Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Brett Favre is my hero

Quote Originally Posted by WRiddell83
    The go-to marimba mallet for me is the Innovative Percussion IP240. Works for just about everything.

This.

2. Brett Favre is my hero

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrk
    If you're someone who's just starting out, or on a tight budget, I highly recommend the Smith Mallets ebay store (google it). They make some really quality stuff for incredible prices.

This too.

3. tired person

...innovative...nuff said...
    Ummm...not...pidgeons....

4. Registered User

I started out with the Zeltsman series and I really like the sound they give me, though they're quite soft (even the harder models). I absolutely love the sound of Keikos, but I hate rattan. Currently my solo marimba mallet of choice is the Katarzyna Mycka series. They may be a tad heavy for Stevens players, but they sound fantastic.

5. Rogue Ex-Mod

Quote Originally Posted by JustDrummin View Post
    I started out with the Zeltsman series and I really like the sound they give me, though they're quite soft (even the harder models). I absolutely love the sound of Keikos, but I hate rattan. Currently my solo marimba mallet of choice is the Katarzyna Mycka series. They may be a tad heavy for Stevens players, but they sound fantastic.
    Wow, this thread was dead for two years! I'm glad to see it's back in action.

You bring up some very good points. The Encore Zeltsman mallets are fantastic but they are a bit on the soft side. I think they are fantastic for "soft" or "medium" marimba mallets but they wouldn't be a good choice if you just needed a heavy, hard mallet. The Mycka mallets, like most of the Marimba One mallets I've played, are quite heavy. That brand just tends to run a bit heavy in my opinion. That can make things tricky depending on which grip you're using but as you point out, you get a great sound from thoes heavy mallet heads. Fantastic mallets but again, not perfect for every single situation. I think it's important to keep a wide variety of mallets around. You can't just pick one brand or one series as most professional mallets are designed with a specific purpose. Good to have a mix.

I agree with you on the rattan. Nice for Vibes but I hate it for Marimba.
    My One-Of-A-Kind Masters Premium BRP in #197: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=216550

Pearl - Ludwig - Zildjian - Sabian - Remo - Evans - Vic Firth