Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 87 of 87 FirstFirst ... 37778384858687
Results 1,033 to 1,042 of 1042
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    Do you know anyone near you with a lathe?
    Nope
    Pearl/Dixon/Paiste/LP/Remo/Pro-Mark 5ABN

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Brazenhawk View Post
    Sabian actually got a better end of the deal, because they got to keep the most qualified craftsmen out of that deal.
    The value of the Zildjian name is far and above the better end of the deal.

3. The Hardware Guy

New old Z's arrived today.

Originally wanted a pair of Dyno Beats waaaaaaaaay back in the day, but decided I didn't like the pair I got, so I was going to exchange them for a pair of these but actually ended up with a pair of New Beats instead. Found a pair of old (but new) Dyno's collecting dust in the back of the cymbal room in a shop I worked in some years later and they were perfect, so I snapped them up, but I never got a pair of these - until now. I've totally forgotten what they sound like, so it's a blind (well, deaf?) buy, so who knows. As Varg Vikerness loves to say - let's find out!

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

4. The Hardware Guy

Got the chance to give them a little play today - they're as good as I (barely) remember them, and instantly prefer them over the 13" A Custom Mastersound's they're replacing. In fact, so much so that I brought the Mastersound's home with me to clean and package up for selling; the short side-by-side today was enough. Nothing wrong with the A Custom's per say, but I just prefer lower/darker pitched cymbals I think, at least when it comes to hi hats at least. At 13", the Mastersound's are nice to slot into a kit and pull things in close around them but I prefer the 14" overall size (for sound) and the lower pitch of the Z Custom's easily puts them at a win over the A Custom's.

Currently I've got the Z's set up as main (left) hats, with my New Beat's on the remote hat over on the right. I might switch those out for the Dyno Beat's, just for old times sake, next time I'm playing.

PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”

5. More beer.

Where Hell froze over somewhere in Norway

Quote Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
    Got the chance to give them a little play today - they're as good as I (barely) remember them, and instantly prefer them over the 13" A Custom Mastersound's they're replacing. In fact, so much so that I brought the Mastersound's home with me to clean and package up for selling; the short side-by-side today was enough. Nothing wrong with the A Custom's per say, but I just prefer lower/darker pitched cymbals I think, at least when it comes to hi hats at least. At 13", the Mastersound's are nice to slot into a kit and pull things in close around them but I prefer the 14" overall size (for sound) and the lower pitch of the Z Custom's easily puts them at a win over the A Custom's.

Currently I've got the Z's set up as main (left) hats, with my New Beat's on the remote hat over on the right. I might switch those out for the Dyno Beat's, just for old times sake, next time I'm playing.
    I traded these for some AAX hats and I regretted it... my hats were way too heavy and "dead" sounding. Too bad I didn't capture a sound clip. Here's the only pic I have.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

6. The Hardware Guy

One man's treasure is another man's trash.

There's no denying the Z Custom's are not the most "musical" of cymbals - the A Custom's are far more versatile for sure. However, the Z's are much better suited to what I want/need from a hi hat: they're lower pitched, which makes them less sharp and brash sounding than the A Custom's, and they're loud. Great for that semi-open sloshy/sizzle when you're pounding away at the double bass. The A Custom's were very articulate, there's no doubt about it, but when used like that I found they were too brash for my liking

EDIT - I just noticed the hi hats in your picture are Dyno Beats, not the Z Custom's I just got. Different ball game. Dyno Beats are like dustbin lids - huge, powerful, stupidly loud, dustbin lids (that's trash can lids to our yonder-Atlantic friends). They're good for one thing and one thing only - beating the crap out of either semi-open of with the clutch dropped. And for that they're perfect. The other thing with Dyno's is there's good and bad ones. I've played three pairs - one belonged to a guy who's kit I was using at a gig, and they were perfect: if I could have bought them I'd have given him cash there and then. The second pair were the ones I ordered brand new very shortly after playing the first pair, and they sucked. Terrible. Just sounded dead and dull. The third pair are the ones I own, which I found tucked away at the back of the cymbal room of a drum shop I worked in at the turn of the century. They're superb - they're bright, alive, and have a "zing" to them - just like the first pair I fell in love with. I've had those for nearly 20 years now.

