Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Registered User

What about Tamas new Praetorian Bell Brass? Cast or not?
    I already own a 14x6 Bronze, but I'm thinking about buying a used Praetorian...
    I've always LOVED Tama Bell Brass. Especially Brad Wilk's sound, both in Rage Against The Machine and Audioslave.

2. Obsessed...

Quote Originally Posted by uhove View Post
    What about Tamas new Praetorian Bell Brass? Cast or not?
    I already own a 14x6 Bronze, but I'm thinking about buying a used Praetorian...
    I've always LOVED Tama Bell Brass. Especially Brad Wilk's sound, both in Rage Against The Machine and Audioslave.
    I've never played the Praetorian bell brass, but the older Tama bell brass snares sound great. They are really ringy though. Even better than those are the Ocheltree Spirit of 2002 Paiste snare, at least to my ears. Can't say I've ever heard the Sonor bell bronze snare drum though, I'm sure 14x8 of cast bronze sounds epic!
    Knock it back
    Have another one
    Drinking and drumming is so much fun...

My kit

3. Registered User

but what is difference in sound of pre2003 snare and after 2003 snares... one si cast other is rolled, but again both are 3mm thick, and should sound very simmilar to each other... there cant be much difference right?

4. Registered User

anyone?

5. Registered User

My local store had one of the newer rolled DW Bronze snares. It is 1mm thick not 3 and does not sound as good as a Cast Bronze. DW stated that some 2004 models are Cast and mine is one of those.

They are not MASSIVELY different, I just preferred the sound of mine.
    SONOR, ZILDJIAN, REMO, PRO MARK, Favourite Drummers: Matt Cameron, Nicko McBrain, Mikkey Dee

1. Iron Maiden
    2. Pearl Jam
    3. Rush
    4. Motorhead
    5. Black Sabbath

6. Purple Crazed

Nice!!!

Pearl Purple Craze Reference Series
    10x8 | 12x9 | 13x9 | 14x11 | 16x13 | 22x18
    Pearl 14x5 Wine Red Maple and Copper Free Floating Snares
    Pearl 10x6.2 Mangini Signature Snare
    Tama Octobans

7. a.k.a. YtseJam

I never knew that DW made 13/7 cast bronze drums, this is beyond awesome. Congratulations, this is a hell of a find!

8. Registered User

Great find, that thing has to cut like crazy!
    My Kits-

Reference 4pc Setup

Reference Kit-

My Homebuilt kit..

Want to trade my 22x18 Granite Sparkle Bass drum for 20x18 Granite Sparkle. Hit me up :D

9. a.k.a. YtseJam

I never thought I would ever say this, but if you ever decide to part with it, please let me know. A 13/7 cast bronze is kind of my holy grail, as much as I hate DW.

10. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by hipodilski View Post
    I never thought I would ever say this, but if you ever decide to part with it, please let me know. A 13/7 cast bronze is kind of my holy grail, as much as I hate DW.
    You're a hop, skip, and a jump away from Vukan in Serbia... why don't you just contact him on Facebook, and tell him exactly what you want in a cast bronze snare? His lugs are stainless steel, and he can make cast bronze hoops for you as well. If I get another one from Oriollo, I might go for the patina look on the shell and hoops... something different than my current one. I suggest you don't go too thick with the shell... the thinner the better. Mine is 3mm.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

11. a.k.a. YtseJam

Yeah, I talked to him several times and he gave me a very good quote for a 13/7 shell, but I haven't been able to source suitable hardware yet. My plan is to make a direct Tama SLP copy with their tube lugs, strainer, butt, and diecasts.

To be honest, I'm not really a fan of his lugs and hardware, so I don't want to get a completed snare.

On the other hand, I'm obsessed with 13/7 snares and this DW is so rare that I would definitely like to have it if the opportunity ever arises.

12. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by hipodilski View Post
    Yeah, I talked to him several times and he gave me a very good quote for a 13/7 shell, but I haven't been able to source suitable hardware yet. My plan is to make a direct Tama SLP copy with their tube lugs, strainer, butt, and diecasts.

To be honest, I'm not really a fan of his lugs and hardware, so I don't want to get a completed snare.

On the other hand, I'm obsessed with 13/7 snares and this DW is so rare that I would definitely like to have it if the opportunity ever arises.
    The SLP route is a good one. On the shell, would you ask for a chemical patina, or just let it be natural?
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE