Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 157 of 158 FirstFirst ... 57107147153154155156157158 LastLast
Results 1,873 to 1,884 of 1885
  1. PDF Renaissance man!

Rather enjoyable show with a Phil Collins tribute last week, and doing it again for one more gig this week.

All a sight reading job really, but also an excuse to pull some of the old Premier Elite Concert tom kit out of storage - and to play some stupendous fills!

Birch/Beech shells, 6", 8", 10", 12", 16" FT, 22" BD, 14x5" 1963 Ludwig Acrolite.

Central bass drum port because you cannot get more 70's than that

For video evidence of 'That fill', see here https://www.instagram.com/p/CUE_sehA1Qy/

Name:  IMG_3058.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  76.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_3061.jpg
Size:  86.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_3053.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  74.3 KB
    More drums than you can shake a stick at...
    https://www.charliesmithdrummer.com

Also a Podcaster - Groovecast

2. Drumming Since 1943

You’re my hero, Charlie.
    Way Too Much Crap

3. FKA Tasty808

****ing awesome dude!

4. Registered Loser

Quote Originally Posted by RushDrums24 View Post
    For video evidence of 'That fill', see here https://www.instagram.com/p/CUE_sehA1Qy/
    The fill heard 'round the world.

5. Registered User

“Walking the talk”. Love those lugs!

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RushDrums24 View Post
    Rather enjoyable show with a Phil Collins tribute last week, and doing it again for one more gig this week.

All a sight reading job really, but also an excuse to pull some of the old Premier Elite Concert tom kit out of storage - and to play some stupendous fills!

Birch/Beech shells, 6", 8", 10", 12", 16" FT, 22" BD, 14x5" 1963 Ludwig Acrolite.

Central bass drum port because you cannot get more 70's than that

Name:  IMG_3058.jpg
Size:  76.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_3061.jpg
Size:  86.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_3053.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  74.3 KB
    Awesome Charlie! So happy to see your career in drumming is off to a wonderful start! Ironically, just saw a video of Nic Collins who lately is filling some big shoes covering his dad's drum chair with Genesis! What a talented young humble man! I love how his Gretsch kit is so similar to the one I saw Phil play in 1981-1982 in Hartford, Connecticut on the Abacab Tour. The only discrepancy I have with Nic is that his hi-hat is on the wrong side and his toms are going from left to right!

7. PDF Renaissance man!

Quote Originally Posted by TMdrums View Post
    Awesome Charlie! So happy to see your career in drumming is off to a wonderful start! Ironically, just saw a video of Nic Collins who lately is filling some big shoes covering his dad's drum chair with Genesis! What a talented young humble man! I love how his Gretsch kit is so similar to the one I saw Phil play in 1981-1982 in Hartford, Connecticut on the Abacab Tour. The only discrepancy I have with Nic is that his hi-hat is on the wrong side and his toms are going from left to right!
    Thanks TM! Yeah I've certainly had the busiest year on record which has been great, and still a lot more ahead before 2021 is out!

Yeah Genesis are sounding great with Nic in the chair, I'm heading out tonight to see them live in Newcastle which should be fun.

8. Drummer since 1963

I was hoping the 20" XSR Monarch was going to work out as a crash/ride but I guess it's not within the nature of the beast. The 22 to the left of it has taken 4 years for me to finally crown it my "go to" ride. I like it first for it's woody stick definition and because I can lay into it and it never gets too loud. Sometimes it can start to sound wonky to my ears later in the night but then when I listen back to the Zoom recording later and it slays me every time.
    I used to have an 18" El Sabor, a model I'm actually not crazy about, that was, to me, the ultimate crash/ride but it finally cracked. It was a trooper for many years and served me well. I knew if it ever broke it would be tough to replace. For awhile I used an 18" K Custom Dark Crash that was gifted to me. It's nice but doesn't kill me. I got a deal on an 18" Complex Thin Crash that is "the bomb"! Problem with that one is it's too much "the bomb". All you have to do is look at it and it opens up. Great cymbal but way too loud for where I'm headed with my sound. That position in my set up is really the last piece of the puzzle. Heading to Fork's right now and if nothing grabs me there it's off to Ash, GC, and maybe an independent or two. I hate shopping cymbals but this has gone on far too long. An 18" HH Vanguard might just be the answer. We shall see.

Last edited by Ron Gerber; 10-09-2021 at 09:22 AM.

9. PDF Renaissance man!

From one extreme to the other, big concert toms last week, to a train friendly kit for some folk/pop touring work this week with Martin Stephenson & the Daintees, including a belting show at the 100 club in London.

22" Arbiter Flats Pro Bass drum, 1963 Ludwig Acrolite, Zildjian cymbals, Tama Classic Hardware. A fine combination that packed neatly in 3 cases, and didn't break my back after 3 days of hauling it about around London and Brighton and in numerous trains and cabs. Lenny Kaye even hopped in for a tune (From the album he'd originally produced for Martin back in 1990), while on a night off before 2 gigs with Patti Smith at the Royal Albert Hall, that was a bit special for sure!

Name:  IMG_3230.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  64.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_3246.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  61.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_3233.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  51.8 KB
    Name:  244280834_5073852079298725_6831577525930696229_n.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  66.8 KB

10. Drumming Since 1943

Chuck, you continue to be my drumming hero.
    Way Too Much Crap

11. Drummer since 1963

With that 20" XSR Monarch gamble being a bust I went to Fork's Drum Closet, SA, & GC. Everybody's stock is down!
    I heard a used 18" HH Vanguard on one of the online shops that posts demos. It's a nice cymbal, very nice top end and is way easier to control than the 18" HHX Complex Thin Crash I've been using, but I just don't know. Listening back to the recording from last night the HH does kill, in places, just not all the time. I heard an 18" Byzance at SA the other day that I might have to reconsider. It isn't cheap and this HH looks brand new yet is $140+ off of a new one. It's like buying a used car with less than 5,000 miles on it but if isn't the right one there's no savings. It is pretty though.

Last edited by Ron Gerber; 10-09-2021 at 09:13 AM.

12. Drumming Since 1943

Just got the pads mounted back up from our last gig.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Way Too Much Crap