I used to have them my main left side hats (you can see them here), but I can't say I advise doing so. I copied Lars, who still uses them as his now only-pair or hats (used to have two pairs) when playing live, and they still sound great for that. But any kind of articulate work, forget about it. That's kinda why I got the remote hi hat - I was so used to having the Dyno's on the left as main hats, I wanted to get more out of the New Beat's that had been relegated to the right side on a static closed-hat attachment, so I switched to a remote hi-hat set up so I could use it as a regular hi hat.
    Last edited by Thrush; 12-10-2018 at 08:36 PM.

PICSPICS 2

7. More beer.

Where Hell froze over somewhere in Norway

Quote Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
    One man's treasure is another man's trash.

There's no denying the Z Custom's are not the most "musical" of cymbals - the A Custom's are far more versatile for sure. However, the Z's are much better suited to what I want/need from a hi hat: they're lower pitched, which makes them less sharp and brash sounding than the A Custom's, and they're loud. Great for that semi-open sloshy/sizzle when you're pounding away at the double bass. The A Custom's were very articulate, there's no doubt about it, but when used like that I found they were too brash for my liking

EDIT - I just noticed the hi hats in your picture are Dyno Beats, not the Z Custom's I just got. Different ball game. Dyno Beats are like dustbin lids - huge, powerful, stupidly loud, dustbin lids (that's trash can lids to our yonder-Atlantic friends). They're good for one thing and one thing only - beating the crap out of either semi-open of with the clutch dropped. And for that they're perfect. The other thing with Dyno's is there's good and bad ones. I've played three pairs - one belonged to a guy who's kit I was using at a gig, and they were perfect: if I could have bought them I'd have given him cash there and then. The second pair were the ones I ordered brand new very shortly after playing the first pair, and they sucked. Terrible. Just sounded dead and dull. The third pair are the ones I own, which I found tucked away at the back of the cymbal room of a drum shop I worked in at the turn of the century. They're superb - they're bright, alive, and have a "zing" to them - just like the first pair I fell in love with. I've had those for nearly 20 years now.

I used to have them my main left side hats (you can see them here), but I can't say I advise doing so. I copied Lars, who still uses them as his now only-pair or hats (used to have two pairs) when playing live, and they still sound great for that. But any kind of articulate work, forget about it. That's kinda why I got the remote hi hat - I was so used to having the Dyno's on the left as main hats, I wanted to get more out of the New Beat's that had been relegated to the right side on a static closed-hat attachment, so I switched to a remote hi-hat set up so I could use it as a regular hi hat.
    Nice post. If I remember correct, the dynos I had were really heavy and dark sounding.

I didn't notice that you had Z Customs either, thought it was dyno beats!

I guess there is a reason why Lars uses Sabian in the studio. I think Mario Duplantier plays the same hats both in studio and live, but if I remember correct they are 13".

8. The Hardware Guy

Quite surprised to have flipped the A Customs quite so quickly - put them up on eBay Monday night, sold Tuesday morning. Maybe I underpriced them (£165/$209), but I thought it was a fair price and they were very good condition. Nice result though as after all fees and shipping, still made more than the Z Custom's stood me in, so that's a result.

Itching to get the Dyno's up side by side with them now actually, be interesting to see how they contrast or blend. The plan for this CZX, one day, is to have a full complement of the older (1st gen) Z Custom cymbals on it; these hi hats, and the Dyno's as the aux/right side, Medium crashes (17 and 18 inch, two of each), the Custom Power ride (which has the same hex patterning as the Dyno's) and an 18" China and 12" splash. That that's a whole lot of looking and snagging!

PICSPICS 2

9. Registered User

That was a "good" price...for the buyer Thrush. I'd expect circa 2/3rds new price for those so £200 + postage. I bought 6 cymbals, mainly A customs, from a chap earlier this year with a similarly good deal, they were all about 55% of new price which I thought was a bargain, including a 14" pair of Mastersound hi-hats.
    Pearl Prestige Session Select SRX 1998 in black mist
    8-10-12-14-16F-18F-20BD 14x6.5" Masters Custom Maple Snare

10. The Hardware Guy

Got a chance to put my old Dyno Beat's up alongside the Z Custom's this afternoon - forgot just how much I love those Dyno's! Kind of a one trick pony, but they sound great smacking away at them with raging double bass! Higher in pitch than the Z Custom's, most likely due to the fact they're so thick (I know a guy that uses one on it's own on the left side of the kit to emulate a dual-ride set up, and it works great for that), but very similar in sound. Louder, and the Z's allow a little more definition when playing with two hands and the tip of the sticks. Might have to put them back on the kit as a permanent fixture.

PICSPICS 2