Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 50 of 51 FirstFirst ... 40464748495051 LastLast
Results 589 to 600 of 611
  1. It's all about me...

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Evidently Russia....
    Posts
    3,021

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Gerber View Post
    Congrats on the Session Studio Select and a 20" kick. That's what I'm hoping to get later this year in crimson burst.
    Thanks! The main shell pack is a 22, so from drivers seat, it'll be 22, 20 w/8,10,12 up, and 14, 16 on the floor - plus some other stuff....I got all kindsa goodies :-)

    Kit Pix
    Pearl Drums | Pearl Hardware | Aquarian Heads | Zildjian Cymbals | Vater Sticks | Yamaha Electronics

  2. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    long island, NY
    Posts
    736

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonah Hex View Post
    Thanks! The main shell pack is a 22, so from drivers seat, it'll be 22, 20 w/8,10,12 up, and 14, 16 on the floor - plus some other stuff....I got all kindsa goodies :-)
    Sounds similar to my MHX kit.
    Name:  DSC_2383.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  108.7 KB

    22-20-6-8-10-12-14-16
    [SIGPIC]

  3. Drumming Since 1943

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    17,187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dnice View Post
    Sounds similar to my MHX kit.
    Name:  DSC_2383.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  108.7 KB

    22-20-6-8-10-12-14-16
    One of my all-time favorite kits on this forum but I could NEVER do the different-sized kicks. I do LOVE the 2" splash though! lol
    Way Too Much Crap

  4. a.k.a. YtseJam

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sofia, Bulgaria
    Posts
    1,352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    One of my all-time favorite kits on this forum
    +11111

    BTW it's not really a splash, Paiste calls these "accents" and they are more like mini bells.

  5. Drumming Since 1943

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    17,187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hipodilski View Post
    +11111

    BTW it's not really a splash, Paiste calls these "accents" and they are more like mini bells.
    I know. Just is the smallest thing I’ve sver seen mounted on a cymbal arm.
    Way Too Much Crap

  6. The Hardware Guy

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London-ish
    Posts
    14,401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    One of my all-time favorite kits on this forum but I could NEVER do the different-sized kicks.
    100% agreement, both parts

    PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

  7. Drumming Since 1943

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    17,187

    Default

    I will say that looking at that Gibraltar rack has me seriously thinking of dumping my ICON.
    Way Too Much Crap

  8. The Hardware Guy

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London-ish
    Posts
    14,401

    Default

    I really like the look of the ICON, but I really like the advanced set up flexibility the Gibraltar gives. Of course, you'll always get the "round racks slip!" brigade - all I can say is mine never has, and my drums weigh more than most peoples drums. If you use it correctly, it's as dependable and non-slip as a Pearl rack. But there's so many more options for set ups, so many more angles you can use, and as someone who is rather anal about placement as me - I can't even use gear-tilt tom arms or cymbal tilters (Unilock FTW!), the infinite-angle adjustment that round bars give is a must. I might have an ICON in the future, just for fun - I had a DR-1 way back in pre-ICON days, and it was ok. It served it's purpose - which was to get 4 toms and a few cymbals over two virgin kicks, and speed up set-up and tear-down at gigs. And it succeeded on both those accounts.

    PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

  9. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    1,582

    Default

    I had a Gibraltar double bass rack for about a year in the early 2000's.The two front bars and two side extensions with bases for stability. The super multi-clamps and hinged memory locks throughout. Spared no expense. 8 10 12 13 rack toms mounted, 2 Mega Bell Rides, 2 hi-hats, 4 or 5 crashes, 2 or 3 China's, 2 splash. It was a meh experience at gigs. Drum risers never even so the rack over the two kicks would be uneven and the memory locks weren't of much help. Lugging it to and from stage was not fun. Also having no room at shows with 4 other bands to stash the setup in a corner. Tripods can stack up next to each other a lot easier. The round pipes also dent so if you change your setup a lot don't over tighten. I sold everything off to my friend who still has it with his various kits.

  10. The Hardware Guy

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London-ish
    Posts
    14,401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bostic View Post
    Drum risers never even so the rack over the two kicks would be uneven
    That's their biggest problem - and although it can be applied to all racks (even surface mucking up their geometry), one thing the Pearl rack has going for it is that when you encounter that, it's a lot easier to adjust the legs to suit the ground than it can be with a Gibraltar, because of the increased geometry that curved bars create (the horizontal twist of a curved front bar changes the angle of the upright legs, meaning you have to measure the level at three points across the bar; with the ICON you don't as the cross bar's rotation is fixed with it's clamps, meaning all you need to do is loosen the end clamps to allow the legs to settle where they need to be and tighten up again. Of course, not always that simple - severely uneven surface it'll never level up on: if it's too uneven, you need the rotation on the cross bar to change the angle of the legs to bring it back to where it needs to be. Nothing is without fault, but to me, the Gibraltar rack's pro's outweigh that of it's counterparts, and also it's own cons

    PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

  11. Drumming Since 1943

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    17,187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
    That's their biggest problem - and although it can be applied to all racks (even surface mucking up their geometry), one thing the Pearl rack has going for it is that when you encounter that, it's a lot easier to adjust the legs to suit the ground than it can be with a Gibraltar, because of the increased geometry that curved bars create (the horizontal twist of a curved front bar changes the angle of the upright legs, meaning you have to measure the level at three points across the bar; with the ICON you don't as the cross bar's rotation is fixed with it's clamps, meaning all you need to do is loosen the end clamps to allow the legs to settle where they need to be and tighten up again. Of course, not always that simple - severely uneven surface it'll never level up on: if it's too uneven, you need the rotation on the cross bar to change the angle of the legs to bring it back to where it needs to be. Nothing is without fault, but to me, the Gibraltar rack's pro's outweigh that of it's counterparts, and also it's own cons
    Honestly, I dont like how much visual space the square bars take up. Takes away from the drums.
    Way Too Much Crap

  12. The Hardware Guy

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London-ish
    Posts
    14,401

    Default

    Which is weird as I believe Pearl's square bars are 1.5" - the same as Gibraltar's round bars. But I know exactly what you're saying, and tend to agree with you. The round-bar racks just seem to blend in more and obscure the kit less.

    PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •