Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 89 of 92 FirstFirst ... 39798586878889909192 LastLast
Results 1,057 to 1,068 of 1093
  1. th droids yerlookn4

    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    massachusetts
    Posts
    5,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mirkko DeMaio View Post
    Guys-
    Just got this beautiful Zildjian china prototype 20" (based on the K line), very thin trashy and complex-
    This cymbal has been selected by Mama's Music Store (my local store) team in the Zildjian factory, i'm so happy, it sounds beautiful!

    Attachment 512230

    Attachment 512231

    mirkko , its profile reminds me of the k series extra dry 18 ...minus the holes , and the dryness ..lol

  2. th droids yerlookn4

    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    massachusetts
    Posts
    5,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
    One man's treasure is another man's trash.

    There's no denying the Z Custom's are not the most "musical" of cymbals - the A Custom's are far more versatile for sure. However, the Z's are much better suited to what I want/need from a hi hat: they're lower pitched, which makes them less sharp and brash sounding than the A Custom's, and they're loud. Great for that semi-open sloshy/sizzle when you're pounding away at the double bass. The A Custom's were very articulate, there's no doubt about it, but when used like that I found they were too brash for my liking

    EDIT - I just noticed the hi hats in your picture are Dyno Beats, not the Z Custom's I just got. Different ball game. Dyno Beats are like dustbin lids - huge, powerful, stupidly loud, dustbin lids (that's trash can lids to our yonder-Atlantic friends). They're good for one thing and one thing only - beating the crap out of either semi-open of with the clutch dropped. And for that they're perfect. The other thing with Dyno's is there's good and bad ones. I've played three pairs - one belonged to a guy who's kit I was using at a gig, and they were perfect: if I could have bought them I'd have given him cash there and then. The second pair were the ones I ordered brand new very shortly after playing the first pair, and they sucked. Terrible. Just sounded dead and dull. The third pair are the ones I own, which I found tucked away at the back of the cymbal room of a drum shop I worked in at the turn of the century. They're superb - they're bright, alive, and have a "zing" to them - just like the first pair I fell in love with. I've had those for nearly 20 years now.

    I used to have them my main left side hats (you can see them here), but I can't say I advise doing so. I copied Lars, who still uses them as his now only-pair or hats (used to have two pairs) when playing live, and they still sound great for that. But any kind of articulate work, forget about it. That's kinda why I got the remote hi hat - I was so used to having the Dyno's on the left as main hats, I wanted to get more out of the New Beat's that had been relegated to the right side on a static closed-hat attachment, so I switched to a remote hi-hat set up so I could use it as a regular hi hat.
    oh man i miss my original dyno beats
    the new ones are not nearly as thick .. but do the job (sigh) the dynos of yor, though were just brutally loud. just shear, unadulterated, white noise when open..it was the sonic equivilent of feeling the burn .. then getting hooked that burn
    i used to have to use my 40s k bottom hat in the mix to subdue the sound for some gigs ..
    they were also great for unexpected things though ..like gospel or reggae ... cause they had a chic sound that could crack windshields .. lol

  3. Mirkko DeMaio

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    1,499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TMdrums View Post
    Looks great! Possible sound sample Mirkko?
    Since I've just changed something on my right side of the kit, I've done a quick story video on my instagram plaeyd that cymbal too, check it out

    https://www.instagram.com/mirkkodemaio
    Drummer for THE FLOWER KINGS & MIND KEY

    http://www.Facebook.com/MirkkoDeMaioFanPage

  4. Mirkko DeMaio

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    1,499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2 basses4life View Post
    mirkko , its profile reminds me of the k series extra dry 18 ...minus the holes , and the dryness ..lol
    you'r totally right-, it's actually very loud
    Drummer for THE FLOWER KINGS & MIND KEY

    http://www.Facebook.com/MirkkoDeMaioFanPage

  5. The Hardware Guy

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London-ish
    Posts
    14,445

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2 basses4life View Post
    oh man i miss my original dyno beats
    the new ones are not nearly as thick .. but do the job (sigh) the dynos of yor, though were just brutally loud. just shear, unadulterated, white noise when open..it was the sonic equivilent of feeling the burn .. then getting hooked that burn
    i used to have to use my 40s k bottom hat in the mix to subdue the sound for some gigs ..
    they were also great for unexpected things though ..like gospel or reggae ... cause they had a chic sound that could crack windshields .. lol
    I didn't know the new ones weren't as heavy. But you're right - the older ones (or at least, the ones I have) are spot on for loud, brash, no-apologies noise when played loose/open, and are the perfect compliment to thundering away on double bass. Ideally with a snare that will take your head off.

