Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Fappity Fap Fap

Default Multiple broken lugs on my Reference Snare :(

Ok, so I bought a new head for my reference snare the other day and was putting it on today. I notice that two of my lugs have cracked, and a few others have weird warping/pre-cracking to them, all in the same spot.

I have had this snare for a few years now and it has never left my basement or my hands for that matter. I tune it the same I always have which is tight, but not to the point of choking the drum at all. It has NEVER been dropped, bumped, or abused.

When changing the head I was shocked beyond belief. I find it hard to imagine even if I was using a drill to tighten this drum that the metal would fatigue and crack. Especially on a drum of this quality.

I don't know what to do and I am really upset right now. I have been playing drums for many years now and have always taken utmost care of my stuff. To see this happen to my "baby" just really sucks.

I will try contacting Pearl but I really don't know what will happen. What would replacement lugs cost? I doubt they are ANYTHING but cheap.

Attached Images Attached Images    

2. Is this Illidan?

That's quite terrible. Could be a design flaw, pm Al Percival and Gene Okamoto to see what they recommend/think about it. I'm sure you'll be taken care of.

3. Fappity Fap Fap

I am currently tearing apart the entire drum and now notice the same "distortion" on the reso side of the lugs. This not not just a batter side issue. It seems like something was wrong with these lugs when they were made and just took me this long to finally figure it out. The reso side on my Ref is much lower tension then my batter side.

4. Registered User

Wow, I own 11 different Reference drums and fortunately haven't experienced anything similar. Wonder if there was just a bad lot of lugs but if that were the case, you'd think that others would have reported similar problems. Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

5. Fappity Fap Fap

Contacted Massmusic about replacing these under warranty and awaiting their call back. I luckily found my receipts and whatnot and should get this replaced no problem. HOPEFULLY.

6. Registered User

Keep us posted. I have never seen or heard of anything like that.
    Pearl Reference Drums - Paiste - Evans - Vater

22x20x2 18x16 16x16 12x9 10x8 14x6

7. Fappity Fap Fap

In the process of having them replaced under warranty... Will keep updated.

8. Registered User

That's good to know!
    Pearl Reference Drums - Paiste - Evans - Vater

22x20x2 18x16 16x16 12x9 10x8 14x6

9. Defined by no one.

Please let us know what Pearl's analysis is on this. I think we would all appreciate any info as well as if we all should be on the look out for certain years of production or anything out of the norm.

10. Pearl Corporation USA

Quote Originally Posted by invertalon View Post
    In the process of having them replaced under warranty... Will keep updated.
    Steven, Gene passed me your e-mail. We'll get you a complete set of replacement BRL65 lugs out to you, sorry for the inconvenience.

KISS uses Gibson guitars and PEARL drums because they want the Best!

11. Finally with DD

Quote Originally Posted by AL PERCIVAL View Post
    Steven, Gene passed me your e-mail. We'll get you a complete set of replacement BRL65 lugs out to you, sorry for the inconvenience.
    Is this a one off, or should the rest of us Reference owners look out for this to happen?
    I mean, it would be nice to know, if it was just a bad badge of lugs, or if it's a design flaw on them?(Not that I think or belive so.)
    Pearl Reference in Ivory Pearl w. gold hardware

My past to present kits

Quote Originally Posted by GhostXNote
    You dont calculate somones skill level by forum posts. You calculate how much of there life is wasted on an internet forum.

12. Pearl Corporation USA

Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    Is this a one off, or should the rest of us Reference owners look out for this to happen?
    Slow down on the mass hysteria...

He had two broken lugs and a few that the plating wasn't finished on. It seems to be an isolated incident. We've had very few reports of Reference lug problems. As always we back our product so I wouldn't worry. Steven will receive a complete set of warranty replacement lugs.

KISS uses Gibson guitars and PEARL drums because they want the Best!