Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 26
  1. ♪. ♪. ♪. ♪.

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hella, CA
    Posts
    336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marimba6
    Buy a book called Modern School for Xylophone, Marimba and Vibraphone (or check in the music library of your bandhall) It has a blue and white cover and starts off with whole notes. Turn a metronome on at 60 BPM, then read through each line, saying the names of the notes out loud as you begin to play them. When you get to the end of the 1st page, go back and repeat the process but this time say the names of the notes and try to say the names of the notes in tune with the note you are playing. Repeat that process until you can play and say the note names out loud and in tune without mistakes. When you can do that, apply all of those concepts to page 2. Work through 1 page then stop. The next day work on the next page.

    You don't need to play those things quickly, but instead slowly and focus on learning the names of the notes, what they sound like and where they occur on the keyboard. Doing those things slowly and deliberately will over time build up your ability to play the notes and improve your sense of pitch, eventually allowing you to look at music and have an idea what it will sound like before you even begin to play it.

    Practice in this way each and every day. Learning to read music is much like learning to read a book. Remember how you did that? You started with easy words and read out loud a little everyday in class. Just do the same thing here.
    Yea, I think that's the Goldberg book? Probably the most widely known mallet percussion book besides Methods of Movement.

  2. No Drum on Shabbas!!

    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Gotham
    Posts
    13,776

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marimba6
    Heh. The piano is also lumped into the category of percussion instruments since it actually uses little felt hammers to hit the strings, so is the celesta, and the hammer dulcimer.

    Anyway, I've been a band director and percussion instructor for both middle and high school for 15 years now. I feel pretty confident my recommendations to help improve a student's reading ability are sound.
    yes that I know... but in my over 20 years of playing drums and concert percussion, I have never heard of anyone referring to the marimba or xylophone as keyboards. Different lingos in different areas perhaps.

    DESPERATELY SEEKING A MHX BASS DRUM WITH A BB-3 TOM MOUNT IN WINE RED

  3. Rogue Ex-Mod

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Ponderosa
    Posts
    4,829

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big King
    Keyboards = Piano etc.
    Mallet Percussion = Marimba, Xylophone etc.

    Perhaps this section could be renamed.
    I don't like saying it this way because timpani and bass drum are both played with a "mallet" yet when people say "mallet percussion", they usually don't mean drums. "Keyboard Percussion" lets you know that you're talking about an instrument with a keyboard style layout. It just seems more logical to me, however, I can see your point.
    My One-Of-A-Kind Masters Premium BRP in #197: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=216550

    Pearl - Ludwig - Zildjian - Sabian - Remo - Evans - Vic Firth

  4. Brett Favre is my hero

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Petal, MS
    Posts
    4,764

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big King
    yes that I know... but in my over 20 years of playing drums and concert percussion, I have never heard of anyone referring to the marimba or xylophone as keyboards. Different lingos in different areas perhaps.
    I hear people call them keyboards all the time down in the South... so I guess maybe it is just different ares.

    anyway...on the the topic..


    I great book I've found to help with reading is a Fresh Approach to Mallet Percussion by Mark Wessels. It stars very slowly and gradually picks up. I suggest it highly!

  5. Bus Stop

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    33

    Default

    anyhow. Back to topic- Practice Practice Practice.




    Or just make it up.

    BTW - Piano is a STRING instrument as it is the STRINGS that are played.
    For example:- a violin isn't a bow instrument because it is played with a bow...

  6. Rogue Ex-Mod

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Ponderosa
    Posts
    4,829
    My One-Of-A-Kind Masters Premium BRP in #197: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=216550

    Pearl - Ludwig - Zildjian - Sabian - Remo - Evans - Vic Firth

  7. Ignore me!

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Elgin, TX.
    Posts
    48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKx
    BTW - Piano is a STRING instrument as it is the STRINGS that are played.
    For example:- a violin isn't a bow instrument because it is played with a bow...
    Uh, no. A piano is a percussion instrument because the sound is initiated by striking the string with a lever driven hammer.

    Here are a few supporting examples:

    Piano is a percussion instrument. You are not plucking, strumming, or bowing the strings, like all the string instruments do.

    Piano and other keyboard instruments are categorized as percussion instruments.

    Piano especially because the percussion family creates sound by being struck, shaken or scrapped. The Piano hammer "strikes" the string.

    It also often place in this category because percussion is the catch all for the instruments that do not fit in any other category.

    However, Pianos, organ, harpsichord and clavichord are often categorized as Keyboard instruments with their own family.
    "I don't give advice. Professionals don't need it and amatuers won't listen." - Vida Chenoweth

  8. Bus Stop

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    33

    Default

    hmmm. in the UK here they are in the string class. Perhaps thats merely a cultural difference.

    kinda like the pants vs trousers thing. (and jam vs jelly) ok, maybe not exactly, but you get what I mean.

  9. Rogue Ex-Mod

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Ponderosa
    Posts
    4,829

    Default

    Could be... it's an interesting discussion either way. I can see arguments for "keyboard", "string" or "percussion" when you talk about a piano.
    My One-Of-A-Kind Masters Premium BRP in #197: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=216550

    Pearl - Ludwig - Zildjian - Sabian - Remo - Evans - Vic Firth

  10. Satan lives within

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    4,076

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKx
    hmmm. in the UK here they are in the string class. Perhaps thats merely a cultural difference.

    kinda like the pants vs trousers thing. (and jam vs jelly) ok, maybe not exactly, but you get what I mean.
    Proof?

  11. Drum Ninja

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,273

    Default

    ok, I think this discussion has really gotten off topic. Let's end it by asking an ever popular question... if a rose was called by any other name, would it not smell as sweet??? In other words, it's a piano, there is going to be no world changing event happen if it gets lumped in with percussion, strings, horns, or kazoos. To answer the topic of this post, try Goldenberg's Modern school for Xylophone. It's a great book that goes from beginner to moderate and will really help with movement.
    RBH Monarch Drums in Merlot Sparkle
    RBH Westwood Drums in Green Sparkle

  12. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    290

    Default

    This is a really awesome discussion...

    Get the book Fundamental Method for Mallets by Mitchell Peters. You'll be happy.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •