -~=Joey=~-
    ---------------
    '99 MRX Naturals, Sabian cymbals, Starclassic Birch Snare

12. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by nova View Post
    That Purple Sparkle Slingerland is the Bomb!
    +1 I love the color of that kit!
    MRX Antique Gold: kicks: 18x24 18x22 16x20, Toms: 8x8 8x10 9x12 10x12 11x13 12x14 14x16 14x14ft 14x16ft 16x18ft, snare 6.5x14
    1962 Ludwig Club Date, Red Sparkle
    2009 Ludwig Element Retro SE, Citrus Mod

Snare Drums

The Vejtabils!