Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
  1. This is just a tribute

Figured I'd post an update - I got the ART HeadTap this week and I'm going to redo my IEM rack/board tonight. I haven't had a chance to try it yet though - that will come next week at rehearsal and the service. I did pick up a 25' length of speaker cable that I'll use, as well as a Speakon to 1/4" adapter so I can daisy chain off of any monitor/speaker system, whether it's 1/4" or speakon. I also have a 1/4" splitter - not sure if I'm going to need that or not.
    Patrick G.

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems could be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." -- Anonymous

"Let's be honest... drummers don't have piles of money laying around, just piles of drums." -- Gord the Drummer

2. I regret my username

Great Pat! What are you doing in terms of limiting the signal? Or are you just praying that nothing bad happens? LOL Be sure to post pics when you've redone the board! I'd love to see it!

-Perry

3. This is just a tribute

I changed some things around on the board tonight but I don't have pics yet. Regarding limiting the signal, it's not something I'm worried about. Nothing on my rig is turned up high so even if there is feedback from somewhere, I can't foresee that it would be loud enough to do anything damaging. The loudest thing in my ears is the click - I only want enough of the mix to hear what's going on outside of the click.

Let me see if I can drag out a camera and get some a pic or two of the new rig.
    Patrick G.

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems could be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." -- Anonymous

"Let's be honest... drummers don't have piles of money laying around, just piles of drums." -- Gord the Drummer

4. I regret my username

Great Pat! I can't wait to see it!

Did you just swap out the 502's for the HeadTap?

-Perry

5. This is just a tribute

Here's the latest version of the rig. I covered the backing board with some vinyl - I know, I did a crummy job, but it looks better than chip-board. If I ever do it again I'll know better what not to do, and hopefully it will be better. I also added some stainless cabinet pulls to make it easier to pick up and carry.

Quote Originally Posted by K_KЯaMeR View Post
    Great Pat! I can't wait to see it!

Did you just swap out the 502's for the HeadTap?

-Perry
    No, I kept the mixers because that allows me to roll up or down either low or high end, and at the end of the day, I'm still doing some kind of odd-ball signal routing, so I incorporated into what's already there.

So, it's pretty basic. The basic components and descriptions are thus:

Mixer 1: Beheringer XENYX 502 - Monitor in, iPod in (L & R) coming from Mixer 2 phones out, Clickstation in, and phones out to the Headphone amplifier

Mixer 2: Behringer XENYX 502 - iPod in, (L & R) stereo phones out, L out to main board

Yamaha Clickstation

iPod

ART HeadTap - this will get a monitor feed by running an out from the channel 4 monitor, which is the mix used by the drummer and bass player at church, and will feed to Mixer 1. I seem to have lost a patch cable, so I don't have that patched in the photo.

Livewire Solutions 4 channel headphone amplifier. This was purchased solely to allow anyone else who wants to hear what I hear to have an in-ears mix. Right now the only other person using it is a guitar player who is taking a 1/4" out and running it into a Shure wireless in-ears box.

I tried to arrange the stuff on the board in a way that made sense - particularly with the Clickstation. After reading online the specifications for the DC power supply, I rummaged around in a box where I have random power supplies and cables, and I managed to scrounge up one with the correct specs - removed the 9V battery, crossed my fingers, plugged it in, and it works. So, I moved the two mixers to where I could run the DC power jack to the back of the Clickstation, and I have a bit of room to adjust that because it's the only thing that I wanted to be able to remove so it's attached with industrial strength Velcro - everything else is zip tied with black zip ties.

So there it is - my IEM rig is done and I won't be changing anything for a while unless something breaks. Eventually I'd like to set it up so that everything is already plugged into a surge strip and all I have to do is plug it in once without having to worry about the power supplies for anything on the board.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Patrick G.

