Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Experienced drummers please read

I play in a room that seats 450, I currently have an ELX with coated G2s and clear G1s, my question is, in order to get a good sound out of my drums from the audiance stand point, should I be getting that timpany sound from behind my kit, is that normal, your thoughts and advice would be great . Thanks

2. Registered User

It is always important to consider that your drums sound different to the audience than they do to you from behind the kit.

With my experience it doesn't necessarily mean a "timpani" type sound... I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this.

What I have found is that I usually have to tune the toms higher than I think they should be. Everyone wants to hear that low thud out of there toms which is pretty much totally wrong in my experiences... unless you are being mic'd... if you have this thud going, you won't hear crap out of your toms in the audience, and they will sound all muddy.

If you tune them up a little higher and get a clear and disctinct tone out of them with a nice good clear pitch. That will transcend out to the audience.

Also, don't muffle up the drums. Only muffle a tiny bit as to take out any real annoying overtones. Let the drums ring, this will allow them to project out to the audience, by the time the sound gets to them, it won't be as ringing and it will be a focused sound to them.

Lastly, tune up your toms the way you think they should sound and then have someone else sit at your kit and play your drumset. doesn't matter the talent level, could be a non drummer. Go out into the audience area and listen to what your toms sound like and then make adjustments as needed.

Hope this helps, these are the things I think about when working with my kit and going into a new venue as well.
    U.S. Army Bands - Serving the Nation through Music

I'm trying to drink away the the part of the day that I cannot sleep away - Modest Mouse

3. Drumtech extraordinaire

i found the best is to tune the kit the way u like it when sitting behind and THEN tuning the drums alittle higher then u usually would this will get u the sound u r looking for
    DRUMBOO
    Bootally Yours
    Check out some of my websites!
    www.drumboo.com
    www.eric-singer.de

WANT A CUSTOM LOGO ON YOUR DRUMHEAD??
    www.DRUMSIGNS.com

4. Children eat free

Originally posted by DRUMBOO
    i found the best is to tune the kit the way u like it when sitting behind and THEN tuning the drums alittle higher then u usually would this will get u the sound u r looking for

this works for me also. Monday mentioned something about how his toms sounded too open to him, but from the audience standpoint they sounded beautiful. This happens with drums. I usually tune them a little higher than usual, and then go into the audience and have a friend hit the drums a bit for me so I can hear how they sound and make any modifications afterwards. Having mic's makes all this void, as whatever sound you hear is what the audience hears (for the most part, assuming you aren't EQing)

5. used user

If you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right.

Originally posted by Ambion
    Having mic's makes all this void, as whatever sound you hear is what the audience hears (for the most part, assuming you aren't EQing)
    Correct. If you're micing the kit, you can use an overhead and place it above and behind the kit. Hence, what Ambion said.

As far as tuning a little higher than normal, I myself did not know that. I will apply that technique when gigging without mics.