Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
  1. I bang...

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewGuy View Post
    Thanks, RA. I absolutely love this combo. I was wanting to try it and then luckily found it. The 12 X 14 sits about an inch higher than I would like. Luckily I sit a bit high so it's not a huge deal and now feels normal. There was a time during the summer I considered cutting it down, but then I realized I just needed to do some push ups haha. It had been a long while since I did those! lol. Since then I find it's essentially at the perfect height without any extreme angles. I call this combo 'incremental perfection'. I get the punch and 'tenor-ness' from the 12, a bit of a power tom feel from the 14 and the full on squared 16 x 16. I 'occasionally' miss the punch of a shallower depth 2nd rack (a 13"???)...then I play and that feeling goes away haha. Ideally a 10 or 11 inch depth would be best for the set up if you don't sit high. I tend to tune a bit higher and my 12 sounds essentially like a 10 on steroids The 14" is rock solid up there. I highly recommend it (pun intended )
    Here's an older pic to give you a different perspective of the tom height. Please ignore those DC hoops on the snare I also have all Eliminators on the floor now.
    Awesome man. I originally ordered a pair of 24" kicks and I just couldn't get the toms positioned well above them at all, especially the 14x12, which is why I play 22s now. Fills must be all kinds of beefy with that size combo. My 14 rumbles quite a bit for it's size, but I tend to tune on the lower side.

So wait...you switched from axis to elims? Doesn't it usually go the other way? What became of those axis pedals, you still got em??
    10-Piece Custom Pearl Masters MCX Chestnut Fade

8x8, 10x10, 12x10, 14x12, 16x16, 18x16, 22x18 (X2), 14x5.5 matching snare, Remo Rotos 6", 8", 10"

Quote Originally Posted by KickassDrummer
    Like chestnuts roasting over an open fire
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewGuy
    You ARE the Chestnut Fade Jedi Master
    CF ARMY GENERAL

2. Rhythm Devil

Quote Originally Posted by ResonantAscendancy View Post
    Awesome man. I originally ordered a pair of 24" kicks and I just couldn't get the toms positioned well above them at all, especially the 14x12, which is why I play 22s now. Fills must be all kinds of beefy with that size combo. My 14 rumbles quite a bit for it's size, but I tend to tune on the lower side.

So wait...you switched from axis to elims? Doesn't it usually go the other way? What became of those axis pedals, you still got em??
    There's definitely no lightweight fills goin' on 'round here. I could easily see that issue arising with the 24's. I sold the Axis. Let's see, I had Elimiators, then Axis X lonboards (w/ Ekits), then Axis A longboards, then upgraded the A's to Axis "21", now back to Eliminators. It was time for change more than anything. The Axis were awesome, but I have just as much fun on the Eliminators.

The toughest part of having the 14" rack (or any 14" tuned mid-range) is it's a delicate tuning balance between that and the snare with sympathetic resonance. Snare batter tuned to low and rack tuned too high and they sing in unison. I used to have a similar issue with a 14" floor tom on my last (Starclassic) kit.

From that second pic I can see I have moved the toms over toward the ride a bit more with the 14 sitting a bit higher than in that pic. It's now somewhat centered over half the kick.
    Last edited by Rhythm Devil; 02-18-2011 at 01:23 PM.

3. Rhythm Devil

Quote Originally Posted by ResonantAscendancy View Post
    Just what the doctor ordered!!

Here are a couple pics I found of DrumLove's kit when I was still planning out what I wanted to order. After seeing these my mind was pretty much made up. Still the best representation of chestnut fade I've ever seen.
    I found that thread and here's a few more of Drumlove's kit with FINISHED HOOPS and the BB3 Tom Mount on the kick! Apparently this was also the very first MCX kit on the forum.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

4. Touch Too Much!

I never thought that you would change from Axis to Eliminators. I almost bought some Axis Long Boards because you liked them so much! Great new Picts!
    PEARL DRUMS
    MCX RED GLASS 22" X 18," 14" x 6.5", 10" X 8", 12" X 9", 14" x 11", 16" X 14", 18" x 16", and Sabians
    My Kit; http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/at...8&d=1290113760

MASTERS ARMY

5. Touch Too Much!

Did all of you guys post picts in the Masters Army? I saw a new one from The New Guy! Just one though! LOL!!!
    PEARL DRUMS
    MCX RED GLASS 22" X 18," 14" x 6.5", 10" X 8", 12" X 9", 14" x 11", 16" X 14", 18" x 16", and Sabians
    My Kit; http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/at...8&d=1290113760

MASTERS ARMY

6. I bang...

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewGuy View Post
    I found that thread and here's a few more of Drumlove's kit with FINISHED HOOPS and the BB3 Tom Mount on the kick! Apparently this was also the very first MCX kit on the forum.
    Absolutely true. It looks way better with the finished hoops too. Not really sure why Pearl would choose to go with "half" finished. Seems like a strange way to skim off the top if you ask me. You wouldn't finish half a tom to make them cheaper would you?? If I had to pick between virgin bass or finished hoops, I'd def go with the virgin though. Why can't we have BOTH!!

Anyway, I only posted a couple pics from his kit before because that shot of his tom outside is without a doubt the best pic of chestnut fade on the forum. He hasn't been on for a quite a bit though, so I suppose it wouldn't be right to leave out the original chestnut fader.

8x8, 10x10, 12x10, 14x12, 16x16, 18x16, 22x18 (X2), 14x5.5 matching snare, Remo Rotos 6", 8", 10"

CF ARMY GENERAL

7. I bang...

Quote Originally Posted by nova View Post
    Did all of you guys post picts in the Masters Army? I saw a new one from The New Guy! Just one though! LOL!!!
    If I'm gonna post in a thread of that magnitude I need some fresh pics!! Unfortunately my baby is all cased up for the time being. Might be a little bit before she sees the light of day again.

CF ARMY GENERAL

8. Registered User

Here is a few of mine....
    Pearl MCX Chesnut Fade: 8x7, 10x9, 12x10, 14x14, 16x16, 22x18.

9. I bang...

comfy set up man I like it. What's you reasoning behind inverting the order of the toms? Just mixing it up a little? Seen it many times before, but I always like to ask. Also REP for that tom on the left!

CF ARMY GENERAL

10. Registered User

I love this finish! It looks even more gorgeous under stage lights too!
    Daniel W.
    Romans 8

11. I bang...

Awesome guys keep em comin!!

d4h any review on that kickport? Is it worth the $50 if you're unmiced? I would need two obviously

CF ARMY GENERAL

12. Registered User

completely worth it, it's crazy how much of a difference it makes.
    Daniel W.
    Romans 8