Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

• Home
  1. Registered User

Default I have been falling in love with timpani lately

I am staying in at lunch in the band room to work on playing them, but all the music we have in band is too easy.
    What are some exercises or things I should work on? Others practice in band practice at lunch, so ear training is a no-no, but pedaling technique, moving around, sticking exercising, technique, etc. are all good.

2. No Drum on Shabbas!!

I forget the composer... perhaps "Bizet"... but a movement from the "Sampson Et Deliah" symphony has a huge rolling military style tympani solo. I played it in Symphony before. It's awesome.

DESPERATELY SEEKING A MHX BASS DRUM WITH A BB-3 TOM MOUNT IN WINE RED

3. No Drum on Shabbas!!

also Dvorak's "New World Symphony" has some of my all-time favorite tympani parts. The 4th movement is epic. Also one of my all time favorite classical pieces.

DESPERATELY SEEKING A MHX BASS DRUM WITH A BB-3 TOM MOUNT IN WINE RED

4. Registered User

Thanks. Is that they way everyone learns, just be learning solos and songs? Or do they work on specific technique things like on set (four way independence, moving around, etc.) along with songs/solos?

5. Curmudgeon

There are several good Timpani method books available ( John Beck, Raynor Carroll, Fred Hinger, Saul Goodman, Friese & LePak, etc.) as well as books of excerpts from orchestral literature. You might well consult Steve Weiss Music http://www.steveweissmusic.com/ as they are one of the better sources for things of that sort.
    "Amateurs practice till they get it right. Professionals practice till they can't get it wrong."

Support the artists, buy music.

Member:
    Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
    American Federation of Musicians
    Percussive Arts Society
    Vic Firth Education Team