Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. peace & love

Default Three Peice Mapex-Paiste RUDES

This kit has been with me forever now it seems. It is an old school mapex Mars Pro, which was the old version of todays Pro M, only with much thicker shells. I picked it up for $100 at a GC as a shell pack and then got a matching snare on the bay for $75. It was trashed all to hell but still sounded great. I've gigged this thing everywhere, gone thru several sets of heads, and have driven it to all ends-but it still kicks. I've had nicer kits, more expensive kits, prettier sets and better sounding drums but theres nothing like my Pex'z. I put this zebra fabric over the original raggity fade, it was all scratched up and looked like hell anyways. For the $4 it cost me it can't be beat.

heres a artsy pic outside it took a few months back, with my other love (car) in the background.

And this is how it sits in my practice space.

Specs-
    14x6.5 Ludwig Blackrolite
    22x16 Kick
    16x16 Floor
    14 RUDE SE
    22 RUDE Ride/Crash
    7 Sabian ALU Bell
    Pearl/Mapex Hardware

Soon to come will be a new heads and china, I haven't decided between the 20" RUDE or the 20" RUDE Novo.

Notes-
    I play a bit of everything, with no main focus really. I really love ska though.
    I hit hard.
    I use 2b Promark Naturals. They feel wonderful and get my point across.
    I tilt my snare away from me to get my rimshots more consistant. Yes I rimshot, alot.
    No double bass for me, thanks. I do have an active and heavy right foot with really quick doubles. I've never bothered with a DB pedal, and by the time I have I was faster on a single than I could play on a double anyways.
    NO MUFFLING!!!
    I tune the tom for the most resonance, snare for best crack, and the bass for the thickest punch.
    I use the ALU bell mainly just for small accents and for slowly building up my left hand dominance, lol.
    I <3 my RUDE's immensely and don't care how much you hated your friends

Thanks for looking at the set, lemme know how it sucks. I'll have plenty more pics and maybe vids in the future.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. Registered User

Very Nice d00d!
    I have also been playing a 3 piece.
    Very Fun Stuff!

3. Registered User

Very cool. Is that Blackrolite 14X6.5? Please tell me about it.. I've been toying with the thought of picking up an acro for cheap...

4. STARCLASSIC MAPLE

nice zebra kit.
    where do you live ? what kind of construction materials are in that house coz I always see it in movies and dont know what is it.. is it wood ?
    THE STRONGEST NAME IN DRUMS

5. Rockin' The Suburbs

haha that is soo legit.

6. peace & love

Yeah man, its a 14x6.5. I like it, its really warm and poppy. Seems to like higher tunings and a poppier sound. That could just be my head choice though (right now, a Emp X). Me and it are kinda on non-speaking terms right now, I'm trying to get a real cracky sound with alot of presence and it just won't cooperate, I think I need new heads. Like I said, its really warm and I'm looking for a more bright, aggressive sound at the moment. You can't really go wrong, alot of people swear by acros and they seem to be real cheap. They have a real versitile, controlled sound to them as well with the right heads.

I picked that one up for $35 in a local pawn shop that specializes in music, it was missing almost everything, so i got some new heads, hoops and rods and I was ready to rock. Score for me, its better than the stock Mars Pro snare, which is a decent snare but chokes at higher tunings.

7. Registered User

Thanks. It's definitely that Emp X head. Acros seem to like classic Remo coated Ambassador heads. It will be much more lively than the Emp-X and doesn't need to be tuned as high to sound great and will definitely have more crack and brightness and also sensetivity.

8. peace & love

Thats what I've been thinking. Besides, that X is pretty old. I think my next head for it will be a Ambassador/G1 or maybe a PC Rev Dot/Controlled sound.

9. Registered User

i couldnt imagine playin a kit with 1 tom, i have 4 toms, but if thats what you like.
    PDP MX- SABIAN HHX, XS20, PAISTE SIGNATURE CYMBALS -EVANS HEADS- VATER

10. peace & love

Quote Originally Posted by drums32
    i couldnt imagine playin a kit with 1 tom, i have 4 toms, but if thats what you like.
    Depends on how you play, bro. I'd imagine you and me play alot differently. I used to play a 6-7 peice, my style just changed. I've always been a 4 peice player but I found myself getting a little generic. Now I have to think more, and I feel my music is better with it. Its not for every style.

11. Groove.

Sweet kit. Looks fun!!

12. Registered User

I love that wrap..