Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Coated Emperor Review...

In my other thread I stated that I really liked Coated Emperor's on my VSX. After playing them for several weeks I have to say I am not impressed anymore. I do not like them.

I chose them because of their supposed warmer and more durable qualities, but I have found neither. They are overly resonant and have this annoying hum to them. Maybe because I tune lower than most drummers? I don't know...I tried to fix this by using toilet paper and duct tape on the heads to kill some of those overtones. That just completely killed nearly all of the resonance and I have not been able to find a happy medium.

I don't find these heads to have much attack or brightness either. The VSX has the 6/8 birch/basswood shell combo, which is suppose to make them punchy and project more. Coated Emperor's negate all of these qualities. I tried to remedy this when I put on Super Hoop II's yesterday, hoping it would make them sound better. Didn't really notice a difference, except they were easier to tune and the heads seated better. Keep in mind I have Optimounts in addition to the Super Hoop II's.

In addition to the sound, the durability is just not there. After having them for nearly 3 weeks the coating is already starting to come off and the heads are starting to dent, particularly on the 12".

All in all I am not impressed with these heads. They suck. As a matter of fact I would equate their sound to someone saying the word "duh" in a normal tone of voice. I don't think I care too much for coated heads in general though, at least on the VSX. I think clear heads sound best on them, and will probably go back to EC2's because I like that "Aaron Harris" type sound.

Emperor's and Ambassador's sound great on my D-Dubs. I can't say the same for cheaper kits like the VSX(don't mean cheap in a bad way either, I love my VSX )

If anyone wants to point me in the right direction on my next set of heads feel free. The video below is the sound I want. The drums being played are Tama Superstars, which are pretty close in equivalency to the Visions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm7PnUvqyAs

2. Registered User

I hear that on the coating!

Evans Coated G2 all the way! The Remo coating just doesnt last and I have a subjectively better sound from my old G2's then with my current Emps on the toms.

3. 7926

I would think you need to go with the clear EC2s then. That's what he's playing in the video, and I can't imagine a coated head sounding much like that. If a two-ply coated head has too much resonance for you, about the only way to go is to get a head with a muffle ring in it, or change the resonant heads.

I'm a little confused as to why you say that you don't think it has "warmer" qualities, but then you later say that they don't have much attack or brightness. These seem like opposites to me anyway, I don't think you would get warm (Remo's description of the coated Emperor), and bright (Remo's description of the clear Diplomat) at the same time.

4. Registered User

Not to doubt you or anything, but it sounds like a tuning problem to me. I had Coated Emporers on my old VLX and they sounded great. And if heads are denting after 3 weeks, that's all you. I had those Coated Emporers on there for almost a year and they were still going strong.

5. Hi There

Quote Originally Posted by The Dorian
    Not to doubt you or anything, but it sounds like a tuning problem to me. I had Coated Emporers on my old VLX and they sounded great. And if heads are denting after 3 weeks, that's all you. I had those Coated Emporers on there for almost a year and they were still going strong.
    i totally agree. i have a superstar kit and ive used coated emps in the past and i do agree with you the coating does not last long, but you shouldnt be denting heads (especially two ply heads) in general. sounds like you need to work on tuning a bit. if you want a more dead sounding drum, id just use the ec2 for your toms. throw on a piece of gaffer tape and you wont get much sound ( or overtones out of it).

although i dont think you should be keeping your tom batter heads for over a year lol im sure they are way over due for a change.

but for the thread starter, if you are interested evans coating does last ALOT longer then remo coating.

6. Drum-Bum

I agree about the coating issue, but the rest I do not.

I've got coated emperors on my Export, and they sound great. They have attack, they're not overly resonant, and none are dented.

I usually keep my drumheads on for months, and they have never become dented.

They work really well for me, it's a shame they don't for you.

7. Hi There

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewsarchus
    I agree about the coating issue, but the rest I do not.

I've got coated emperors on my Export, and they sound great. They have attack, they're not overly resonant, and none are dented.

I usually keep my drumheads on for months, and they have never become dented.

They work really well for me, it's a shame they don't for you.
    i agree ive used clear and coated emps, and g2's and they have ALL lasted on my kit at least 3-4 months (i usually swap them out after) and not a single dent. i think you gotta loosen up your grip.

8. 7926

Regarding the denting, he said that he tuned lower than many other drummers. If a head is loose, it will dent quite easily.

9. Registered User

ive heard about coating issues (flaking off) from so many people, and even seen it with my eyes regarding remo heads in general. But every remo head ive owned ive never had a problem with the coating at all. Minus my snare but thats understandable cause it gets used the most

10. The Fight Revisited.

thanks for the valued input. If I ever get the luxury of owning a kit again, maybe I will jump straight onto the EC2 band wagon. Everybody that has tried them has loved them, especially since I like lower tunings as well.

On the other hand, I'm totally digging ISIS these days. I love the sound he got from the Superstars.
    Last edited by Genius Switch; 05-08-2009 at 10:55 AM.
    Current kit - Pearl VBX Ruby Fade Outdoors
    All my previous kits - Here