Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
  1. This is just a tribute

Quote Originally Posted by notsocoolguy View Post
    Regarding using the comp16 as your limiter... Which preset were you planning on using? You really want one with a HARD ratio... Upwards of 10:1... And a FAST, ideally instant attack time! Not sure what the presets are like, but that is something to be aware of before you drop some money on it!
    I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure it will work. I spoke with my bandleader about it (from the band where I play trumpet) and he said that this is what they use for our drummer. I'll just play with it until I get something that works and it will probably actually help things - my levels are better turned up right now so in theory it might give me a little more room to work with. Then again, I'm a noob and don't know much about using a compressor/limiter.
    Patrick G.

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems could be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." -- Anonymous

"Let's be honest... drummers don't have piles of money laying around, just piles of drums." -- Gord the Drummer

2. Noderator

Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure it will work. I spoke with my bandleader about it (from the band where I play trumpet) and he said that this is what they use for our drummer. I'll just play with it until I get something that works and it will probably actually help things - my levels are better turned up right now so in theory it might give me a little more room to work with. Then again, I'm a noob and don't know much about using a compressor/limiter.

Well... Ideally, with limiting, you want something which will stop sound going above a certain point HARD and FAST! You don't want it to let sound about a level even for milliseconds, as if the volume is high enough, that's all it takes to damage things!! The issue with using the presets as they come on that one is they probably don't have a fast enough attach, and a hard enough ratio to really do what you want it to, which is to protect your ears against spikes in volume. (Someone dropping a mic, or unexpected feedback and so on...)

I personally would go with a different unit for limiting an in ear mix for myself... Something which allowed me to adjust the settings to work for me! It's your hearing, so it's up to you to put a price on that! You may fine it works perfectly for you, but it's just my thoughts!
    2000+ posts club!!
    My Band: Papa Eden

My Kit
    Gretsch Drums
    Gibraltar Hardware
    Istanbul, Paiste, Anatolian Cymbals
    Pro-Mark Sticks
    Aquarian Heads

3. This is just a tribute

I agree - it's definitely worth looking into and doing some research into the capabilities of the product.

EDIT: I just got to digging around online and this is what I found for attack speed of the Presonus Comp16:

Attack Time
    0.01mSec to 100mSec, preset dependent

I think that would probably be fast enough to keep my ears from getting damaged. Even better news is that I could probably put this to good use in my home studio too.
    Last edited by trickg; 03-17-2010 at 07:39 PM.
    Patrick G.

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems could be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." -- Anonymous

"Let's be honest... drummers don't have piles of money laying around, just piles of drums." -- Gord the Drummer

4. Noderator

Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    I agree - it's definitely worth looking into and doing some research into the capabilities of the product.

EDIT: I just got to digging around online and this is what I found for attack speed of the Presonus Comp16:

Attack Time
    0.01mSec to 100mSec, preset dependent

I think that would probably be fast enough to keep my ears from getting damaged. Even better news is that I could probably put this to good use in my home studio too.

Your attack speed seems fine, but what ratios does it compress to? That will be the main issue with stopping the volume getting louder than a set level!
    2000+ posts club!!

My Kit
    Gretsch Drums
    Gibraltar Hardware
    Pro-Mark Sticks
    Aquarian Heads

5. I regret my username

On the Musicians Friend website it states that QUOTE:"It further simplifies compression and limiting by offering 16 preset compression curves with variable input and output." Which would mean they are giving you a hint of the ratio but this isn't enough info to make a desision from...

-Perry

6. This is just a tribute

I decided to go with a different piece, the FMR RNC (Really Nice Compressor)

http://www.amazon.com/FMR-RNC-Compre...9030409&sr=8-1

It's more money, but it's still small enough to go on my board and it gives me the ability to adjust everything. $40 more, but my ears are worth that.
    Patrick G.

7. I regret my username

Great choice Pat! Those ARE really nice!!!

-Perry

8. Noderator

And THAT is a quality unit your going with! Good choice man! Your ears will thank you when something does go horribly wrong!!
    2000+ posts club!!

My Kit
    Gretsch Drums
    Gibraltar Hardware
    Pro-Mark Sticks
    Aquarian Heads

9. This is just a tribute

Quote Originally Posted by notsocoolguy View Post
    And THAT is a quality unit your going with! Good choice man! Your ears will thank you when something does go horribly wrong!!
    The plus side is that the piece will be a nice addition to my home studio as well. Apparently this thing is the cat's meow for basic compressors and nothing south of about $2K can touch it. Supposedly.

I wasn't worried about my ears at all until that incident two weeks ago that showed me that they are in fact worth worrying about and that it was only going to be a matter of time before something came blasting through my monitor feed.

I'm proud of what I came up with for this rig and it's something that I can have and use for a long time. The church is slated to go to in-ears at some point (supposedly in August) and we're going to have Aviom personal mixers for that, but even if/when that happens, I'll have a solid rig I can use for my own side playing. It doesn't matter what kind of feed I get (line level or speaker level) as long as I can get some kind of feed from somewhere, I'm golden.
    Patrick G.

10. I regret my username

Pat I was thinking that even if your church is going to be using the Aviom Personal Mixers you should still use your board purely for your piece of mind... I know I probably would.Especially having a board like yours that is so versatile and perfect I would keep building that up so you can have everything set up perfectly everytime... Just my thoughts...

-Perry

11. This is just a tribute

Quote Originally Posted by K_KЯaMeR View Post
    Pat I was thinking that even if your church is going to be using the Aviom Personal Mixers you should still use your board purely for your piece of mind... I know I probably would.Especially having a board like yours that is so versatile and perfect I would keep building that up so you can have everything set up perfectly everytime... Just my thoughts...

-Perry
    I'll probably run the output of the Aviom into my board. I'm probably going to have to if I'm going to continue to use the Clickstation and run loops off of my iPod from the drum chair.
    Patrick G.

12. Registered User

Default here's my evolving rig

Hi, I've been following this thread and thought I'd share my situation. I'm a 40 year old weekend warrior drummer playing cover band 3-set gigs where there's NEVER any kind of drum monitor. I can hear the band fine, even with ear plugs, but I'm lacking the "feel" and attack of my drums. We normally mic kick/snare/hat, but I need to get in the habit of miking the toms as well.

This rig grew out of my curiosity with the Buttkicker units that touring guys use, and it makes a lot of sense to me. As a typical bar gig progresses, I find that I just can't feel my bass drum as the band gets louder. The bk allows me to feel the kick, much the way a subwoofer in a car allows you to "feel" the bass. Beyond the buttkicker, this rig is intended so I can hear ME, and to also send a sub-mix of the drums to the board. Currently I'm not playing to a click during gigs, but if I needed to, then I'd need an extra (small) mixer. I'm new to the whole "pro audio" thing and I've got much to learn about signals paths, compressors, limiters, all that stuff. Already I can see that I need a better mixer, but that will have to wait for a bit.

Included in the rack:
    Power conditioner
    Behringer MDX4600 Limiter/Compressor
    Peavey IPR 1600 amp

Mixer is an older Peavey RQ-200. I've been running the kick and 3 toms directly into the Limiter, then out to the mixer via line-ins. Snare and hat go straight into mixer. Kick/snare/hat panned panned and sent left main out, toms to the right. I'm open to suggestions, but can't spend much more money!

And since the topic is In Ear Monitoring, I'm using the Shure SCL3.
    Attached Images Attached Images