6. I regret my username

That set up is lovely Pat! Very well thought out and executed! Looks awesome! The only thing i would change is I would get some of those right angle adapters for the connectors on the mixer end of the set up to further tidy up the cables but thats just me! Other than my little nit pickings I think it is safe to say that is one super unique IEM rack! Great stuff Pat! Be sure to post how the first HeadTap rehursal goes! I'd love to hear the results!

-Perry

7. This is just a tribute

I'll have a rehearsal with it Thursday night - I'm not sure if we'll be doing anything that does a send to the main board or not (potential for that on two or three songs out of the 8 slated for rehearsal this week) but I'm really looking forward to checking out the HeadTap. That piece right now has become the focal point because it means that I'll have a direct line for monitoring finally rather than putting an SM57 on a floor wedge, which is pretty silly when you stop to think about it.

I agree regarding right angle connectors - that would be a major improvement, but I'm not sure GC stocked anything like that - I might be able to order them.

I'll let you know Thursday right after I come home from rehearsal.
    Patrick G.

8. I regret my username

Great! As for the conectors I know I can get them here from Tandy or **** Smith (the Australian version of Radioshack) so maybe try Radioshack if there is one close by... but GC would get ones of much higher quality a would expect...

-Perry

9. This is just a tribute

So, the ART HeadTap. Two words: buy it.

It did everything it was supposed to. I picked up a Hosa Speakon to 1/4 adapter and due to how things were set up tonight I ended up plugging directly into the back of the amplifier with the adapter, and ran it through my 25' length of 14 ga. speaker cable into the HeadTap, which was then patched to my mixer.

If I had any complaint it would be that the level knob doesn't seem to do much through middle range, but since I'm patched to the mixer, I could set the level there and I left the line straight up on the HeadTap. In short, it works as advertised, has no noise, and gave me the direct monitor feed through my IEM rack that I wanted. The sound was crisp and clean, and I was able to make minor adustments to the sound using the low/high EQ knobs on the 502. At $39 through Amazon.com, IMO it's a no-brainer, and it's passive so it doesn't even need a power supply.

I'm thinking about starting a thread about the ART HeadTap because it seems like it's the best little product that no one ever heard about. In it's simplest form, used on it's own without going through a mixer, it would still give drummers the ability to use in-ears and thus save their ears rather than blasting a floor wedge on top of the volume of their drums. Used like I'm using mine, and it's incoporatated into what I feel is a pretty solid, versatile IEM rig.
    Last edited by trickg; 03-04-2010 at 09:36 PM.
    Patrick G.

10. I regret my username

Any news on the limiter situation Pat? I've planning my rack lately and im just wondering what you've come up with... I was looking at going completly rack mounted and using Alesis 3620 Dual Channel compressor/limiter but im still planning :P

-Perry
    Last edited by K_KЯaMeR; 03-15-2010 at 03:43 AM.

11. This is just a tribute

Quote Originally Posted by K_KЯaMeR View Post
    Any news on the limiter situation Pat? I've planning my rack lately and im just wondering what you've come up with... I was looking at going completly rack mounted and using Alesis 3620 Dual Channel compressor/limiter but im still planning :P

-Perry
    Yeah - I'm going to drop a Presonus Comp16 into the chain somewhere. It's $129 new (might be able to find one on the bay used for less) but I think my ears are worth that. And it's small enough that I don't need a rack and I can add it right my board. I might have to rebuild my board - no sweat there - that won't take much time

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...sor?sku=184126

Patrick G.

12. Noderator

Regarding using the comp16 as your limiter... Which preset were you planning on using? You really want one with a HARD ratio... Upwards of 10:1... And a FAST, ideally instant attack time! Not sure what the presets are like, but that is something to be aware of before you drop some money on it!
    2000+ posts club!!
    My Band: Papa Eden

My Kit
    Gretsch Drums
    Gibraltar Hardware
    Istanbul, Paiste, Anatolian Cymbals
    Pro-Mark Sticks
    Aquarian Heads