Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 22

Thread: My Guitar Gear

  1. PDF FF Champion 2014

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    La Tierra
    Posts
    15,594

    Default My Guitar Gear

    So I'm leaving for the summer and I just thought it'd be nice to share some of my guitar gear with the PDF now that I have accumulated a fair amount.

    Guitars:
    Fender Standard Stratocaster (Made in Mexico)
    Peavey 5-string Grind BXP Bass
    Taylor 110e Acoustic

    Pedals: (L to R)
    Boss DD-20 Giga-Delay
    Boss OD-20 Drive Zone
    Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner
    Boss FS-5U (I don't have a cable for this yet, but it's the tap tempo for the GigaDelay)

    Amps:
    Line 6 Spider II 30W
    Crate BT50 50W

    I'm really happy with the gear I have right now, especially the pedals, and once my officiating job comes back in the fall, I'll be saving for a nice tube amp. I'm just learning bass so I'm not really concerned with getting super awesome bass gear yet.

    I primarily use Ernie Ball Slinkys (been really happy with the last two sets I put on) on the electric, Elixir's on the Acoustic, and just some D'Addario's I picked up for my bass. I also have an eBow, Monster Cables, and gigbags/cases for my guitars.

    Any questions/comments? Feel free to share your guitar gear as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

  2. I <3 Ludwigs.

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Lubbock, TX
    Posts
    12,587

    Default

    Nice stuff, Kerry!
    I know a lot of guys with MiM Strats and Teles and they're often just as good as the US built ones.
    When you get back to L-town you should go by Wally's Guitar Garage. He's got a nice selection of vintage tube amps. Gibsons and Rickenbackers and such.

  3. Yamahore

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Milton Keynes/Durham, UK
    Posts
    8,563

    Default

    What do you think of the eBow? do you use it much

    On a completely unrelated matter, where are you going for the summer?

  4. PDF FF Champion 2014

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    La Tierra
    Posts
    15,594

    Default

    Here's some more shots of the guitars.

    I really love my Mexican Strat. It plays great, and for a single coil, it can almost hang with some of those humbucking shredder guitars (with the help of my Overdrive/Distortion pedal). Its clean tone is the real prize though, man, it sounds sweet. Maybe I'll get a Telecaster next (although I think a hollowbody would be what I really want).

    Quote Originally Posted by fezzasus
    What do you think of the eBow? do you use it much

    On a completely unrelated matter, where are you going for the summer?
    I got it for my 16th birthday from a friend who knew I was getting a guitar. I just tinker around with it, I'm really not great with it, but it's cool to have.
    I'm going to Spain for study abroad until August.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

  5. Yamahore

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Milton Keynes/Durham, UK
    Posts
    8,563

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Talon View Post
    Maybe I'll get a Telecaster next (although I think a hollowbody would be what I really want).
    I like the utilitarian look of teles, but a hollowbody (especially one with humbuckers) would give much more variation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Talon View Post
    I got it for my 16th birthday from a friend who knew I was getting a guitar. I just tinker around with it, I'm really not great with it, but it's cool to have.
    I'm going to Spain for study abroad until August.
    Hmm. I've been trying to decide between a real bow and ebow after binging on Sigur Ros while revising and if it's something that is only used now and then i'd probably go for the cheapest.

    That's a summer placement right? What will you be doing

    Also, if you're after a decent tube amp, not much beats the marshall 18 watt - I've recently finished building a clone (pics in profile) and youtube should give you a good idea of what they sound like. these people do a good complete version http://www.ceriatone.com/productSubP...8wComplete.htm (probably better than the actual marshall one - the marshall reproductions have a history of OT failure)
    Last edited by fezzasus; 05-20-2009 at 04:07 PM.

  6. Registered User

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    8,412

    Default

    Whoa Kerry, beautiful gear. I especially love your acoustic and bass. I can’t wait to find the money and up-date my guitars.

  7. PDF FF Champion 2014

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    La Tierra
    Posts
    15,594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fezzasus View Post
    I like the utilitarian look of teles, but a hollowbody (especially one with humbuckers) would give much more variation.
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well. There is plenty of time ahead to think about it and consider the options as I want to get a tube amp first. Chief/Matt has me looking at Fender Hot Rod Deluxes, but I'll try a few out first (obviously).

