Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Pearl/Adams Sr. Marketing Mgr

Default Greatest Timpanist Ever

So who was/is the greatest timpanist of all time? Goodman? Schwar? Duff? Firth? Rabbio? Komst? give me a list and we'll start a survey:
    Shawn Lafrenz
    Pearl Corporation Education Division
    Senior Marketing Manager
    Concert / Adams Product Manager

2. Curmudgeon

Start with Firth, Hinger and Goodman. Three names who are generally considered giants and who adamantly disagreed with each other in almost all areas of the instrument and approach.
    "Amateurs practice till they get it right. Professionals practice till they can't get it wrong."

Support the artists, buy music.

Member:
    Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
    American Federation of Musicians
    Percussive Arts Society
    Vic Firth Education Team

3. Ignore me!

I would say, Cloyd Duff, Fred Hinger, Saul Goodman, Roland Kohloff and Vic Firth.

How about people that are playing or teaching currently?

John Tafoya and Tim Genis also spring to mind.
    "I don't give advice. Professionals don't need it and amatuers won't listen." - Vida Chenoweth

4. Rogue Ex-Mod

In my opinion it's Cloyd Duff. I'm also a fan of Richard Weiner, Tom Freer and Tim Adams if you want to talk about current players. Vic Firth is a legend for many reasons, but as a player only, I would take the names above.

5. Deputy Grand Poobah

Some time ago, I attended a clinic with David Gross, timpanist with the Grand Rapids Symphony. He played excerpts from "Le Sacre du Printemps"....he was barely touching the drums and this amazing sound was coming out of them. I have a set of the mallets that he used to make before he sold the mallet making operation to Black Swamp. Still great mallets. Great modern timpanist.

6. Rogue Ex-Mod

David Gross is an excellent player... and a pretty nice guy too! I also like his mallets. Good call drummaman1!

7. Snare fanatic

I studied with 2 Goodman students (one of whom was Kohloff) and one Hinger student -- also with Fred Noak, who didn't get as much recognition because he was a generation ahead and played with the Met instead of a symphony. I'd have to give the pedestal to Goodman, for setting the bar, defining the role, and leaving a legacy of students in principal chairs all over the country.

8. M-E-T-S

ME! Look for my work with the Staten Island Technical High School Concert Band.

I am sure you've heard of them... But in all seriousness I go with Firth or Goodman
    My Emerald Fade 6 piece MMX (updated pics on page 9)

My Tama Re-finishing thread

[URL=http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?t=179551My snares[/URL] (Brand spankin NEW!!!)

My crazy KEYTAR skills

"Every one pities the weak. Jealousy, you have to earn." - Arnold Schwartzeneger

9. Rogue Ex-Mod

How about Shawn Lafrenz??? He's a LEGEND in the Quad Cities and Cedar Rapids!!!

10. Registered User

Vic Firth, no contest
    Freshman year-2nd Bass
    Sophomore Year- Snare
    Junior- Snare Captain

11. Deputy Grand Poobah

Timpani is not like drum set....duh

we don't have "Modern Timpanist" magazine, so we can know who's the creme de la creme. I went to school with some AMAZING timpanists. All the symphony orchestras in Europe and Asia have BAD-A*S timpanists.

Guys like Goodman and Firth laid the groundwork, though.

12. Curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by drummaman1
    Timpani is not like drum set....duh

we don't have "Modern Timpanist" magazine, so we can know who's the creme de la creme...
    Interestingly enough, there actually was a short lived magazine called Modern Percussionist that was produced by the people at Modern Drummer. I believe that they decided that they couldn't compete with the PAS publications.
    "Amateurs practice till they get it right. Professionals practice till they can't get it wrong."

Support the artists, buy music.

Member:
    Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
    American Federation of Musicians
    Percussive Arts Society
    Vic Firth Education Team