Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Cymbal Whore

Default Tama and Pearls "thin" shells

HOw can PEarl and Tama consider a 7 MM thick shell "thin" when you look at DW or even what is offered from Keller?

DW drums are around 3 ply... less tham 3MM...THATS thin.

Keller 5 ply is 3.3 MM

6 ply is 4 MM

8 ply is 5.4 MM

10 ply is 6.7 MM

Pearl considers a thin shell 5MM...medium shell 7.5 MM and thick shell 10 and 12.5 MM.

TAma is along the same lines.

If they're also considering durability in the shell over the long term when deciding on shell thickness then the sound isn't really the #1 concern.

2. Registered User

HOw can PEarl and Tama consider a 7 MM thick shell "thin" when you look at DW or even what is offered from Keller?
    Following your question, you state:

Pearl considers a thin shell 5MM...medium shell 7.5 MM and thick shell 10 and 12.5 MM.

TAma is along the same lines.
    This contradicts your original question.

3. Registered User

You've obviously never seen a Tama Starclassic Performer shell.

4. Hi There

ive always wondered this too. i do know that tama and pearl plies are thicker then keller plies so a 10 ply keller is the equivalent of a 6 ply pearl or tama probably.

5. SUPREME MODULATOR

Okay...this is simple...Tama and Pearl have for their own reasons...decided that their definition of "thin" is thin enough to yield the performance and durability they want from a "thin" shell.

Don't assume thinner is better. A drum can indeed be too thin.

6. Assist in the Escape

Quote Originally Posted by Six-Ply
    From what I understand, here's the thickness of the maple plies:

Pearl = 1.25 mm
    Tama = 0.83 mm
    DW = 0.71 mm
    Keller = 0.67 mm

Meaning the drums have this thickness:

Pearl (4-ply w/ 4-ply rings) = 5mm w/ 5mm rings
    Tama (6-ply) = 5mm
    DW (7-ply w/ 3-ply rings) = 5mm w/ 2mm rings
    Keller (6-ply) = 4mm

BUT

When you cross-laminate plies in making a drum shell, you place the strongest part of the ply (the grain) against the weakest part of the other ply. Because wood is roughly 25 times stronger with the grain, you're going to get a MUCH stiffer shell with more plies than you would with simply a thick shell. And a stiffer shell means less vibration and a higher pitch. This is the theory behind the DW VLT shells.

I built a kit with 8-ply 5.4mm Keller shells expecting them to be very low in pitch, but they were actually higher in pitch than Starclassics and DW's of similar sizes. When I thumped the shells comparing 8-ply and 10-ply shells of similar sizes, the 10-ply was nearly a fifth higher (2.5 steps).

What I learned from the experience is that it is the stiffness of the shell and not the thickness that is most important.

Anyways, if I were to build again, I would use 6-ply Keller shells on the toms, 8-ply on the kick, and 10-ply on the snare. I would also go with the Starclassic maples, Pearl MMX shells, and DW Collectors as I like the lower pitched shells.

7. SUPREME MODULATOR

then the sound isn't really the #1 concern.
    And no...sound is never the primary concern when making a drum. Sound is subjective, and the quality or perceived quality of that sound, can be manipulated though an effective marketing campaign.

When developing a new shell or material, makers look at cost, available resources, consumer demand, projected returns, and how that new design will fit in with their current line up and marketing strategy.

8. STARCLASSIC MAPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jarick
    From what I understand, here's the thickness of the maple plies:

Pearl = 1.25 mm
    Tama = 0.83 mm
    DW = 0.71 mm
    Keller = 0.67 mm

Meaning the drums have this thickness:

Pearl (4-ply w/ 4-ply rings) = 5mm w/ 5mm rings
    Tama (6-ply) = 5mm
    DW (7-ply w/ 3-ply rings) = 5mm w/ 2mm rings
    Keller (6-ply) = 4mm

BUT

When you cross-laminate plies in making a drum shell, you place the strongest part of the ply (the grain) against the weakest part of the other ply. Because wood is roughly 25 times stronger with the grain, you're going to get a MUCH stiffer shell with more plies than you would with simply a thick shell. And a stiffer shell means less vibration and a higher pitch. This is the theory behind the DW VLT shells.

I built a kit with 8-ply 5.4mm Keller shells expecting them to be very low in pitch, but they were actually higher in pitch than Starclassics and DW's of similar sizes. When I thumped the shells comparing 8-ply and 10-ply shells of similar sizes, the 10-ply was nearly a fifth higher (2.5 steps).

What I learned from the experience is that it is the stiffness of the shell and not the thickness that is most important.

Anyways, if I were to build again, I would use 6-ply Keller shells on the toms, 8-ply on the kick, and 10-ply on the snare. I would also go with the Starclassic maples, Pearl MMX shells, and DW Collectors as I like the lower pitched shells.

you are the man.
    THE STRONGEST NAME IN DRUMS

9. Registered User

It's very simple. Thinner shells are cheaper to produce, so the better drum manufacturers will use thicker expensive shells and the lower quality makers will use thinner shells. The lower quality makers will try to pass their chinsey thin shells off as better sounding but eventually the truth will come out in threads like this.

10. Cymbal Whore

Quote Originally Posted by Bri6366

How did I contradict myself?

Laid it all out....the numbers match my train of thought and question.

11. Cymbal Whore

Quote Originally Posted by Bri6366

You have to read it like this:

The thickness of their thin shell is 7 MM......

12. Tama Artist

How did I contradict myself?

:

Your words.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.