    Hmm. I've been trying to decide between a real bow and ebow after binging on Sigur Ros while revising and if it's something that is only used now and then i'd probably go for the cheapest.

    That's a summer placement right? What will you be doing
    I think a real bow would be better. I actually have a little violin bow, but I have no rosin so it doesn't work very well. I am going to try to find a cello bow for cheap, I think it would be easier (and it's what Jonsí suggests). The problem with the eBow is you can't switch strings very well unless you're extremely skilled with it and it doesn't really give me the ethereal sound like its name suggests. It's more of a synth creation device.

    I'm taking Thermodynamics I, Statics/Mechanics I, World Religion and Philosophy, and Art Appreciation while I'm abroad. 12 hours this summer, it's a full semester essentially. I'm taking them with professors from my university in English, it's just having the opportunity to go abroad since engineers rarely get to do so.

  8. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Attleboro, MA
    Posts
    4,025

    Default

    Nice gear!

    Taylor acoustics are great. I've been playing for about 7 years, when I get myself a nice expensive acoustic I'm going with either Taylor or Takamine.
    Beating 'em, and beating 'em up!

  9. is a robot

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    the north side.
    Posts
    5,723

    Default

    dont smashing pumpkins use taylor guitars?
    vater : pearl : meinl : evans

    my youtube

    pearl masters brp
    latest pics: p9
    white marine pearl
    20x18
    14x14
    12x8


    WWW.ONE.ORG

  10. Yamahore

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Milton Keynes/Durham, UK
    Posts
    8,563

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Talon View Post
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well. There is plenty of time ahead to think about it and consider the options as I want to get a tube amp first. Chief/Matt has me looking at Fender Hot Rod Deluxes, but I'll try a few out first (obviously).
    your amp choice might decide what guitar you get, it's a horrible generalisation but i've always found that single coil guitars sound great through fender amps and humbuckers best through marshalls - might just be the type of music I listen to though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Talon View Post
    I think a real bow would be better. I actually have a little violin bow, but I have no rosin so it doesn't work very well. I am going to try to find a cello bow for cheap, I think it would be easier (and it's what Jonsí suggests). The problem with the eBow is you can't switch strings very well unless you're extremely skilled with it and it doesn't really give me the ethereal sound like its name suggests. It's more of a synth creation device.
    I think you'd have the same problem playing with a real bow - the flat bridge of most guitars pretty much limits you to playing the high e, low e or all of the strings.. Come to think of it, my rickenbacker has a rounded bridge. Time to get experimenting.

    Quote Originally Posted by Talon View Post
    I'm taking Thermodynamics I, Statics/Mechanics I, World Religion and Philosophy, and Art Appreciation while I'm abroad. 12 hours this summer, it's a full semester essentially. I'm taking them with professors from my university in English, it's just having the opportunity to go abroad since engineers rarely get to do so.
    I would have liked to do something similar, but my french isn't good enough to warrant going to france and getting funding to go to america is a nightmare. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

  11. PDF FF Champion 2014

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    La Tierra
    Posts
    15,594

    Default

    If you do get a bow, be sure to cover your pickups with saran wrap or something because the rosin will get in them and mess them up (from what I've read on guitar forums). A rounded bridge would be nice, I know Jonsí uses that Gibson so maybe I can try one out sometime. I'm partial to Fenders though, I just love them. I was jamming with some friends a few weeks ago and everyone had Fenders (Strats to J-basses); I felt like we could've been in a Fender photoshoot.

    The only reason I am able to do this is my Presidential scholarship has an additional clause that gives you money to study abroad, so it's almost cutting the price in half. Otherwise I'd just be working in my hometown all summer. It's going to be fun and I have a lot of stuff planned, especially practicing my Spanish.

  12. Yamahore

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Milton Keynes/Durham, UK
    Posts
    8,563

    Default

    From the little sigur ros I can play, all the bow work seems to be on the high e only so he probably doesn't have a rounded bridge - none of the les pauls i've played have (but i've also read that jimmy page had a rounded bridge made for him to play with a bow, so i guess there are some out there).

    gah, i don't know what to make of all this. I guess i'll have to just jump in and experiment (will certainly cover my picks though - the price or waiting list of rickenbacker parts doesn't really appeal to me)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •