Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
  1. Miles Gibbons

Quote Originally Posted by K_KЯaMeR View Post
    Miles, can you please explain the problems your guitarists belt pack? I'm looking to buy the P4HW Bodypack and I want to make sure I sort our all the 'bugs' before I spend all that money...
    The pack eats batteries like a mother, and cuts out completely sometimes.

I wonder if the threshold is something that I would want to adjust?
    My thoughts exactly. Once its at a safe level, I'd rather there not be any risk that the limiting would be negated or reduced.

2. I regret my username

Quote Originally Posted by MilesAway View Post
    The pack eats batteries like a mother, and cuts out completely sometimes.
    Thanks Miles! I doubt the hardwired model would cut out... and I don't mind changing batteries before each show... and also, wireless models will use much more battery than a hardwired model...

Did your guitarist mention anything about self-noise of the unit?

-Perry
    Last edited by K_KЯaMeR; 05-15-2010 at 01:45 AM.

3. Miles Gibbons

Quote Originally Posted by K_KЯaMeR View Post
    Did your guitarist mention anything about self-noise of the unit?
    No, but he is already half deaf so he wouldn't notice it anyway ha ha. I hear any IEM is suceptible to a certain amount of hum, but never enough to be audible while actually playing.

4. I regret my username

I have heard that aswell Miles but someone on the GC website reviewed the Shure P4HW and complained about the 'huge' amounts of selfnoise and returned the unit!

-Perry

5. I regret my username

Does anyone have any updates for the thread?

I am keeping my eye out for good deals on the Shure P4HW bodypack and I will probably snap that up pretty soon!

-Perry

6. Miles Gibbons

Yeah, actually ha ha...I gigged last night for the first time since I got the Rockbox Limiter and my M-Audio IE-10s. Everything was great!

I took a line from the daisy-chained wedges, because it was a small room and we were only monitoring 4 vocals and kick drum. None of the feedback made it through the limiter (which I didn't adjust at all from the factory setting). The sound was great, very natural and clear, and there was no hum at all. I'm very impressed with the Rockbox. The IE-10s aren't a monumental improvement sonically over my old Skull Candy ear buds, but they are better. Less bassy, much more natural and the highs are less shrill. They also block out much more stage volume, and are much more comfortable.

I'd highly recommend the Rockbox Limiter. It works great, is easy to use and portable, and the customer service\shipping time was great. I received friendly and helpful e-mail responses within a day. The IE-10s are great for the price, although I'd love to try some $400 earphones one day.

The entire setup for me is great. I can put my entire monitor "rig" in the accessory pocket of my stickbag. And it was cheap as hell. The Rockbox Limiter was $130, the in-ears were $79 Canadian and the Speaker Cable was like $10. I'm looking forward to this coming weekend, I have two gigs with a band that I sing way lot more BGs in.

7. I regret my username

Thats great Miles! Congrats man!

I am one step closer to my IEM rig! I've finally got the cash because I sold my double pedal that I havn't used in years!

So, fingers crossed I should have this rig verrrrryyy soon! I know I say that alot but who knows maybe I won't have to say it again!

-Perry

8. This is just a tribute

I did a gig this weekend where I didn't need to use ART HeadTap - I got a line level feed because in this particular case, all of the monitors and speakers were powered JBLs so there wasn't power amp to worry about. The only problem was that I still wanted to run the signal through my compressor/limiter and he was giving me a female end XLR - my compressor only takes 1/4"

The good news is that the guy doing sound had the correct adapter so I just unpluged the line from the HeadTap and ran the 1/4" line-level feed directly into the compressor.

The bad news is that I wish I had the RockBox - it's about 1/8th the size of my two pieces combined (the HeadTap and the compressor) and it would allow me to shrink down and simplify my board. I just don't think I need all of the functionality of the compressor. I suppose if I really wanted to, I could sell it and divert the cash toward getting a RockBox, but I know that the quality level of the FMR compressor is pretty high, so I'll probably just leave well enough alone for now and make sure that I have the proper adapters for the next time.
    Last edited by trickg; 06-01-2010 at 09:10 PM.
    Patrick G.

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems could be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." -- Anonymous

"Let's be honest... drummers don't have piles of money laying around, just piles of drums." -- Gord the Drummer

9. Registered User

Default update/planned updates

Hello again,
    This is an informative thread! My rig began as I felt the need to sub-mix my drums since the main board didn't pay much attention to them. I'm just doing weekend cover band gigs and we run our own sound. It was a case of sending mic lines for the snare, kick, and hats to the board, establish a level, and done. But my system adds compression, gates, reverb, and overall limiting to the drum mix.

However I'm at the point where I need to monitor the band vox, keys, etc. My new Peavey mixer allows me to monitor a click or Ipod, but I plan to add the following;

1. Head tap or Rockbox
    2. secondary basic mixer like Pat has.
    3. Maybe another rack mount 2 channel compressor/limiter to allow for more mics, or to add limiting to the feed from the main board monitor channel.
    4. cables which I probably already have. And a small piece of wood to mount 1 and 2.

So far this system adds just 1 extra piece for the load in/out; the rack mount case. I used to carry mics and cables in a backpack, but have since purchased a soft mixer case that fits extra items. The system needs to be tight! Any thoughts? Oh, and I'm still with Shure in-ears, that perform well
    Attached Images Attached Images  

10. Miles Gibbons

K_Kramer... Good luck with the setup, let us know when you grab one, and how it works out for you.

trickg... Do you think you could get any money for the Headtap? If so, you could sell it and use the cash for a Rockbox. Not sure how much the Headtap goes for.

clevelanddrum... A tight setup is what its all about for me too. I can't see myself running a big setup. I don't want to keep track of tons of gear, and spend all night setting tons of gear up. I want a quick and easy setup, a quick and easy soundcheck and then I want to chill, collect my head and warm up.

11. This is just a tribute

The HeadTap can be had for $40-$50, so used I suppose I could only get $25-$30 for it - not enough to get the RockBox. The FMR RNC compressor goes for quite a bit more though - roughly $200 new, so that would probably fetch enough, but either way it's a money-losing proposition.
    Patrick G.

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems could be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." -- Anonymous

"Let's be honest... drummers don't have piles of money laying around, just piles of drums." -- Gord the Drummer

12. Drum Abuser

I should be getting my rockbox sometime next week. I already have a headtap, but just the fact that the rockbox has a built in limiter totally justifies me buying one. It saved me from purchasing a wireless system just for that function alone. Anyways, I'll post my rig ASAP once I receive it next week