Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Practice

Default Mallet collection.

Hey guys, I thought I would try and get this place going a little so I figured I would ask about what everyone has in ther timpani mallet collections.

Mine
    Payson: Soft. Vic Firth: T1, T2, T4, T5. Tim Genis: Gen 3, Gen 7. Cloyd Duff #1's. Black Swamp DG7's.
    Augustana College student.

"Jazz is not dead it just smells funny"-Frank Zappa

2. Registered User

T1, T2, T3, T4, T5, T6

3. Ignore me!

Full sets of:
    Black Swamp Bamboo
    Tim Genis
    Grover Artist's Choice Bamboo
    Black Swamp Carbon Fiber
    Innovative Percussion Concert Series
    Pro Mark Bamboo
    "I don't give advice. Professionals don't need it and amatuers won't listen." - Vida Chenoweth

4. Rogue Ex-Mod

Quote Originally Posted by DrummerEH
    Hey guys, I thought I would try and get this place going a little so I figured I would ask about what everyone has in ther timpani mallet collections.

Mine
    Payson: Soft. Vic Firth: T1, T2, T4, T5. Tim Genis: Gen 3, Gen 7. Cloyd Duff #1's. Black Swamp DG7's.
    Nice! That's a pretty good mix.
    My One-Of-A-Kind Masters Premium BRP in #197: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=216550

Pearl - Ludwig - Zildjian - Sabian - Remo - Evans - Vic Firth

5. Rogue Ex-Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Marimba6
    Full sets of:
    Black Swamp Bamboo
    Tim Genis
    Grover Artist's Choice Bamboo
    Black Swamp Carbon Fiber
    Innovative Percussion Concert Series
    Pro Mark Bamboo
    You're lucky to have a full set of the Black Swamp Bamboo mallets. Those won't be coming back any time soon if at all. What do you think of the new Carbon Fiber mallets?
    My One-Of-A-Kind Masters Premium BRP in #197: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=216550

6. Drum Ninja

I've got some T1, T2, T3, T4, and T6s in my bag as well as some bamboo handled mallets, I think from Cleaveland or maybe Grover. I don't play timp too often so I just have them in case something happens and I have to sit in.
    RBH Monarch Drums in Merlot Sparkle
    RBH Westwood Drums in Green Sparkle

7. Ignore me!

Ok, had a rehearsal with the CF mallets...Great feel! Needs a little more down stroke because of the lightness, but overall a nice focused tone.
    "I don't give advice. Professionals don't need it and amatuers won't listen." - Vida Chenoweth

8. Rogue Ex-Mod

^Yeah, when I played with them at PASIC they were REALLY light. Thanks for the review on these!

9. Brick Tamland

Just the standard General from Vic Firth...

The school allows me to use them for Percussion Ensamble since we beat up our stuff in that, and I play Timpini there. So I have some soft, general and then wood mallets. Not sure on the models, all I know is that they are all Vic Firth.

Don't really need mallets since I'm in the higher of the 2 concert bands here we are allowed to use the school's mallets for that as well..so my need for mallets is low.
    I love when my cymbals talk dirty to me.
    Tama Swingstar
    My Ocean Sparkle Kit
    My Ebay
    Currently After: 8x7, 16x13, & 20x18 MMX Ocean Sparkle w/ Satin Hardware - Please PM if you found some!!

10. Ignore me!

Just FYI, the new IP Bamboo timpani mallets are now available. Check Steve Weiss.

11. Drum Ninja

Never trust someone else's judgement when it comes to what you like to play with. Just because your school has a certain type of mallet doesn't mean they're good. Also, once you get on to college or higher, you shouldn't expect that your mallets will be provided nor should you expect for them to just tell you what you should use. (though some schools do, that's what happens when a percussion instructor gets some form of educator endorsement and becomes completely closed minded about what the player needs in order to try and sell them on the product they endorse. Sorry, didn't mean to rant...) If you have the option, try some different mallets. Some prefer bamboo handles, some hickory. Some people like light mallets some like heavy. Not every mallet will fit every player. I'm a very light player so I find it hard to get a good rich tone with bamboo at anything more than a MP. I've met other guys who hit so hard they can barely play MP with the lightest mallet they could find. I guess I'm just trying to say, you should decide what's best for you and not just assume because somebody else (your school, favorite drummer, best friend, etc...) is using it that it is good.

Quote Originally Posted by THSdrummer
    Just the standard General from Vic Firth...

The school allows me to use them for Percussion Ensamble since we beat up our stuff in that, and I play Timpini there. So I have some soft, general and then wood mallets. Not sure on the models, all I know is that they are all Vic Firth.

Don't really need mallets since I'm in the higher of the 2 concert bands here we are allowed to use the school's mallets for that as well..so my need for mallets is low.
    RBH Monarch Drums in Merlot Sparkle
    RBH Westwood Drums in Green Sparkle

12. Registered User

I generally use Black Swamp Carbon Fiber Mallets (Staccato, All-Purpose and Cartwheel) along with these cool cherry wood fluffy vic-firths and general vic-firth medium-hard mallets : D I love them all!!!