Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default '70's or '80's Pearl Fiberglass Set Sounds Terrible

Hello, I'm new to the forum and to drums. I just purchased my first drumset, a used Pearl fiberglass set for $275. I've showed these pictures to several other forums and they believe it's a 70's or 80's Pearl set with concert toms. It came with a Ludwig Suprasonic snare (which sounds great, even to my untrained ear). Pics: http://s363.photobucket.com/albums/o...%20Drum%20Set/. The set itself is the dullest sounding drum set I've ever heard. I could almost literally get a better sound by hitting empty coke cans. Before I bought it, I attributed this to the fact that the guy who sold it let his kids play it and the tension rods were so loose, I could screw them with my fingers. Here's a link to a recording of me hitting the toms: http://www.themusichutch.com/listen.php?songid=48565. Note that the 12 in tom sounds a lot like a snare in recording. Obviously, they're poorly tuned (if tuned at all) and they need new heads.

Will these toms ever sound decent?

Any information on 1) the drum set itself (i.e., the series, year, etc.) and 2) how to make it sound better other than the obvious getting new heads and properly tuning it would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks so much.

2. I <3 Miss Pearl

What drumheads are on the kit

3. Tama Artist

Put some CS (blackdots) on it and it will sound great.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

4. Registered User

Remo pin stripes...I think.

5. I <3 Miss Pearl

Well obviously switch out the heads. First of all they are old and knackered, second they are pinstripes which are designed to sound dead.

6. Is this Illidan?

That kit has the 80's style badge on it, they look like they may be the solid fiberglass shell instead of the hybrid wood/fiberglass shell that was also available. The kit itself has a vintage sound to it, not necessarily dull, but more warm without a ton of attack.

I use Hydro's on mine, they give it a nice warm boomy tone which complements the shells nicely, you could also try coated ambs/G1s. too. I think a thinner head would sound a bit better on those as you don't have the ability to put on resonant heads... so the remo dots would probably be a good choice.

7. Pearl does it for me

I would be winding those internal dampers off the heads straight up to see if the tom sound opened up a bit too. If they are up tight the toms will sound quite choked.
    And a more modern kick head from Evans or Remo for a batter (like at least an EQ3) and perhaps a ported reso...