Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 13 to 24 of 24
  1. Beater of the Wooden Cylinders

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurika, Inc.
    Posts
    1,085

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by c00kiee
    Would people who like muffled snare drums be defeating the purpose if they applied that snare to this stand?
    Yes, pretty much would be silly I'd say.



    Quote Originally Posted by Ehrin
    Seriously, why do people have to freak out when someone gives a bad review of a piece of equipment they like? Grow up! If you consider yourself to be in any way professional you should be able to accept other people's opinions without having to defend everything that you use.
    Well first, I didn't freak out.

    Second, I consider myself at 47 to be plenty grown up.

    Third, I didn't feel I needed to defend what I use, because I'll use anything that works for me and don't care what others think.

    I did think however that the real facts about the Air Ride weren't being put forward here, or that some issues were being overstated in a negative way. So I related what I know about it from my own actual experience in using it. If someone else doesn't like a piece of gear for whatever reason, that's fine with me, but I don't like to see anything given an unfair or inaccurate "review".

  2. I <3 Ludwigs.

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Lubbock, TX
    Posts
    12,577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FiliptheNickel
    Basically a RIMS-style mount attached to a snare drum stand. Cool concept but not very practical.

    You have to get a new mount if you want to use a smaller snare and like any suspension mount it'll shake when you really whack it.

    If you're looking for a stand to accommodate a deep snare, there are specially designed stands out there for deep snares and/or low-sitting players (Pearl S1000D is one example) that still adhere to the traditional basket design.
    Tama's suspension mounts are nothing like RIMS mounts. Mainly because they are firmly attached to the rims, not dangling from the tension rods.
    Therefore it doesn't shake when you whack it, unlike RIMS.

  3. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erwinner
    Tama's suspension mounts are nothing like RIMS mounts. Mainly because they are firmly attached to the rims, not dangling from the tension rods.
    Therefore it doesn't shake when you whack it, unlike RIMS.
    Something must have been off then. Would a RIMS style mount fit on the Air Ride's arm? I didn't pay any attention to suspension mount itself, the stand was part of a backline kit I played.
    Pearl Masters Custom MCX - 24x18 | 22x18 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 13x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 18x16
    1970s Gretsch USA - 22x14 | 12x8 | 13x9 | 16x16
    1960s Rogers Holiday - 20x14 | 13x9 | 16x16

  4. PDF Thread Killer Supreme

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    3,045

    Default

    I have the Air Ride stand and love it! I always despised the traditional basket because it muffles the sound and just gets in the way. Really, a basket would be better with four arms, not three...as far as positioning it between the lugs evenly. I've never had any issues with not being able to fit the stand and snare where I need it, nor have I noticed any excess bounce. The sheer weight of my snare (7.25"x13" birdseye maple stave) may or may not have play a role in that.

    All in all, I've got no problems recommending the Air Ride stand to anyone.
    Dutch: What happened to him?
    Vic: He came at me. He was unarmed. I took him down old school.
    Dutch: Old as in medieval?

    The Shield

  5. PDF Thread Killer Supreme

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    3,045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FiliptheNickel
    If you're looking for a stand to accommodate a deep snare, there are specially designed stands out there for deep snares and/or low-sitting players (Pearl S1000D is one example) that still adhere to the traditional basket design.
    All Air Ride stands accomodate depths up to 8". I don't think most people would even care for a deeper snare, and if they did, it probably would be better mounted on a traditional tripod stand. As far as low-sitting players, the current version can mount low or high/normal heights.
    Dutch: What happened to him?
    Vic: He came at me. He was unarmed. I took him down old school.
    Dutch: Old as in medieval?

    The Shield

  6. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoovey
    All Air Ride stands accomodate depths up to 8". I don't think most people would even care for a deeper snare, and if they did, it probably would be better mounted on a traditional tripod stand. As far as low-sitting players, the current version can mount low or high/normal heights.
    I'm aware, I was pointing out that there are conventional stands that can do that too.
    Pearl Masters Custom MCX - 24x18 | 22x18 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 13x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 18x16
    1970s Gretsch USA - 22x14 | 12x8 | 13x9 | 16x16
    1960s Rogers Holiday - 20x14 | 13x9 | 16x16

  7. Banned

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    R
    Posts
    984

    Default

    they look purty. i wants me ones

  8. Registered User

    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    3

    Default

    How would one go about fitting/using a Toc Torres snare with the Air ride stand?,
    Would it (snare) have to be altered in anyway?,
    I've NOT used one,
    BUT had one for the purpose of using my then Sleishman snare with it,
    But couldn't get it to work .

  9. FKA Tasty808

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Phoenix AZ
    Posts
    2,863

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie/ozziePearl View Post
    How would one go about fitting/using a Toc Torres snare with the Air ride stand?, Would it (snare) have to be altered in anyway?, I've NOT used one, BUT had one for the purpose of using my then Sleishman snare with it, But couldn't get it to work .
    If you wanted to use it without modifying your snare, you would need the version that has the three clamps. If you don't have the clamps, you need the appropriate rim with the three extra holes to accommodate the rubber gaskets. The only issue with the rim is that Tama's "satin" finish is very different than Pearl's.

    Also, post a pic of your stand if you want help so we can see what the issue is.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

  10. Playing since 1976

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Conover View Post
    If you wanted to use it without modifying your snare, you would need the version that has the three clamps. If you don't have the clamps, you need the appropriate rim with the three extra holes to accommodate the rubber gaskets. The only issue with the rim is that Tama's "satin" finish is very different than Pearl's.

    Also, post a pic of your stand if you want help so we can see what the issue is.
    I'm almost sure that the old Tama hoop grips are not compatible with diecast hoops. They were designed to be used with Tama's standard 1.6mm steel triple flange hoops.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE


  11. FKA Tasty808

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Phoenix AZ
    Posts
    2,863

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    I'm almost sure that the old Tama hoop grips are not compatible with diecast hoops. They were designed to be used with Tama's standard 1.6mm steel triple flange hoops.
    I didn't realize you can't read any of the text on that ad...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  12. Playing since 1976

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Conover View Post
    I didn't realize you can't read any of the text on that ad...
    I can read it now... I see it says diecast or flange hoops... I never saw the hoop grips attached to diecast hoops... interesting.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •