Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default MIDI Input for computer

Before I say anything I have used the search function and cant find anything that makes it simple to me.
    I want to sample a bass drop for breakdowns live and i have the sample ready.
    For a Midi input cable do i need the expensive $150 ones or could a get away with the $30 like this http://www.sixstardj.com/edumusbmiin.html
    I only want it for the one sample so i dont need anything complex.
    and how would I go about connecting the pad to the interface?
    Quote Originally Posted by barjack View Post
    Even poo can sparkle if you've recently eaten glitter.

2. This is just a tribute

Quote Originally Posted by WTAdrummer View Post
    Before I say anything I have used the search function and cant find anything that makes it simple to me.
    I want to sample a bass drop for breakdowns live and i have the sample ready.
    For a Midi input cable do i need the expensive $150 ones or could a get away with the $30 like this http://www.sixstardj.com/edumusbmiin.html
    I only want it for the one sample so i dont need anything complex.
    and how would I go about connecting the pad to the interface?
    Why not get a Midi controller like an M-Audio KeyRig 49? It would give you a lot of capability, is pretty much plug and play (USB) with most computer OS's and would be cheaper than $150.

http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfrien...ard?sku=700932

I have the M-Audio Keystation 61 es - I've had it for a couple of months and couldn't be happier with it - it was plug and play with my iMac and it allows me to use any sample that comes with Garage Band, which is actually a lot.
    Patrick G.

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems could be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." -- Anonymous

"Let's be honest... drummers don't have piles of money laying around, just piles of drums." -- Gord the Drummer

3. Registered User

well if hes playing drums its kind of hard to trigger using the keystation...I went to guitar center yesterday and bought an alesis performance pad (got it for 175, presidents weekend sale And im going to midi out it to my laptop and trigger the 50hz bass drop from that since it doesnt have a bass drop built into the performance pad

4. Registered User

You are going to need a pad, some type of trigger to midi interface (drum module or similar), and then an audio interface with midi I/O. You might be able to get away with the midi cable you linked to in your post, but if your sound card has too much latency there will be a lag, which is where the external sound card comes in.

J
    Starclassic Performer in Red Sparkle Fade
    Snares: Ludwig Black Beauty, Ludwig LM402 Supraphonic
    Pearl DC Signature Snare, Tama Starclassic Performer 5.5x14
    Pearl MCX 5.5x14 w/wood hoops, Pearl FF piccolo brass and maple
    Sabian and Paiste cymbals

5. This is just a tribute

Quote Originally Posted by slipkidxx View Post
    well if hes playing drums its kind of hard to trigger using the keystation...I went to guitar center yesterday and bought an alesis performance pad (got it for 175, presidents weekend sale And im going to midi out it to my laptop and trigger the 50hz bass drop from that since it doesnt have a bass drop built into the performance pad
    Ahhh - I misread the original poster - I was thinking it was so that he had a tool to use in a home studio rather than to trigger something on stage. Forget what I posted earlier.
    Patrick G.

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems could be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." -- Anonymous

"Let's be honest... drummers don't have piles of money laying around, just piles of drums." -- Gord the Drummer

6. Registered User

thanks for the help. i think i will end up going with one of the better MIDI systems. it just seems safer because I dont think anyone wants lag when playing.
    Quote Originally Posted by barjack View Post
    Even poo can sparkle if you've recently eaten glitter.