    They do have a great chic, but I found the problem with them, for that, is that they're so thick there's no flex in them, so they don't close up as nicely with the pedal as thinner hi hat cymbals. Which is probably why the A/Z and K/Z combo's worked so well - thinner top cymbal and flex on the bottom one better and close up nicer. I've had my Dyno's pairs with my New Beats in the past, worked very well. I'm going to try them with the Z Custom hats I just got, as the top and bottom on those are different weights, so I can try out different combo's amongst the three pairs (Dynos, Z Customs, New Beats)

    PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

  6. Registered User

    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Havelock, North Carolina
    Posts
    360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mirkko DeMaio View Post
    Since I've just changed something on my right side of the kit, I've done a quick story video on my instagram plaeyd that cymbal too, check it out

    https://www.instagram.com/mirkkodemaio
    Thanks for sharing! I think that China's a keeper! By the way, I checked out your "Graveheart" video on YouTube. Excellent drumming! Really enjoyed that!

  7. Mirkko DeMaio

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    1,499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TMdrums View Post
    Thanks for sharing! I think that China's a keeper! By the way, I checked out your "Graveheart" video on YouTube. Excellent drumming! Really enjoyed that!
    Thank you, that was a long time a go
    Drummer for THE FLOWER KINGS & MIND KEY

    http://www.Facebook.com/MirkkoDeMaioFanPage

  8. th droids yerlookn4

    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    massachusetts
    Posts
    5,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
    I didn't know the new ones weren't as heavy. But you're right - the older ones (or at least, the ones I have) are spot on for loud, brash, no-apologies noise when played loose/open, and are the perfect compliment to thundering away on double bass. Ideally with a snare that will take your head off.

    They do have a great chic, but I found the problem with them, for that, is that they're so thick there's no flex in them, so they don't close up as nicely with the pedal as thinner hi hat cymbals. Which is probably why the A/Z and K/Z combo's worked so well - thinner top cymbal and flex on the bottom one better and close up nicer. I've had my Dyno's pairs with my New Beats in the past, worked very well. I'm going to try them with the Z Custom hats I just got, as the top and bottom on those are different weights, so I can try out different combo's amongst the three pairs (Dynos, Z Customs, New Beats)
    actually when i mixed them up ...the z dynos were the top hats lol. putting a thinner bottom seemed to tame the beasts for me ...loli'm currently running dyno beat s on tops with a z custom master sound bottom ...im thinking about an a custom mastersound bottom next

  9. The Hardware Guy

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London-ish
    Posts
    14,445

    Default

    Interesting combo

    PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

  10. th droids yerlookn4

    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    massachusetts
    Posts
    5,616

    Default

    thanks i like the brashness of the dyno beats , but different types of music require a little more control , thats what im going for

  11. Playing since 1976

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,507

    Default Zildjian 20" A Custom Ping Ride Revived

    Chris from Drums on Sale strikes again! He resurrected this older, dirty A Custom Ping Ride. It shines like a mirror, and sounds heavenly. I'm ready to play Subdivisions now haha (I know Peart used a 22" Ping Ride, but this is pretty close).

    Name:  IMG_4349.JPG.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  69.2 KB

    Name:  IMG_4348.JPG.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  69.0 KB

    Name:  IMG_4350.JPG.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  45.8 KB
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE


  12. Registered User

    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Havelock, North Carolina
    Posts
    360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    Chris from Drums on Sale strikes again! He resurrected this older, dirty A Custom Ping Ride. It shines like a mirror, and sounds heavenly. I'm ready to play Subdivisions now haha (I know Peart used a 22" Ping Ride, but this is pretty close).

    Name:  IMG_4349.JPG.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  69.2 KB

    Name:  IMG_4348.JPG.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  69.0 KB

    Name:  IMG_4350.JPG.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  45.8 KB
    Wow, that looks excellent! Funny thing, in pursuit of a ride with more ping, I have become very interested in the A Custom Ping Ride and really like the sound. This may sound crazy, but like my other two rides, I really prefer the 21 inch diameters. To me, that size gives a little more then the 20 and the 1 inch smaller then the 22 gives me better cymbal placement on the kit. If Zildjian makes a 21" A Custom Ping Ride in the future, I'll be purchasing one. Regardless, great looking. Ride you have there Matt.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •