Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 25 to 36 of 41
  1. Practice

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Ill.
    Posts
    1,660

    Default

    After seeing and hearing more of Tim Adams I must say he would be added to my list.
    Augustana College student.

    "Jazz is not dead it just smells funny"-Frank Zappa

  2. Snare fanatic

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    1,047

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David Hollywood
    Oh come on... doesn't anyone want to argue with me???
    Sorry, I would have, but I just saw this almost 2 months after the fact, so now it's too late for a good argument ...

    Maybe another time.

  3. Rogue Ex-Mod

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Ponderosa
    Posts
    4,818

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrummerEH
    After seeing and hearing more of Tim Adams I must say he would be added to my list.
    Totally! You have to see Tim play to understand how amazing he is!
    My One-Of-A-Kind Masters Premium BRP in #197: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=216550

    Pearl - Ludwig - Zildjian - Sabian - Remo - Evans - Vic Firth

  4. Rogue Ex-Mod

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Ponderosa
    Posts
    4,818

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by motleyh
    Sorry, I would have, but I just saw this almost 2 months after the fact, so now it's too late for a good argument ...

    Maybe another time.
    I'm sure we'll get another chance soon!
    My One-Of-A-Kind Masters Premium BRP in #197: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=216550

    Pearl - Ludwig - Zildjian - Sabian - Remo - Evans - Vic Firth

  5. Practice

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Ill.
    Posts
    1,660

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David Hollywood
    Totally! You have to see Tim play to understand how amazing he is!
    Yeah I mean the way he rolls is just unlike anyone I've ever seen. I wish I could sound like him!
    Donald Koss is the same way, every time I see him I'm just in awe.
    Augustana College student.

    "Jazz is not dead it just smells funny"-Frank Zappa

  6. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    290

    Default

    Yeah man. Tim Adams is awesome. It was once said that he could play so soft that "his jacket made more noise from him moving around than his actual stroke."

  7. Rogue Ex-Mod

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Ponderosa
    Posts
    4,818

    Default

    ^ I'd believe it! That guy is SO good!!!
    My One-Of-A-Kind Masters Premium BRP in #197: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=216550

    Pearl - Ludwig - Zildjian - Sabian - Remo - Evans - Vic Firth

  8. Senõr Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    189

    Default

    I canīt believe no one has mentioned Rainer Seegers, the timpanist for the Berlin Philharmonic! Fantastic touch and and excellent musicianship.

    As for the chops-discussion going on here, I believe that such a word, which is often associated with speed/ the technical ability to fulfill the demands of the instrument, is not that relevant in this discussion. I agree completely that chops are necessary to become a great drummer/timpanist/percussionist, however I think that all the players mentioned in this thread are way beyond the level where you discuss whether they have good chops or not. Technical ability is just one out of so many things that are required for you to even consider auditioning for a position in a world class orchestra. I think itīs much more interesting to discuss styles and what makes any specific timpanist work so well with their respective orchestras!

    When it comes to influence... it all depends on how famous the orchestra is, ya know? I know tons of fantastic timpanist second to none who havenīt been mentioned in this thread just because their orchestra is not world famous, although they could easily hang with them.
    Dance music sounds like an idiot knocking in an endless nail.

  9. Rogue Ex-Mod

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Ponderosa
    Posts
    4,818

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tension_bolt
    I canīt believe no one has mentioned Rainer Seegers, the timpanist for the Berlin Philharmonic! Fantastic touch and and excellent musicianship.

    As for the chops-discussion going on here, I believe that such a word, which is often associated with speed/ the technical ability to fulfill the demands of the instrument, is not that relevant in this discussion. I agree completely that chops are necessary to become a great drummer/timpanist/percussionist, however I think that all the players mentioned in this thread are way beyond the level where you discuss whether they have good chops or not. Technical ability is just one out of so many things that are required for you to even consider auditioning for a position in a world class orchestra. I think itīs much more interesting to discuss styles and what makes any specific timpanist work so well with their respective orchestras!

    When it comes to influence... it all depends on how famous the orchestra is, ya know? I know tons of fantastic timpanist second to none who havenīt been mentioned in this thread just because their orchestra is not world famous, although they could easily hang with them.
    This is an excellent post. Thank you!
    My One-Of-A-Kind Masters Premium BRP in #197: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=216550

    Pearl - Ludwig - Zildjian - Sabian - Remo - Evans - Vic Firth

  10. Senõr Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    189

    Default

    No man, thank you! I love these healthy discussions.
    Dance music sounds like an idiot knocking in an endless nail.

  11. Practice

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Ill.
    Posts
    1,660

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tension_bolt

    When it comes to influence... it all depends on how famous the orchestra is, ya know? I know tons of fantastic timpanist second to none who havenīt been mentioned in this thread just because their orchestra is not world famous, although they could easily hang with them.
    True, it's sad that Tim Adams is not more famous, I mean the Pittsburg Symphony is some what world famous but and this is in no way meant to be a slam against him but I think he should be with a better and more famous symphony. But saddly the music world in the end is a business and part of success in business is knowing people. I also know tons of very talented orchestral percussionists, timpanists, solo marimba players, jazz, rock, and latin drum set players, jazz vibraphonists, hand drummers, composers, solo percussionists, and so on that haven't hit the big time because they don't know the people you need to know in order to do so.
    But I still think it's possible to take a stab at who the greatest timpanists ever were and yes a lot of my list does come from influence but I've narrowed down to my top 3 (not these timpanists are all retired, I think current players like Tim Adams and Tim Genis are amazing but I think they need to keep in the business a bit longer to truly become the icons that these players were).
    3. Vic Firth-Perhaps the most famous player for tweaking parts and changing things, there have been many players who have done this before and after him but he did it in such a stylists way.
    2. Saul Goodman-I can't think of any teacher on any instrument that plays any style of music that has had more students become successful musicians. Also his playing was so colorful and he was in some ways a pioneer in getting the timpani to take on so many different roles in the orchestra.
    1. Cloyd Duff-I have several sets of recordings of the Beethoven symphonies with some great players on them including, Vic Firth, Donald Koss, Rainer Seegers, Roland Kohloff, some more that slip my mind, and Mr. Duff. I don't know why but when I listen to Duff play on those recordings everything sounds exactly like how it should sound, his part on the 6th symphony is so powerful but he's not over powering the orchestra he just playing it so convictedly, and his part on 9 can almost bring tears to my eyes. What he could do on the instrument was truly amazing.
    There's my list for what it's worth.
    Augustana College student.

    "Jazz is not dead it just smells funny"-Frank Zappa

  12. Rogue Ex-Mod

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Ponderosa
    Posts
    4,818

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tension_bolt
    No man, thank you! I love these healthy discussions.
    Me too! I just wish more people would post!
    My One-Of-A-Kind Masters Premium BRP in #197: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=216550

    Pearl - Ludwig - Zildjian - Sabian - Remo - Evans - Vic Firth

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •