Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Audition one month away, advice?

http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...t=audition.flv
    I have one month until my audition to get into my university's performance program. I tried last year, failed miserably, and I've been paying for lessons on the side, and getting my act together. I took this video today after I'd snuck in to the rehearsal room; it is by no means polished I know, but any advice would be appreciated.

P.S this post also proves I do other things with my life than make wiener jokes in chit chat.

2. Registered User

What tune was that? I liked it. As far as advice... I think you only hit one accidental in that piece, and audition judges aren't going to be impressed by a song in the key of C unless it's something technically challenging. Your timing was excellent with the click, I thought, so I think you'll do fine without it at the audition. I would've favored more dynamics, especially your highs. The piece seemed somewhat one dimensional in that aspect though, so you can take that with a grain of salt. How's your 4 mallet? Personally, mine is crap because I haven't practiced it much. I don't know if your school requires it or not though.

But I can tell you've put in a lot of work and it shows very well. Just keep working, and choose an audition piece that's challenging but fun and shows many different aspects of music.

3. Registered User

Funny, i played the same piece for my entrance audition, along with a Peters Timpani piece, Cirone Snare Etude, and Major and minor scales

Dynamics need to be huge, and if your professor is anything like mine, the big arm movements at the end of the phrases, high stick heights, and little dynamics would be an issue. I think you'll be fine though as it shows capable 2 mallet technique. As mentioned before, play any four mallet?

Where are you applying?

4. Rogue Ex-Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Narwhal De La Guerre
    [url]P.S this post also proves I do other things with my life than make wiener jokes in chit chat.
    I was starting to wonder...
    My One-Of-A-Kind Masters Premium BRP in #197: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=216550

Pearl - Ludwig - Zildjian - Sabian - Remo - Evans - Vic Firth

5. Rogue Ex-Mod

I would do something 4 mallet, even if it's very simple. Your tempo was solid on that video, you stuck with the beat pretty well. I would just milk that piece for all it's worth with dynamics. That will work for 2 mallet but again, if you want to impress somebody you should do something 4 mallets.
    My One-Of-A-Kind Masters Premium BRP in #197: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=216550

6. Ignore me!

No offense, but...really? You are playing music that most 6th graders can easily accomplish. Unless the school has specifically requested that tune for audition I would really get to work on 4 mallet something. Mitchell Peters Sea Refractions maybe?

Ok, back to the actual question. In the music you have two ascending scale passages. Both times you play very near the node (where the string passes through the bar) with a fair amount of force which brings out all of the enharmonic overtones. It makes the two pitches sound out of tune. Either play on the very end of the bar or more toward the center of the bar to get a more in-tune sound. Listen carefully to the :50 second and the :48 second marks.

Dynamics! More. Play both louder and softer to make a greater contrast. All of your etude sounds mp-mf to me, and should really be more alive. Explore the p and f more fully. You need the audition panel to understand that you completely master the musical ideas contained within the dynamics.

When you go from the roll to the 16th notes be certain that all of the 16th notes remain in time and speak with a balanced sound. Don't hesitate. (:30-:29)

I know the tune is "easy" but, how about some phrasing? For instance, try singing the tune. You will notice that naturally at the end of a phrase you take a breath. Try to make your phrases fit. It will be more musical.
    Last edited by Marimba6; 02-27-2009 at 01:39 PM.
    "I don't give advice. Professionals don't need it and amatuers won't listen." - Vida Chenoweth

7. Registered User

woah, awesome feedback from everyone.

For those wondering this IS the recommended piece for the university, I don't know much four mallet but friends here have stated that that's basically the 1st thing they start you on, and you aren't expected to do it at the audition... My timpani and snare pieces are a tad more difficult than the recommended ones, and have a bit more contrast and such...

Phrasing/dynamics is something I still seem to be having trouble with, I'm not as confident on mallet percussion as I am on others so I tend to hold back a bit...

Keep it coming.

8. Ignore me!

Ok. Cool. I'm glad that you understood that I really wasn't trying to be an ***, but actually offer some constructive criticism. If it's their choice of music then that's what you should do.

Also, as a side note, many schools will have you sight-read mallet music at about the same level as the piece you are performing during your audition. Please also remember to spend about 10 minutes a day sight-reading short etudes between now and your audition. You will be glad you did.
    "I don't give advice. Professionals don't need it and amatuers won't listen." - Vida Chenoweth

9. Registered User

I actually disagree with Marimba 6 in a sense. I think it's more important to play a 2-mallet piece down very well, than a 4-mallet piece just okay that you learned a month before the audition. You most likely will not be able to get correct technique down for any of the grips in time. I'd much rather see a 2-mallet piece that's excellent than a 4-mallet piece with horrible technique. Everyone knows how hard it is to break habits.

I do, however, agree that a 4-mallet piece would be preferred. Depending on the competitiveness of the spot within the studio, i think you'll be okay for mallets if you make it great. As i, and other stated, work on phrasings and dynamics especially. A 6th grader could play the piece, but it's your duty to make it so they can't. Anyone can hit the correct notes, but it takes a musician to make it actual music, and music that's interesting. It's perhaps not about playing it with a click, but more of a fluctuation in tempo at certain spots to show expression. For instance, on the descending line, perhaps you could have a slight ritard. The issue with doing this is that you have to make it sound intentional and not just that you're unintentionally loosing clicks. If it's a live audition, they may ask you to play it both ways.

10. Rogue Ex-Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Marimba6
    Ok. Cool. I'm glad that you understood that I really wasn't trying to be an ***, but actually offer some constructive criticism. If it's their choice of music then that's what you should do.

Also, as a side note, many schools will have you sight-read mallet music at about the same level as the piece you are performing during your audition. Please also remember to spend about 10 minutes a day sight-reading short etudes between now and your audition. You will be glad you did.
    This is excellent advice. Sight reading is one of the best things you can do to improve. Even if it's just for a few minutes or on an easy piece, do some EVERY DAY!!!

11. Registered User

I played this at my audition for college. It sounded very accurate but as said before you were hitting the nodes on the accidental notes. If I remember correctly, there are repeat sections so practice them as well. Then ask the judges if you should take the repeats or not. It wasn't bad though!
    and whatever you do
    someone's done it first
    though it's sad but true
    this is just another verse

12. Ignore me!

Well, let us know how it goes.