Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 20
  1. Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    49

    Default Reference Pure: Pearl's "New" Jazz Kit?

    Just wondering what you all think about the Reference Pure kit being somewhat engineered as a jazz kit? I understand the logic of the studio function of the kit, but all of the feature changes--from the thinner shells to the lighter hoops to the lighter lugs--suggest that this kit, contrary to the original Reference kit or the standard MCX shells, should really tune up high nicely and sing/resonate very well.

    Up until now, the best option seem to be a Masterworks or old MMP shell with the 4-ply/5 mm setup with rerings, but not all players like the effect rerings have on their toms. The 6-ply/5.4 mm shell sans rings should be perfect for bebop tunings.

    A friend of mine who is a Pearl endorser and a phenomenal jazz player is quite excited about this kit, and so am I (even though I'm just average drummer trying to play jazz in the house).

  2. Registered User

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA
    Posts
    195

    Default Reference Pure: Pearl's "New" Jazz Kit?

    I'm not a "jazzer", but I tend to play equipment that has "that" sound. Up to this point I've used vintage Slingerlands, Leedys and USA Gretsch when I want that sound.

    Now it seems like Pearl has come up with a kit for me. I'm looking forward to trying a set out.
    -Mike of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA

    "We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

    "When I was young I wanted to be a drummer when I grew up, then I realized that I could only be a drummer if I didn't."

  3. Pearl Masters Drummer

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    5,992

    Default

    I'm sure it will sound great for Jazz, but I also see it being able to do it all really. I think tuning and head selection will dictate the feel and vibe that you will be able to get in much the same way we are able to do with most other kits. I'm very excited to hear this kit though, very excited. I love the tube lugs to death.

  4. I'm not Lebowski; I'm the dude

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,027

    Default



    Pearl made 5mm shells with rings for years with their Masters line and now "all of a sudden" they have a "jazz kit" that's 5.4mm without rings?
    For sale!:
    13" Zildjian A Mastersound top/New Beat bot HH's
    12" Zildjian Z splash
    PM me for pricing!

    Pearl Ref (SF) 8x7 10x8 12x9 14x11 16x13 22x20

    Snares, Tama Artstar II Limited kit, Yamaha/Roland kit

  5. Rockin' the Cosmos..

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Sirius-2DS
    Posts
    4,208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by veggyboy View Post


    Pearl made 5mm shells with rings for years with their Masters line and now "all of a sudden" they have a "jazz kit" that's 5.4mm without rings?
    yeah x2 .. not to mention they aren't just for jazz. I know people that used MMX/MMP 4 ply masters for rock, punk , metal and hardcore.

    You can make any kit a 'jazz' kit with head selection and tuning.

  6. should be drumming

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Springs, CO
    Posts
    4,358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BadAstronaut View Post
    You can make any kit a 'jazz' kit with head selection and tuning.
    fact.

  7. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Baja California North
    Posts
    2,176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BadAstronaut View Post

    You can make any kit a 'jazz' kit with head selection and tuning.
    + 2

  8. Registered User

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BadAstronaut View Post
    You can make any kit a 'jazz' kit with head selection and tuning.
    as a jazz drummer I must say that's not entirely true. Well you can turn any kit into a "jazz kit" by cranking all the lugs way way up high but that's just not the thing... only thing you'll get is a pretty high tuned kit... I know that in older records the tuning is not so accurate and fine like it is today, but if you go listen to modern jazz records, usually the drums' tuning is high but yet it is still round sounding and very mellow, a thing you just can't get right with some drums... my point is you have to go by the ear... IMO it seems that thinner shells seem to work the best... the whole drum just sings...
    And for the record I'm curious about the ref pure series too, for the same reasons mentioned up top =]

  9. Rockin' the Cosmos..

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Sirius-2DS
    Posts
    4,208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzy View Post
    as a jazz drummer I must say that's not entirely true. Well you can turn any kit into a "jazz kit" by cranking all the lugs way way up high but that's just not the thing... only thing you'll get is a pretty high tuned kit... I know that in older records the tuning is not so accurate and fine like it is today, but if you go listen to modern jazz records, usually the drums' tuning is high but yet it is still round sounding and very mellow, a thing you just can't get right with some drums... my point is you have to go by the ear... IMO it seems that thinner shells seem to work the best... the whole drum just sings...
    And for the record I'm curious about the ref pure series too, for the same reasons mentioned up top =]
    I understand what you're saying and agree.
    Although a higher tuning with coated heads top and bottom will give a very warm round tone also.

  10. ...A mind like Water...

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Lifestream
    Posts
    8,477

    Default

    Hate to sound like a jerk but, who says making the shells thinner/less mass and making the lugs and hoops more open and less heavy, etc, means it's designed for softer Music? Chris Pennie of Coheed and Cambria blasts out on Mapex Saturns which are super thin Maple/Walnut shells, low mass single point lugs and super-hoops. The Ref Pure kits will be able to suit all Musical needs. I've seen plenty of Jazzers on Reference originals.

  11. ...A mind like Water...

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Lifestream
    Posts
    8,477

    Default

    If anything, I think the thinner shells will reduce the fundamental pitch of the drums, usually a lower/deeper pitch suits Rock and metal a lot more than a higher pitch would. Projection can be affected by heads, tuning, play style and of course, Microphones. I guarantee the volume isn't significantly different. Jazz drums are usually tuned much higher, I know when I construct a Jazz kit one day I will tune it up quite high for the tone.

  12. Registered User

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Divine Sentiment View Post
    Hate to sound like a jerk but, who says making the shells thinner/less mass and making the lugs and hoops more open and less heavy, etc, means it's designed for softer Music? Chris Pennie of Coheed and Cambria blasts out on Mapex Saturns which are super thin Maple/Walnut shells, low mass single point lugs and super-hoops. The Ref Pure kits will be able to suit all Musical needs. I've seen plenty of Jazzers on Reference originals.
    I never said that... I basically said that in Jazz thinner shells might work better than other shells...
    On every jazz session I ever had, first thing I do after setting up my cymbals and stuff, I pull out my drum key and start cranking up both batter and reso heads on the toms... And like badastronaut said, it does make the drum sound a bit more round and eventually I get a round sounding high pitched drum... but still, from my experience, the thinner shells seem to work better... the tone you get is very rich and mellow...
    Though after all it's a mattr of taste... I like my shells thin... some may like it thicker...
    and for Ref origianl kits used by jazzers... well... look for the top names in modern jazz - not talking about fusion- most of the one's that choose to play pearl drums choose the masters series... at list from what I saw...
    and one last thing.. Jazz is not always soft, it can be very intense and loud.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •